UAB Attendance

emmitt01

5 hours ago, Rudy said:

So, is it safe to talk about the pathetic student attendance? Or do the get a free pass because it's Thanksgiving Weekend?  Not like most of the students couldn't drive up here. 

Right on time. Yes blame the students for not driving from parts unknown to watch their beloved Mean Green lose another game in dramatic fashion. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Right on time. Yes blame the students for not driving from parts unknown to watch their beloved Mean Green lose another game in dramatic fashion. 

Nice try, but with the number of students living in DFW, I don't think a 2-3 hour drive counts as "parts unknown". 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

No. If we get passed over for a spot in a better conference, it will be because our program has failed to live up to a higher standard. That is on our coaches and athletic leadership. Our attendance today 16,406 (yeah, I couldn't keep a straight face when I typed it either. 7,000 tops), is merely a result of our team's consistent poor performance, and our leadership's acceptance of low expectations. Our fans have shown up in big numbers, time and time again, only to watch Littrell's teams crap the bed.

By the way, I'm tired of apologist like you. You and the other down voters should be trying to hold our leadership accountable for this mess, not pointing fingers at the hardcore fans that endure this garbage year after year. The coaches and staff need to step up and own this steaming pile. And, our AD needs to speak up and assure the fan base that personnel will be changing, and things are getting fixed.

That would be awesome to see this finally happen here, but I wouldn’t expect it. That’s not how things get done here.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

No. If we get passed over for a spot in a better conference, it will be because our program has failed to live up to a higher standard. That is on our coaches and athletic leadership. Our attendance today 16,406 (yeah, I couldn't keep a straight face when I typed it either. 7,000 tops), is merely a result of our team's consistent poor performance, and our leadership's acceptance of low expectations. Our fans have shown up in big numbers, time and time again, only to watch Littrell's teams crap the bed.

By the way, I'm tired of apologist like you. You and the other down voters should be trying to hold our leadership accountable for this mess, not pointing fingers at the hardcore fans that endure this garbage year after year. The coaches and staff need to step up and own this steaming pile. And, our AD needs to speak up and assure the fan base that personnel will be changing, and things are getting fixed.

Not that I don’t agree that we need to hold people accountable, but let me make sure I fully grasp why everyone’s torches and pitch forks are out.

It seems the basic argument is that Seth Littrell and Wren Baker, given our recent performance, should DEFINITELY be making some changes and heads should be rolling.  I’m guessing this is due to the salaries we are paying and the lack of “bang for the buck.”  

So, I’d assume that the AD at Texas and Tom Herman should be feeling some heat under their seats as well...right?

Tom Herman is paid FIVE MILLION dollars a year, has access to every resource imaginable, recruits in arguably the most fertile state in the country, and has a fan base that turns out without fail...oh, and didn’t inherit a dumpster 🔥.  

And what has he produced with these advantages?  Records of 7-6, 10-3, and 7-5.  That’s a combined 24-14 with zero conference titles.  You could argue that he’s faced stiffer competition, and yes he did beat Georgia, but he has a bigger budget to work with than every single team he plays (Texas spent $31,000,000 more on athletics than any other school last year) and, again, he coaches at the “big dog” school in a state where blue chip talent is everywhere you look.  

Seth Littrell in the same three year span?  Records of 9-5, 9-4, and an (admittedly) abysmal 4-8.  That’s 22-17 over that same span.   If we’re talking economy of scale, Tom Herman’s output has been relatively equal if not lesser.  

So, (and I’m genuinely curious and agree that multiple coaches on our staff need to be shown the door) would everyone agree that Texas should be assuring their fans that “personnel will be changing, and things are getting fixed”?  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Not that I don’t agree that we need to hold people accountable, but let me make sure I fully grasp why everyone’s torches and pitch forks are out.

It seems the basic argument is that Seth Littrell and Wren Baker, given our recent performance, should DEFINITELY be making some changes and heads should be rolling.  I’m guessing this is due to the salaries we are paying and the lack of “bang for the buck.”  

So, I’d assume that the AD at Texas and Tom Herman should be feeling some heat under their seats as well...right?

Tom Herman is paid FIVE MILLION dollars a year, has access to every resource imaginable, recruits in arguably the most fertile state in the country, and has a fan base that turns out without fail...oh, and didn’t inherit a dumpster 🔥.  

And what has he produced with these advantages?  Records of 7-6, 10-3, and 7-5.  That’s a combined 24-14 with zero conference titles.  You could argue that he’s faced stiffer competition, and yes he did beat Georgia, but he has a bigger budget to work with than every single team he plays (Texas spent $31,000,000 more on athletics than any other school last year) and, again, he coaches at the “big dog” school in a state where blue chip talent is everywhere you look.  

Seth Littrell in the same three year span?  Records of 9-5, 9-4, and an (admittedly) abysmal 4-8.  That’s 22-17 over that same span.   If we’re talking economy of scale, Tom Herman’s output has been relatively equal if not lesser.  

So, (and I’m genuinely curious and agree that multiple coaches on our staff need to be shown the door) would everyone agree that Texas should be assuring their fans that “personnel will be changing, and things are getting fixed”?  

From reading their fanboards, the answer is yes, they will make staff changes.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

7 hours ago, Rudy said:

Nice try, but with the number of students living in DFW, I don't think a 2-3 hour drive counts as "parts unknown". 

For better or worse the students have never shown for Saturday after Thanksgiving games. I remember being at Cobbs last game on the student side and there couldn’t have been more than 20 people in the entire student section. Someone may have pictures from that day to correct my memory but that is how I recall it.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Rudy said:

So, is it safe to talk about the pathetic student attendance? Or do the get a free pass because it's Thanksgiving Weekend?  Not like most of the students couldn't drive up here. 

Student section was 100% pathetic and the Greeks on the hill were non existent. Mason poured his blood and sweat into this program and they didnt show him a bit of gratitude. 4-7 or not, this kid deserved a better turn out. He is the reason why we have so high and mighty fans now

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

From reading their fanboards, the answer is yes, they will make staff changes.

Maybe Texas will take another stab at Saban... You think our 100 boosters are harsh on Seth n Co after this season, thousands of Bama boosters probably want Saban's head after 2 losses.

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

What is really going to be sad is that our attendance at this game will most likely be higher than the CUSA championship game.

I'll say it for the umpteenth time, we should be cautious about making cracks about CUSA CCG attendance.  We had more band members at the 2017 CCG than we had Mean Green fans, on a bluebird perfect 80 degree South Florida day.

2 hours ago, Withers940 said:

Student section was 100% pathetic and the Greeks on the hill were non existent. Mason poured his blood and sweat into this program and they didnt show him a bit of gratitude. 4-7 or not, this kid deserved a better turn out. He is the reason why we have so high and mighty fans now

Anybody else watch the Mississippi State vs. Ole Miss game while finishing off some turkey ON Thanksgiving Day?  They didn't seem to have a problem getting butts in seats.  I know they are in the SEC and this was a rivalry game and blah blah blah, but my point is that getting to the game on Thanksgiving weekend is all about priorities.  You can't tell me that the Miss State stadium was only filled with people that live in Starkville, MS.  That place only has a population of just over 25K and there were more than that at the game.  (By the way, Denton's population is more than 5x that size!)  UNT's enrollment is 10K more than Mississippi State's.

If the students and extended fan base wanted badly enough to be at the game to see Mason off, they could have.  I'm sorry so many chose to pee on Mason's last game.

ole-miss-mississippi-state-egg-bowl-2019

1 hour ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Maybe Texas will take another stab at Saban... You think our 100 boosters are harsh on Seth n Co after this season, thousands of Bama boosters probably want Saban's head after 2 losses.

I'll say it for the umpteenth time, we should be cautious about making cracks about CUSA CCG attendance.  We had more band members at the 2017 CCG than we had Mean Green fans, on a bluebird perfect 80 degree South Florida day.

I not making fun of the attendance but the CUSA championship games don't draw a lot people.  I think if UTEP or UTSA were playing at home in championship game they have a large crowd on hand.  Last years game was not well attended.   Yes, we have our own issues with attendance I am not denying that but it does seem to be a CUSA issue as well.  Unless you are elite schools attendance will be a battle.  The P-5 has caused a lot of college footballs problems, it is all about them.

I think a lot more games will be like last nights game in our near future.  I will always buy season tickets.  

2 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

I was disappointed with our attendance that day.  What was even worse was that FAU only had about 6,000 people there.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I not making fun of the attendance but the CUSA championship games don't draw a lot people.  I think if UTEP or UTSA were playing at home in championship game they have a large crowd on hand.  Last years game was not well attended.   Yes, we have our own issues with attendance I am not denying that but it does seem to be a CUSA issue as well.  Unless you are elite schools attendance will be a battle.  The P-5 has caused a lot of college footballs problems, it is all about them.

I think a lot more games will be like last nights game in our near future.  I will always buy season tickets.  

The argument that we can't draw well because we are in CUSA is an excuse for a culture problem within our fan base.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I never mentioned Littrell's salary in my post. The simple fact is Littrell is in his 4th season, and had (on paper) his best team to date. Everyone that was paying attention saw things were off before we even started conference play. Some changes could have been made but nothing was done. We just kept hearing the same weak talking points as the loses mounted. Certainly after the Charlotte catastrophe (5 Charlotte TD's in 5 second half possessions) Littrell could and should have stepped in and named Scott (former Virginia Tech DC) acting DC for the rest of the season. The continued struggles of our O line are becoming an annual talking point. Something needs to change.

I don't know if changes would have turned any of the late season loses into wins, but it certainly would not have made things worse.

As far as compensation goes.... I'll make a different comparison. Brian Kelly has been at Notre Dame for 10 seasons, and has compiled an overall record of 70-36 at their university, but he doesn't make as much as Seth Littrell. Like it or not, with big G5 money comes bigger expectations. When things go south, things need to get fixed before we have to end the season lying about having 16,000 fans on our senior day. Things could and should have been tried before the season was a complete loss. UTSA has fired Wilson. It is passed time for some on our staff to be relieved of their duties.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 2