NT vs Arkansas (Can I watch it anywhere!?)

UNTexas

4 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I actually don’t disagree with you philosophically on style of play. But you’re way underselling the talent gap between the very very top tier and everyone else. 

Good tactics can diminish talent in soccer. This isn’t like football where shear strength, size, and speed on the front lines will typically dictate the game. Team cohesion and strategy can far outweigh talent. 
ultimately, every team in the tournament has athletes. They are all good. They can’t get there without being good. There is no way we get utterly dominated like we have every tournament game if we had the style I suggest.  

as one who was actually close to some of the players when I was in my undergrad, they agreed. The coaches required them to play long ball, whether they really wanted to or not. But long ball is the easiest to coach. It’s also the easiest to coach against. 😕 

if there is a talent gap as large as you say... all the more reason long ball won’t work as it requires fast and savvy forwards to out muscle and out-everything the defense. We don’t have that which makes it kinda ridiculous of a strategy. 

one more thing of note: while watching the game I didn’t really see Arkansas as truly overmatching our team with talent.  They weren’t really stronger or faster or even had that greater skill in touch and individual control. They simply had a better strategy, moved better, controlled the game and flow better. That is tactics and strategy. Not talent. 

Edited by Travis
  • Ray 1

20 hours ago, Travis said:

Good tactics can diminish talent in soccer. This isn’t like football where shear strength, size, and speed on the front lines will typically dictate the game. Team cohesion and strategy can far outweigh talent. 
ultimately, every team in the tournament has athletes. They are all good. They can’t get there without being good. There is no way we get utterly dominated like we have every tournament game if we had the style I suggest.  

as one who was actually close to some of the players when I was in my undergrad, they agreed. The coaches required them to play long ball, whether they really wanted to or not. But long ball is the easiest to coach. It’s also the easiest to coach against. 😕 

if there is a talent gap as large as you say... all the more reason long ball won’t work as it requires fast and savvy forwards to out muscle and out-everything the defense. We don’t have that which makes it kinda ridiculous of a strategy. 

one more thing of note: while watching the game I didn’t really see Arkansas as truly overmatching our team with talent.  They weren’t really stronger or faster or even had that greater skill in touch and individual control. They simply had a better strategy, moved better, controlled the game and flow better. That is tactics and strategy. Not talent. 

Image result for exactly gif

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Beating the SEC champs on their home field is equivalent to our football team winning at LSU! Last two years we’ve had a bad draw against top ten nationally ranked teams on their home field...which is huge in women’s soccer! I believe when we host one day the few haters will see a completely different result in this P5 tournament! Still really proud of this team being the first NT program to host the Conference Championship trophy on our home field...beating the #32 ranked team FAU 5-2! That was a fun game to be at especially how we totally dominated #1 seed in the second half! This program has now won 8 CUSA titles, 6 in a row, 7 NCAA appearances and a total of 16 conference championships overall! #GMG #UNT Soccer Dynasty!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, blurbeard said:

Beating the SEC champs on their home field is equivalent to our football team winning at LSU! Last two years we’ve had a bad draw against top ten nationally ranked teams on their home field...which is huge in women’s soccer! I believe when we host one day the few haters will see a completely different result in this P5 tournament! Still really proud of this team being the first NT program to host the Conference Championship trophy on our home field...beating the #32 ranked team FAU 5-2! That was a fun game to be at especially how we totally dominated #1 seed in the second half! This program has now won 8 CUSA titles, 6 in a row, 7 NCAA appearances and a total of 16 conference championships overall! #GMG #UNT Soccer Dynasty!

I totally agree. It's really difficult to try to beat a top 10 team, that is probably the best defense in womens soccer