HS playoff game at Apogee

Marty

54 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Shouldn't we just be happy there is a playoff game at Apogee?  I recall lots of consternation on this site just a couple of years ago regarding such use of Apogee and/or the lack thereof.  Playoffs for Texas High Schools include so many teams and divisions now, and way too many 3-4-5 wins schools that finding appropriate places to play has to be an issue. Seems every year there are some long travel distances for some of the schools.  The way they make up the divisions these days certainly leads to such issues as much as anything else.  No big deal at all for Alverado fans, but Brownwood?  Hey, maybe Denton will see some hotel rooms booked for a night or two by Brownwood fans and perhaps a few of our restaurants and/bars will see some out of town money as well. 

besides another big plus is showing off Apogee to all of the future UNT Alum in Brownwood and Alvarado.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

That's the place that really makes sense, there or Glen Rose, but I don't know how many folks their stadium will hold.

Tarleton 10K , Glen Rose 7K, Apogee 30,850

I personally am very happy about the game being played at Apogee.  4-A has some good players a coaches, exposure to the facility is always good.

The worst travel I say in the brackets is Decatur (40 miles east of Denton) playing Mountain View (El Paso) in Odesa.  Almost 5 hours for Decatur and 4+ for Mountain View for the Area Round...

• Upvote 2

On 11/18/2019 at 11:21 AM, KRAM1 said:

Shouldn't we just be happy there is a playoff game at Apogee?  I recall lots of consternation on this site just a couple of years ago regarding such use of Apogee and/or the lack thereof.  Playoffs for Texas High Schools include so many teams and divisions now, and way too many 3-4-5 wins schools that finding appropriate places to play has to be an issue. Seems every year there are some long travel distances for some of the schools.  The way they make up the divisions these days certainly leads to such issues as much as anything else.  No big deal at all for Alverado fans, but Brownwood?  Hey, maybe Denton will see some hotel rooms booked for a night or two by Brownwood fans and perhaps a few of our restaurants and/bars will see some out of town money as well. 

Sorry my comments got the discussion somewhat out of hand,  but all I said was that it was a bit odd for a couple of schools to each go so far out of their way. I'm delighted that two schools with such long traditions are going to be at Apogee. Maybe it will inspire the next Hut Allred to come and play football for NT. Here is his "high school freshman" highlight reel.

Edited by SilverEagle

20 hours ago, ipd054 said:

Tarleton 10K , Glen Rose 7K, Apogee 30,850

I personally am very happy about the game being played at Apogee.  4-A has some good players a coaches, exposure to the facility is always good.

The worst travel I say in the brackets is Decatur (40 miles east of Denton) playing Mountain View (El Paso) in Odesa.  Almost 5 hours for Decatur and 4+ for Mountain View for the Area Round...

Actually, the whole time I lived in Decatur we only had to drive 28 miles to Denton. And we were west of Denton.......🙄

It seems that lately Decatur is cursed with long drives in their initial playoff meetings. Last year (2018) they played Dumas in bi-district and the neutral spot was in Oklahoma.

.Dumas (8-2) vs. Decatur (4-6), 7 p.m. Friday, Weatherford, Okla. (SW Okla. Univ.)

Of course, I'd rather drive to Weatherford Okla, than Odessa Texas.................😎

On 11/19/2019 at 9:44 AM, SilverEagle said:

Actually, the whole time I lived in Decatur we only had to drive 28 miles to Denton. And we were west of Denton.......🙄

It seems that lately Decatur is cursed with long drives in their initial playoff meetings. Last year (2018) they played Dumas in bi-district and the neutral spot was in Oklahoma.

Of course, I'd rather drive to Weatherford Okla, than Odessa Texas.................😎

Region 1 travel is quite often loooong distance, especially after the first round. Decatur might choose to feel fortunate for the long drives as that keeps them out of the murderers row of region 2...

Edited by Army of Dad

On 11/20/2019 at 1:32 PM, Army of Dad said:

Region 1 travel is quite often loooong distance, especially after the first round. Decatur might choose to feel fortunate for the long drives as that keeps them out of the murderers row of region 2...

Interestingly, Decatur beat five teams during the regular season who are playing in the second round this week.  They’ve had a good run this year.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

On 11/22/2019 at 9:55 AM, ipd054 said:

The travel did not seem to bother Decatur who won 69-0 after being up 62-0 with over 4 min left in the half.   Next up Dumas....

Azle v Abliene Cooper will be a good game.

* From the El Paso Times.

Eagles offense too much

Decatur scored nine touchdowns in the first half and led 62-0 at half. 

Running back A.J. Martinez scored three touchdowns, two on runs and one on a touchdown catch. 

Wide receiver Dalton Jackson also caught two touchdowns and defensive back Jackson Carroll returned a punt 66 yards for a score. 

Decatur quarterback Roman Fuller had six touchdown passes in the first half. Fuller has verbally committed to Tulsa. 

Earlier this season, the Eagles scored 68 points in a win against Burkburnett. 

* Roman Fuller is the son of the Head Coach.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1