This can’t be good...

C Rod

14 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

63-49 Argyle, final.  Hell of a game by Renfro and his team against #1

Renfro’s  numbers.  14-28-306 yards, 3tds. 2ints...the last was on an attempted Hail Mary.

Kid sounds like a fighter.  I hope he comes to play for us.

Rick

If only he could play defense. Amirite??

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, FirefightnRick said:

Of course.  And if he could and was ever asked to I bet he’d simply ask where and when, and work 100% at being the best at it?

Rick

It's hard to get on board with this type of tinkering when you see how well Siggers is doing at his natural position.   He could probably be serviceable at Safety where he was moved last year, but he's killing it at RB!   Not every fast guy can play in the Secondary well.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's hard to get on board with this type of tinkering when you see how well Siggers is doing at his natural position.   He could probably be serviceable at Safety where he was moved last year, but he's killing it at RB!   Not every fast guy can play in the Secondary well.

True.

BTW...another guy folks seem to forget when talking QB depth is Will Kuhne.  

Go watch his highlight vid.  The kid played at a top level and seems to have that passion you look for in a field general.  

We got some great depth at QB right now.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

Just now, FirefightnRick said:

True.

BTW...another guy folks seems to forget on when talking QB depth is Will Kuhne.  

Go watch his highlight vid.  The kid played at a top level and seems to have that passion you look for in a field general.  

We got some great depth at QB right now.

Rick

All those years post-DT we couldn't find a decent QB... let alone a whole stable of actual QBs.  It's nice!   

The offensive skill positions (sans TE, and the cavalry is coming in a few weeks with Roberts & Lee) are just loaded.   Wish we could spread some of that excess over to the OL.

• Thanks 2

On 11/20/2019 at 10:17 AM, FirefightnRick said:

How would we know we haven’t “found” him yet?  How would we know what we have currently on our roster?

Rick

That's what I meant.  We as fans have zero clue who will hold the reins....coaching staff might but it is clear that we will regress in QB play quite significantly 

21 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

but it is clear that we will regress in QB play quite significantly 

I guess it’s not that clear to me. We may have someone even better than Mason?  At least I’m holding out hope we do.  Actually I’m hoping we don’t need someone better because our defense is going to suddenly become stellar.

Excuse me now while I sit over here and hold my breath...

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

As a observation, except for Charlotte and possibility California, our other four losses were against teams bigger,faster, and stronger. In the New Mexico Bowl last year it was obvious we were overmatched, and Utah State showed us what a top 25 team looked like. We need to really improve our recruiting of linemen on both sides of the ball. I don't know how many sacks we have YTD or how that compares with the rest of the conference, but when you are only rushing 3 linemen who can't get to the QB then the defensive backs are in for a long day no matter how good they are.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, wardly said:

In the New Mexico Bowl last year it was obvious we were overmatched, and Utah State showed us what a top 25 team looked like.

I went over to 247 and looked at the average composite score at OL, then DL, from 2013 to 2018 classes.  USU beat us 4 of those 6 years at OL (TEs were not factored in).  On DL, the teams split 3/3

This doesn't really disprove anything you say.  Moreso, for me, it inspires some questions about player development.  For example, are we that bad about OL coaching? Why aren't we as good as USU on the DL? etc....

2013 USU OL: .7709 (4)
2013 UNT OL: .7730 (6)

2013 USU DL: .7503 (2)
2013 UNT DL: .7367 (2)

2014 USU OL: .7403 (3)
2014 UNT OL: .7742 (2)

2014 USU DL: .7536 (7)
2014 UNT DL:  .7597 (4)

2015 USU OL: .7858 (5)
2015 UNT OL: .7801 (5)

2015 USU DL: .8129 (1)
2015 UNT DL:  .7671 (5)

2016 USU OL: .8115 (2)
2016 UNT OL: .7737 (4)

2016 USU DL: .779 (1)
2016 UNT DL: .8077 (4)

2017 USU OL: .814 (2)
2017 UNT OL: .7691 (6)

2017 USU DL: .7561 (3)
2017 UNT DL: .7797 (2)

2018 USU OL: .7848 (4)
2018 UNT OL: .7772 (4)

2018 USU DL: .8253 (2)
2018 UNT DL: .7859 (4)

Edited by greenminer

1 hour ago, wardly said:

As a observation, except for Charlotte and possibility California, our other four losses were against teams bigger,faster, and stronger. In the New Mexico Bowl last year it was obvious we were overmatched, and Utah State showed us what a top 25 team looked like. We need to really improve our recruiting of linemen on both sides of the ball. I don't know how many sacks we have YTD or how that compares with the rest of the conference, but when you are only rushing 3 linemen who can't get to the QB then the defensive backs are in for a long day no matter how good they are.

The lineman in this class is looking pretty solid. I would say we need a transfer, but Plantin (from Va Tech) has done nothing this year. DL isn't really jumping off the page in recruiting or the actual roster. The only guy that has NFL talent is by far Novil.

Next year will be interesting for sure

Most posts allude to our weakness at TE, at least until Lee and Roberts get here but have we written off Alberding?  I think that he will be a rock as well.

Unless we find someone wanting to come here who walks on water, I believe that TE, QB and RB are set for several years.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

Most posts allude to our weakness at TE, at least until Lee and Roberts get here but have we written off Alberding?  I think that he will be a rock as well.

Unless we find someone wanting to come here who walks on water, I believe that TE, QB and RB are set for several years.  

My attitude about bringing in players is "Lines first" then look at the other needs. Because, to use a roadway-vehicle analogy......it doesn't do you any good to have a performance car if the roadway is full of potholes......large potholes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

On 11/21/2019 at 11:21 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

You're quacking like a duck though.

It really was a simple question.   And I'm sorry it's black & white, but with all of your caveats, eventually you have to boil down the argument.
So, knowing what you know TODAY (remove the "ifs"):
If WB had a check written to him for <$Buyout-amount> only to be used to can Littrell, and we could continue to pay the HC what we're paying Littrell now, would you want him to pull the trigger without knowing who would step in to replace him?

So I'll go ahead and answer this now: unequivocally yes.  Even if it's an unknown I think we have peaked.  Time to take seth out back and old yeller him.

• Upvote 2

On 11/19/2019 at 8:12 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Dangling carrots. They don't even have a freaking HC. That whole staff very well may be wiped clean, as well as the current commits. 

Any chance that we can bring in both Renfro and Briles if the whole staff is released? Briles annual FSU contract is $200K + $800K incentives. 

Any increase over Reeder's salary could be offset by hiring Frank Wilson to coach defense for a lower rate. If released, UTSA has to pay his full salary for the next few years, except what he receives from his future employer.

C900ADCC-D1CD-465A-8733-668DAD24CA4C.jpeg