'20 RB Kaedric Cobbs- Denton Guyer

UNT18Grad

Just looking over the roster and RB seems to be a position of need in the next couple of years for us, at least for depth.  Sure we have 2 more years of Siggers and 4 of Adaway, but outside of that we lose Easly this offseason and then lose Smith, Torrey, and Johnson all in the same year.  With only 1 RB commit currently was just curious what you guys thought of looking into a local kid?  He caught my eye with his performance in the 1st round of playoffs tonight: 28 carries, 245 yards and 5 touchdowns against a good Hebron team.  After a bit more digging he has a decent offer list so far, valedictorian of his class, and RB is a position I feel like you can never have too many of..thoughts?

https://247sports.com/Player/Kaedric-Cobbs-46040505/

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

Just looking over the roster and RB seems to be a position of need in the next couple of years for us, at least for depth.  Sure we have 2 more years of Siggers and 4 of Adaway, but outside of that we lose Easly this offseason and then lose Smith, Torrey, and Johnson all in the same year.  With only 1 RB commit currently was just curious what you guys thought of looking into a local kid?  He caught my eye with his performance in the 1st round of playoffs tonight: 28 carries, 245 yards and 5 touchdowns against a good Hebron team.  After a bit more digging he has a decent offer list so far, valedictorian of his class, and RB is a position I feel like you can never have too many of..thoughts?

https://247sports.com/Player/Kaedric-Cobbs-46040505/

Completely agree. Was thinking the same thing. Also, there is a very real chance that Siggers and Adaway are our only two returning scholarship backs next year. Torrey, Smith, and Evan Johnson may want to spend their last season of college football getting the ball more than they would behind Siggers. I think it might be a good idea to add one more back this class for that reason.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I Would like to have him but I think we can get him without giving up a scholarship.  It used to be if someone was full time working at UNT their kids could go for free.  Not sure if that is still the case.  @Cerebus or anyone else know?

Also I wonder if his scholarship offer lists doesn’t reflect the fact most schools know he’s going to UNT to be with his dad.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I Would like to have him but I think we can get him without giving up a scholarship.  It used to be if someone was full time working at UNT their kids could go for free.  Not sure if that is still the case.

Everyone was saying that when we were recruiting Riley Dodge, but it wasn't the case at all.  Even if we could, it would still count against the football scholarship limits, since all football players on any kind of scholarship (athletic, academic, or whatever) count against those limits.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I Would like to have him but I think we can get him without giving up a scholarship.  It used to be if someone was full time working at UNT their kids could go for free.  Not sure if that is still the case.  @Cerebus or anyone else know?

Also I wonder if his scholarship offer lists doesn’t reflect the fact most schools know he’s going to UNT to be with his dad.

does his dad work for UNT?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Not sure if that is still the case.  @Cerebus or anyone else know?

UNT has a program for employees and their children.   The university will cover the costs off all fees.  That is a huge savings, but doesn't cover tuition, room, board, books etc.  The student also wouldn't be eligible to receive the cost of living stipend.

I know it's UNT gameday but Guyer just played a playoff game that will go down as one of the best.  Down 41-14 halfway through the 3rd, they scored 36 unanswered, recovering 3 of their 4 onside kicks along the way to win 50-41, wow.  Another impressive showing for Kaedric- 28 carries, 194 yards and 3 TD.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

I know it's UNT gameday but Guyer just played a playoff game that will go down as one of the best.  Down 41-14 halfway through the 3rd, they scored 36 unanswered, recovering 3 of their 4 onside kicks along the way to win 50-41, wow.  Another impressive showing for Kaedric- 28 carries, 194 yards and 3 TD.

He would fit in perfect here at UNT

23 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

“Recruiting has gotten so flawed since the internet has become so prominent,” Walsh said, “There’s too many college coaches worrying about what everybody else is doing and going by the meat market standards, versus putting the tape on like you used to. Put the VCR tape in, play it and find good football players. Because in the state of Texas right now, you’re going to have a hard time finding an overall better football player than Kaedric Cobbs.”

Not sure how I feel about this statement.  I have always thought the opposite: with videos and HUDL profiles available at the end of a mouse click for every single possible player, coaches can easily see film.

But he's the one that's coaching HS football, so...maybe I have this wrong?

• Upvote 1

On 11/24/2019 at 2:56 PM, Marty said:

Looks like Luke Walerius is the only one on our staff that he follows & follows him on his Twitter account.

Yikes... I do though so he knows that someone wants him to come here

Oh and Patrick Cobbs of course

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

“Recruiting has gotten so flawed since the internet has become so prominent,” Walsh said, “There’s too many college coaches worrying about what everybody else is doing and going by the meat market standards, versus putting the tape on like you used to. Put the VCR tape in, play it and find good football players. Because in the state of Texas right now, you’re going to have a hard time finding an overall better football player than Kaedric Cobbs.”

Not sure how I feel about this statement.  I have always thought the opposite: with videos and HUDL profiles available at the end of a mouse click for every single possible player, coaches can easily see film.

But he's the one that's coaching HS football, so...maybe I have this wrong?

I think both are right, all the sites make things much easier for those who choose to put in the work and watch stuff that way, but I think what he is trying to say is that the majority of schools and coaches just follow along with other's choices when it comes to offering vs not.  You see it all the time that once 1 or 2 serious offers come through there will be a rush of several more, I think UNT even has a couple schools who seemingly offer shortly after we do on some guys.

Specifically in this case and especially after reading the article I see a kid who seems like he would really appreciate a chance being taken on him, and unless a string of P5 offers come along I would like to think if we got in early we would have a really good chance.  Hope the staff takes another look at this one.

• 3 weeks later...