Seth should purge the entire staff

p_phelps

3 hours ago, MeanMag said:

Oh I’m not saying this season was gumdrops. But one losing season and the guys job is on the line? Please.

You can't boil it down to a losing season. That's the bare minimum of the question.

It's the fact that we haven't beat a winning team in... 2 years? In the worst FBS conference.  And how many of those losses were massive blowouts. Lack of recruitment to fill our needs. Non existent defense for his tenure. 

Yes we made bowl games. But there's so much more depth to the issue of us being poorly coached than that. Something is rotten and needs work 

• Upvote 6

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Or a better quality coach to develop what we have. DD had lines full of guys that weren’t carrying a bunch of offers, but we had coaches to develop these young men. 

DD had some incredible coaches for developing, but I think we need to focus a little more on how Dickey's success came about.

Dickey's players didn't have a lot of offers just because nobody wanted them.  In  the pre-social media era, before every single player in HS football had a highlight video and a HUDL Profile, a ton of those players were VERY good but with zero offers...perhaps because nobody knew about them.  They were still VERY good.  These days, it's sooo much more difficult to compete because there's almost zero chance of an FBS program overlooking a good player.

I'd also like to remind people some of those guys were damn good and the Texas football scene did indeed know about them.  He nabbed some players off the DaMN Texas T100 list, IIRC (maybe @Cerebus can recall?).  That list was the closest thing we had to a high school player database at the time.  And, honestly, I am not sure we have nabbed players since then that would have made that list.  Well, Mason - duh, but he's an Okie. 😉

DD was damn good at nearly everything you want a coach to be good at, with the exception of some of his third down play calling....and maybe some fan PR lol.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, greenminer said:

DD had some incredible coaches for developing, but I think we need to focus a little more on how Dickey's success came about.

Dickey's players didn't have a lot of offers just because nobody wanted them.  In  the pre-social media era, before every single player in HS football had a highlight video and a HUDL Profile, a ton of those players were VERY good but with zero offers...perhaps because nobody knew about them.  They were still VERY good.  These days, it's sooo much more difficult to compete because there's almost zero chance of an FBS program overlooking a good player.

I'd also like to remind people some of those guys were damn good and the Texas football scene did indeed know about them.  He nabbed some players off the DaMN Texas T100 list, IIRC (maybe @Cerebus can recall?).  That list was the closest thing we had to a high school player database at the time.  And, honestly, I am not sure we have nabbed players since then that would have made that list.  Well, Mason - duh, but he's an Okie. 😉

DD was damn good at nearly everything you want a coach to be good at, with the exception of some of his third down play calling....and maybe some fan PR lol.

Not many linemen on those lists as I recall.  Jonas Buckles, Cody Spencer, etc... were probably on the list.  Awasome was a tall, rangy kid that grew into his frame, Booger's height kept the big schools away, Nick Zuniga was a great OL we got because he was married and had a kid and other schools shied away, Andy Brewster was an undersized center that killed his opponents technically.  We really didn't land a lot of kids from the DMN Top 100.  Where you hit the nail on the head was your very first sentence.  We had incredible coaches for developing.  Langston isn't doing that for us.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Not many linemen on those lists as I recall.  Jonas Buckles, Cody Spencer, etc... were probably on the list.  Awasome was a tall, rangy kid that grew into his frame, Booger's height kept the big schools away, Nick Zuniga was a great OL we got because he was married and had a kid and other schools shied away, Andy Brewster was an undersized center that killed his opponents technically.  We really didn't land a lot of kids from the DMN Top 100.  Where you hit the nail on the head was your very first sentence.  We had incredible coaches for developing.  Langston isn't doing that for us.

Booger was a state T100.  He was damn good from the get-go and is not dickeys best case for development. I think Brewster fits that bill. He was so technical for us, killing opponents with his precision and consistency.

Zuniga was also damn good straight out of HS, on some area T100 lists. was 2T-all conference as a fresh.

i think we are both right here: DD developed some low talent guys into all-conference performers. He also was a dang good recruiter, leveraging things like our dyslexia program to get Jamario, and agreeing to accommodate for Zuniga family.

I noticed you said “no offer” and not “no talent”, and really just chimed in for anyone that thinks Dickey worked his magic with low-to-no HS talent across the board.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Booger was a state T100.  He was damn good from the get-go and is not dickeys best case for development. I think Brewster fits that bill. He was so technical for us, killing opponents with his precision and consistency.

Zuniga was also damn good straight out of HS, on some area T100 lists. was 2T-all conference as a fresh.

i think we are both right here: DD developed some low talent guys into all-conference performers. He also was a dang good recruiter, leveraging things like our dyslexia program to get Jamario, and agreeing to accommodate for Zuniga family.

I noticed you said “no offer” and not “no talent”, and really just chimed in for anyone that thinks Dickey worked his magic with low-to-no HS talent across the board.

It was Leftwhich doing the developing and a great example of his Developement would be Matt Turney.  Comes in as a DT from 2A Muleshoe and gets moved to OL his Sophomore year where he started for three years, two of which resulted in two conference championships and a bowl win.

Rick.

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

It was Leftwhich doing the developing and a great example of his Developement would be Matt Turney.  Comes in as a DT from 2A Muleshoe and gets moved to OL his Sophomore year where he started for three years, two of which resulted in two conference championships and a bowl win.

Rick.

Leftwhich...probably my favorite OL coach in all of CFB since I became a fan 20+ years ago.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Nobody from North Texas recruited Zuniga. 

Zuniga had never heard from North Texas and had committed to Louisiana-Lafayette. His picture was in the local Grand Prairie paper as having committed to ULL. Somebody posted on the old Mean Green Message Board about how this local star player was overlooked and going out of state..

Zuniga's high school coach received a call the following Monday and was notified that he had received an offer from North Texas.

Richard Bridges was the same situation. Never contacted by North Texas. He was discussed on the message board one night and was informed the next day at baseball practice that he had received an offer from North Texas.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Depending on how many more high school commits we take in this class we could have 55 or so players on scholarship who are freshmen or sophomores next season. We are going to be so thin on upperclassmen next season but have a whole bunch of talented young players who redshirted hopefully ready to make an impact. Let's just make sure we have the right coaches to develop said players. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, greenminer said:

I'd also like to remind people some of those guys were damn good and the Texas football scene did indeed know about them.  He nabbed some players off the DaMN Texas T100 list, IIRC (maybe @Cerebus can recall?). 

I compiled a list of every highly valued DD recruit but I can't find it on the board right now.  Off the top of my head:

• Jamario was a Top 100, and is is still to this day the highest rated recruit we have pulled in since the return to 1A.   He was a Rivals NATIONAL Top 20 RB and the only one out of that group to sign with a non P5.  I know a large part of the board never got to see a healthy Jamario play, man was he special. 
  • Jonas Buckles was a T100, had a B12 offer (Baylor), but he signed with us. He was a late qualifier but he did qualify and Baylor never pulled that offer.
  • BK was a T100, had an SMU offer, then they pulled it, then they offered it late, he signed with us.
  • Taylor Casey had a B12 offer (Tech), he signed with us.
  • Randy Gardner was a T100, had a B12 offer, can't remember who. 
  • Roy Bishop was a T100, had a B12 offer (Baylor?), signed with us. 
  • Mike Pruitt was one of the top JUCO linemen in the country, a Juco All American.   Other schools backed off because he verballed to Kansas, he signed with us.  He was overshadowed because he player right after BK graduated.  He was incredible a player like him on any defense would solve a lot of problems.  Could stuff the run, pressure the QB,
  • Scott Hall had a B12 offer (aTm), but they wanted him as a DB.  Still, he signed with us.
  • Branch was a T100, had a UH offer, signed with us.
  • Dylan Lineberry was a T100, signed with us, and was a beast at OL.
  • Patrick Cobbs was a Oklahoma Top 40.
  • Shawn Early a Times Union (Florida) Super 24.  Also had a ton of offers, signed with us.

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I compiled a list of every highly valued DD recruit but I can't find it on the board right now.  Off the top of my head:

• Jamario was a Top 100, and is is still to this day the highest rated recruit we have pulled in since the return to 1A.   He was a Rivals NATIONAL Top 20 RB and the only one out of that group to sign with a non P5.  I know a large part of the board never got to see a healthy Jamario play, man was he special. 
  • Jonas Buckles was a T100, had a B12 offer (Baylor), but he signed with us. He was a late qualifier but he did qualify and Baylor never pulled that offer.
  • BK was a T100, had an SMU offer, then they pulled it, then they offered it late, he signed with us.
  • Taylor Casey had a B12 offer (Tech), he signed with us.
  • Randy Gardner was a T100, had a B12 offer, can't remember who. 
  • Roy Bishop was a T100, had a B12 offer (Baylor?), signed with us. 
  • Mike Pruitt was one of the top JUCO linemen in the country, a Juco All American.   Other schools backed off because he verballed to Kansas, he signed with us.  He was overshadowed because he player right after BK graduated.  He was incredible a player like him on any defense would solve a lot of problems.  Could stuff the run, pressure the QB,
  • Scott Hall had a B12 offer (aTm), but they wanted him as a DB.  Still, he signed with us.
  • Branch was a T100, had a UH offer, signed with us.
  • Dylan Lineberry was a T100, signed with us, and was a beast at OL.
  • Patrick Cobbs was a Oklahoma Top 40.
  • Shawn Early a Times Union (Florida) Super 24.  Also had a ton of offers, signed with us.

One OL and one DL.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, ADLER said:

Richard Bridges was the same situation. Never contacted by North Texas. He was discussed on the message board one night and was informed the next day at baseball practice that he had received an offer from North Texas.

Former neighbor of mine. We drank a lot of beer together lol. Great dude.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Depending on how many more high school commits we take in this class we could have 55 or so players on scholarship who are freshmen or sophomores next season. We are going to be so thin on upperclassmen next season but have a whole bunch of talented young players who redshirted hopefully ready to make an impact. Let's just make sure we have the right coaches to develop said players. 

They'll be going into Kyle field in week 2, and I bet half the starters are freshman and sophomores. 

I was shocked by how little depth we have on defense because we burned several redshirts that I thought needed to be saved.

• Upvote 1

DD had one class that almost all his success was based on. I think this was the 2001 class. 

It included 6 players that were on either the Houston Chronicle or DMN's top 100 list.

The top 100 players including Hall, Buckles, Casey, Kennedy, Gardner, and Colin Ridgeway.  There were several others in that class that became all conference level performers such as Brewster, Zuniga and Spencer.    The best class probable ever recruited at NT.

Unfortunately, Dickey never came remotely close to matching that recruiting effort.    

50 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

DD had one class that almost all his success was based on. I think this was the 2001 class. 

It included 6 players that were on either the Houston Chronicle or DMN's top 100 list.

The top 100 players including Hall, Buckles, Casey, Kennedy, Gardner, and Colin Ridgeway.  There were several others in that class that became all conference level performers such as Brewster, Zuniga and Spencer.    The best class probable ever recruited at NT.

Unfortunately, Dickey never came remotely close to matching that recruiting effort.    

Neither has any other coach here. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1