At what point of the season...

Hunter Green

8 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

Baloney

One of lamest rationale for NT's poor performance available. Not talent, injuries, bad coaching, but because the HC may have looked at other offers. 

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1

I blame the offense. Reeder couldn't keep his guys locked in.  the only bright spot, for the most part, was the rushing game and I think that is Cobbs all the way.  Offensive coaching needs to be purged. At the very least Reeder on the hot seat. Adrian Mayes? We've had two TEs doing any work all season, and they've had limited contributions (mostly thanks to Reeder's play calling in my opinion). Why was he acquired and what the hell has he done for us?  If Langston is back I won't watch the shitshow our QBs will have to deal with next year.

On defense, Reffett and his scheme need to go. Plenty of teams in our conference have managed to do well with 4-3 and we have no excuses to use an exotic defense. Last year it worked because we had the personnel to operate it effectively, but this year shows its ineffectiveness if you lack the personnel. I know Clay Jennings is a former player but the DBs are bad.  Really bad.  Considering Nick Harvey played at least somewhat effectively in the SEC, I don't think talent is the issue.  I do think Scott has done some good with the linebackers.

And recruiting? Besides O and D Line (which are hard to recruit for G5 anyway), we've done a good job.  Our QBs lack experience but we got a better QB stable than in the past. RB?  We're good at RB depth.  WR?  We got the guys.  I think some of our younger DBs have shown promise and desperately need better coaching. Our linebackers performed well at times.  Even our Dline has played well and I think Yellock has done well with what he's been given.  The biggest unit of deficiency is the Oline.  We've had some good recruits come in but it takes a couple of years usually to coach up Oline recruits.  That being said, we've had 3 years of Langston not getting the Oline up to speed.  We've got to get someone else on the Oline otherwise we're just going to waste the talent we've brought in, and make no mistake, we've brought in some decent young talent on the Oline ready to be put to service with the right training.

But it's all a moot point if some desperate P5 program offers Seth a job and he side steps the shitshow that this season was and blames injuries (which he has done since the inexcusable loss to Charlotte).

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

14 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

No one (well certainly I don’t) knows all the facts of what surrounded this. But from the reporting I saw, Littrell would easily have been able to spin this as “yeah, I looked, but you know what, my heart was at North Texas and I chose not to go anywhere”. It didn’t seem to phase the recruits we signed last year either.

We can debate whether he is a bad/good/great coach all day, but this is hardly a Danny Mac retirement gig, take a paycheck and run the program into the ground situation sort of thing. Seth is in his early 40s and he knows that after this year to get that big P5 gig he’s going to need to build us up again. 

We obviously have some issues right now, but I don’t think it’s the Kansas State flirtation from last year. 

• Upvote 4

In Seth’s post game yesterday he said the issue was mentality.  For whatever reason I think these kids struggle to focus and get up for games.  That’s on the coaches to get right but I’m amazed how that could be an issue going into a game where your back is against the wall.  Entitlement perhaps...who knows.  But there’s definitely a mental issue in that locker room.  One area that manifests is Mose’s low snaps ALL YEAR.  It’s like a case of the yips.  Knoblauch style.  And it’s completely destroyed our offense because timing is off immediately.  There’s a lack of belief manifesting itself in poor execution. 

• Upvote 1

Why is Adrian Mayes a coach here?  Well, he is, by all accounts, a great recruiter, and a TE’s coach. Now remember, GH’s scheme didn’t utilize a TE so we had our starter back who was injured all year, a walk on as his back up and a true freshman that it appears we red shirted. You can throw in a couple walk ons as well. We are bringing in two highly regarded TE’s in Roberts and Lee, but we have to rebuild that position that was ignored for three years. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

No one (well certainly I don’t) knows all the facts of what surrounded this. But from the reporting I saw, Littrell would easily have been able to spin this as “yeah, I looked, but you know what, my heart was at North Texas and I chose not to go anywhere”. It didn’t seem to phase the recruits we signed last year either.

We can debate whether he is a bad/good/great coach all day, but this is hardly a Danny Mac retirement gig, take a paycheck and run the program into the ground situation sort of thing. Seth is in his early 40s and he knows that after this year to get that big P5 gig he’s going to need to build us up again. 

We obviously have some issues right now, but I don’t think it’s the Kansas State flirtation from last year. 

that offer never happened

• Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, tmjerm said:

In Seth’s post game yesterday he said the issue was mentality.  For whatever reason I think these kids struggle to focus and get up for games.  That’s on the coaches to get right but I’m amazed how that could be an issue going into a game where your back is against the wall.  Entitlement perhaps...who knows.  But there’s definitely a mental issue in that locker room.  One area that manifests is Mose’s low snaps ALL YEAR.  It’s like a case of the yips.  Knoblauch style.  And it’s completely destroyed our offense because timing is off immediately.  There’s a lack of belief manifesting itself in poor execution. 

That is allllll coaching

• Thanks 1