Seth should purge the entire staff

p_phelps

57 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Really not sure what this has to do with anything I said about us needing to land better quality offensive line recruits. 

6572BB12-C22A-4FF3-8863-D11AB1B683EE.png.59ecff4207221a8b9a9f6223352c423c.png

It has to do with me pointing out that FBS offer lists had little to do with the loss to Rice.

Rick 

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Really not sure what this has to do with anything I said about us needing to land better quality offensive line recruits. 

Or a better quality coach to develop what we have. DD had lines full of guys that weren’t carrying a bunch of offers, but we had coaches to develop these young men. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2019 at 1:24 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Still not to late for us all to pitch in and buy this and have shipped to Ruffin.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

6572BB12-C22A-4FF3-8863-D11AB1B683EE.png.59ecff4207221a8b9a9f6223352c423c.png

It has to do with me pointing out that FBS offer lists had little to do with the loss to Rice.

Rick 

I get that part. I’m talking about you mentioning trophy cases for stats in response to me saying Rice is towards the bottom of the conference in offense and their line is not something to aspire towards. No one is talking about giving trophies for stats. But being at the bottom of the conference does indicate something whether you hate stats or not.

I’m talking about what needs to happen to get our team where we want it to be. Yes we could have beaten Rice with the offensive line we have. Which is why I said I’m in favor of a new offensive line coach. 

But just beating a 1-9 team isn’t the goal for our program. Nor is replicating their offensive line. I think we should be bringing in more high quality recruits at offensive line. Not really a hot take. If you disagree with that, cool.

• Upvote 1

help for the ol.

11 basic fundamentals every offensive lineman should know 

OffensiveLineman735.jpg
By Will Heckman-Mark | Posted 9/11/2015

Offensive linemen are the unsung heroes of every football team. With minimal on-camera time and no fantasy stats, football games are most often won and lost in the trenches.

Steven Ciocci, a four-year starter on the offensive line at Wagner University and the current offensive line coach at Pace University, recently shared his thoughts on the most important techniques for young offensive linemen to practice and the proper way to perform each one.

Presnap count

“I always emphasize getting off on snap count,” Ciocci said. “You need to learn your QB’s cadence, learn how he speaks and the rhythm of his snap count. Train your body to respond to his snap count. The last thing you want is a bunch of false start penalties or late first steps because you can’t figure out the snap count.”

Steps to blocking

• Stance. “I can’t overstate the importance of a proper stance,” Ciocci said. “It will affect footwork on that critical first step and the ability to make initial contact with the defender. If you don’t start in proper position, your pad level and your feet will be off, and you won’t be able to generate any explosiveness.”
  1. Feet. Feet should be shoulder width apart. It’s important to keep both feet firmly on the ground to maintain balance and not lean forward on the toes.
  2. Base. Keeping the feet and shoulders aligned gives linemen a solid base. Linemen on the right side should keep their right foot slightly further back than the left foot. Vice versa on the other side of the line. There should be a toe-to-instep stagger.
  3. Hands and elbows. Moving up to the hands, the hand corresponding to which side of the line a player is on – right hand for right side, left hand for left side – should be down at the waist and ready to explode up while the opposite hand should be in front of the rib cage. Both hand positions will naturally tighten the elbows.
  4. Upper body. The shoulders should be pulled back with the chest puffed out, and the back should be flat enough to rest a bottle of water on top of it.
  5. Head. The result of these upper body positions is that the player is able to keep his head and eyesup and focused on the defender in front of him.
  • Get off. Get off is the first step a lineman takes right after the snap to put himself in position to make a block, usually a small six-inch step while cocking his arms back and maintaining a flat back. “With the get off, I always tell my guys to reach for your holstered pistols like a cowboy,” Ciocci said. “If your ends get out of position during this step, that’s how you end up getting called for a lot of holding penalties.”
  • Strike. The second step, or strike, is another six-inch step, this time with the opposite foot in which the offensive lineman launches his arms forward to initiate contact with the defender, preferably around his pectoral area.
  • Stick. After the offensive lineman strikes the defender with his hands, he will need to keep a wide base and forcefully sink his hips to maintain lavage and create a power angle in the lower body. The offensive lineman will have inside and underneath position, staying compact and closing the space inside the defender’s frame.
  • Finish. The final blocking step is the finish in which the lineman keeps his wide base, accelerates his feet and continues the leg drive to capitalize on stick and stick. The lineman must continue to work body and hand position to stay connected to the defender and maintain control. Finally, the offensive player must work his hips and hands to steer the defender away from point of attack and the ball-carrier’s path.

PASS PROTECTION FUNDAMENTALS: Watch the Continuous Set Drill by the Green Bay Packers and see how they develop their kick slide technique and an excellent hand punch.

“No matter how good your first two steps are, if you don’t follow through and finish the block, good defensive linemen will disengage from you and be able to get past you,” Ciocci said.

Types of blocks:

• Drive block. A drive blockis the most common form of block in football, performed in a one-on-one matchup between an offensive lineman and a defender. Ideally, the offensive lineman will initiate contact in the pectoral region or shoulder of the defender that is closer to the ball.
  • Doubleteam block. There is also the double team block, in which two linemen engage the same defender. Here it is important to stay hip to hip with the other blocker to make sure the defender cannot slip between any gaps and get to the ball carrier or quarterback.

Fundamentals may be more important for offensive linemen than any other position on the field. Knowledge and consistent practice of these techniques can yield great results, even against superior athletes.

“Especially for the younger players out there, it’s not about how much you can lift or how fast you can run,” Ciocci said. “You can neutralize a better athlete because technique and fundamentals for linemen is the ultimate equalizer.”

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

24 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Or a better quality coach to develop what we have. DD had lines full of guys that weren’t carrying a bunch of offers, but we had coaches to develop these young men. 

Why or? It’s a multiple variable situation, not an either/or situation.

We haven’t had an all-CUSA linemen since 2014. Here is the offer list of that player:

FIU, Houston, La Tech, Missouri, NMSU, Rice

You don’t have to have that type of offer list to become an all-CUSA player. People who point that fact out miss the logic entirely. But when you consistently sign guys with zero to two other FBS offers over years, it shouldn’t be that surprising when they aren’t turning into all conference guys. Which is exactly what we’ve seen happen.

Yes we need a better o-line coach to get the most out of our guys, and yes we need to get better recruits to have more talent to maximize. These are not mutually exclusive. And yes outliers happen, but years of studies and research on recruiting have showed that higher quality recruits pan out a higher rate and playing against the odds usually gets you burned, just like playing against the odds in anything in life.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I will just say, be careful what you ask for.  Everyone, well 95% of the posters on here, wanted Graham Harrell gone after last year.  Look at the results and what he has done in a tough situation at USC.  Sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until it is gone.  Personally, I think Langston needs to go as well as Reffett.  My concern is who takes Reffett's place?  I know Jennings is one of our own, but I have not been impressed with our DB's and I think we have talent there to play better.

Anyway, change for the sake of change isn't always the answer.  We better have better options that we can bring in.

I guess I'm that 5%

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I get that part. I’m talking about you mentioning trophy cases for stats in response to me saying Rice is towards the bottom of the conference in offense and their line is not something to aspire towards. No one is talking about giving trophies for stats. But being at the bottom of the conference does indicate something whether you hate stats or not.

I’m talking about what needs to happen to get our team where we want it to be. Yes we could have beaten Rice with the offensive line we have. Which is why I said I’m in favor of a new offensive line coach. 

But just beating a 1-9 team isn’t the goal for our program. Nor is replicating their offensive line. I think we should be bringing in more high quality recruits at offensive line. Not really a hot take. If you disagree with that, cool.

Beating a 1-9 program was the goal yesterday and we failed for the same reason we failed beating a 9-2 SMU.

The thing is we have the advantages and we’re still getting beat by those who have less to offer.

I pointed out La Tech’ and where they got their O linemen from.  

I pointed out Rice and where they got their’s from.  

Of course we should be bringing in better players but my feeling is if we suddenly went out and found them we would possibly end up with similar results .

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

Beating a 1-9 program was the goal yesterday and we failed for the same reason we failed beating a 9-2 SMU.

Sure. But our overall goal is bigger and making coaching changes and recruiting are both bigger picture than the game yesterday. Not minimizing the game yesterday either. Not mutually exclusive

The thing is we have the advantages and we’re still getting beat by those who have less to offer.

The thing is, when it comes to recruiting we absolutely are beating those who have less to offer during the 2019 and 2020 recruiting cycles. And I think it’s going to show on the field. Any point I have made about this season has always been that a big part of the problem was that we weren’t winning those battles in 2015-2017 recruiting and it’s showing. And I have always said that’s a big part of the problem but not the only problem.

I pointed out La Tech’ and where they got their O linemen from.  

I pointed out Rice and where they got their’s from.  

Of course we should be bringing in better players but my feeling is if we suddenly went out and found them we would possibly end up with similar results .

Rick

I agree with most of this. The results would not be sudden, they would take time (will take time). And yes it’s not foolproof, but I think with a better line coach and a room of linemen who were highly recruited CUSA recruits, I’ll take my chances. I think that’s what we should work towards and seemingly are pretty far off from there in both aspects. That’s my point.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I agree with most of this. The results would not be sudden, they would take time (will take time). And yes it’s not foolproof, but I think with a better line coach and a room of linemen who were highly recruited CUSA recruits, I’ll take my chances. I think that’s what we should work towards and seemingly are pretty far off from there in both aspects. That’s my point.

100% in agreement. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

I swear I saw you around during the Dodge Years. This season alone is better than any/all of Dodge's seasons combined.

Dodge didn’t have a competitive staff budget to work with.  We got what we paid for with his staff.  Also we lost the Allstate QB to injury who came with him.  Based on resources as his disposal this is one the worst coaching performances I has seen at UNT since returning to FBS level.

Looking around the conference and judging other coaches by the resources they came into the season with it is hard to find more than maybe 2 that were worse this year.

As the highest paid coach in the conference that is totally unacceptable and if the school could afford it his job would be on the line in the season finale.   (They would not have to win but a lackluster double digit loss would get him fired).

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

I remember getting happy when we won 3 games under Chico during Dodge’s last season. I was so impressed that I bought season tickets the new few seasons. I have enjoyed going to the home games over the years, but I won’t be renewing my tickets next year. I do not see us improving, and doubt there will be any significant changes this offseason. I will continue to support the program and occasionally go to games. However, the season ticket commitment is not worth it.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

11 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Dodge didn’t have a competitive staff budget to work with.  We got what we paid for with his staff.  Also we lost the Allstate QB to injury who came with him.  Based on resources as his disposal this is one the worst coaching performances I has seen at UNT since returning to FBS level.

Looking around the conference and judging other coaches by the resources they came into the season with it is hard to find more than maybe 2 that were worse this year.

As the highest paid coach in the conference that is totally unacceptable and if the school could afford it his job would be on the line in the season finale.   (They would not have to win but a lackluster double digit loss would get him fired).

Oh I’m not saying this season was gumdrops. But one losing season and the guys job is on the line? Please.

We constantly talk about resources or how much money one makes as if there is or should be a direct relationship. That’s the expectation, but there’s still a finite number of wins and losses - as there was before these guys made the type of money they do now. Thinking that money and resources entitle fanbases to wins is a joke. And it’s why they make so much money.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanMag said:

Oh I’m not saying this season was gumdrops. But one losing season and the guys job is on the line? Please.

We constantly talk about resources or how much money one makes as if there is or should be a direct relationship. That’s the expectation, but there’s still a finite number of wins and losses - as there was before these guys made the type of money they do now. Thinking that money and resources entitle fanbases to wins is a joke. And it’s why they make so much money.

2. Two losing seasons. 2 of 4 to be fair and accurate. 

• Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

I remember getting happy when we won 3 games under Chico during Dodge’s last season. I was so impressed that I bought season tickets the new few seasons. I have enjoyed going to the home games over the years, but I won’t be renewing my tickets next year. I do not see us improving, and doubt there will be any significant changes this offseason. I will continue to support the program and occasionally go to games. However, the season ticket commitment is not worth it.

Can understand this if it is strictly a personal budget decision, but if not the Athletic Department and entire program depends on season ticket sales for long term stability. Would hope everyone would buy and keep season tickets. We need long term fans even in bad years.

• Downvote 1