Notre Dame sellout streak expected to end at 273 games

Harry

Notre Dame's streak of 273 home sellouts is expected to end with Saturday's game against Navy, according to the school.

The streak -- the second-longest active run to Nebraska's 373, according to the South Bend Tribune -- dates back to the final game of the 1973 season, when Notre Dame beat Air Force on Thanksgiving Day in a game that was moved from Saturday to accommodate an ABC telecast. Notre Dame Stadium then had a capacity of 59,075 and the turnstile count was 57,236. The current capacity is 77,622.

read more:  https://notredame.rivals.com/news/notre-dame-stadium-sellout-streak-will-likely-end-at-273-games

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

That article is actually genius....could result in a sell out.

However, it shows a bigger picture issue with college sports and sports in general. And Navy is ranked....it's not like this is a spare non conference game...

Yeah that’s my thinking as well.  You have to get more creative to attract people off their couches and hi def screens.

Die hard or not it is hard to convince the family to get out to a game where we will have to get to the game in below freezing temperatures and it will only get a few degrees above freezing during the game.  My buddies and I will make it but the kids are 50/50 staying at home and the wife will tell me not to wake her on my way out...     If the streak is broken it is because of the scheduling.  Notre Dame hardly ever has games in November and never this late in the month.  Poor planning results in poor attendance.  

297662433_southbend.jpg.709d851f3d6795ac79e69eab24712fb0.jpg

• Eye Roll 1

Back in the 70s, local broadcasts of the Dallas Cowboy games required a sell out prior to the Wednesday before (I think) kickoff.  Frequently, a big retailer (Gibson's ??) or Schweppe's Dairy would buy the remaining tickets, creating a sell out, and thereby providing Sunday afternoon entertainment for thousands in the DFW area. 

The article didn't say how many tickets were not sold and so, depending on what that number is, I'm surprised some big business person in South Bend doesn't endear himself to millions of Irish fans and keep this streak alive. 

36 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Back in the 70s, local broadcasts of the Dallas Cowboy games required a sell out prior to the Wednesday before (I think) kickoff.  Frequently, a big retailer (Gibson's ??) or Schweppe's Dairy would buy the remaining tickets, creating a sell out, and thereby providing Sunday afternoon entertainment for thousands in the DFW area. 

The article didn't say how many tickets were not sold and so, depending on what that number is, I'm surprised some big business person in South Bend doesn't endear himself to millions of Irish fans and keep this streak alive. 

During Cowboy blackouts in the 70s my dad would climb on the roof and point the TV antenna toward Oklahoma to pick up the game.  Depending on the weather, sometimes it worked.

15 minutes ago, GBarksdale said:

During Cowboy blackouts in the 70s my dad would climb on the roof and point the TV antenna toward Oklahoma to pick up the game.  Depending on the weather, sometimes it worked.

There would be a ton of RVs parked at a rest area along I-35 near Hillsboro, picking it up out of Waco.

28 minutes ago, GBarksdale said:

Yep, we had what we called a "Channel 12" atennae that was pointed towards Sherman.

18 hours ago, Harry said:

Yeah that’s my thinking as well.  You have to get more creative to attract people off their couches and hi def screens.

It's not even the high def screen, it's the amount of football you can get on that screen all day. I love tailgating and going to games but we're talking 7-8 hours of missed football when you do. 

On 11/15/2019 at 7:48 AM, ipd054 said:

Die hard or not it is hard to convince the family to get out to a game where we will have to get to the game in below freezing temperatures and it will only get a few degrees above freezing during the game.  My buddies and I will make it but the kids are 50/50 staying at home and the wife will tell me not to wake her on my way out...     If the streak is broken it is because of the scheduling.  Notre Dame hardly ever has games in November and never this late in the month.  Poor planning results in poor attendance.  

297662433_southbend.jpg.709d851f3d6795ac79e69eab24712fb0.jpg

Well, just in the last ten years they've had games later in the month.

2017 - vs Navy 11/18/17

2016 vs Va Tech 11/19/16

2014 vs Louisville 11/22/14

2013 vs BYU 11/23/13

2012 vs Wake Forest 11/17/12

2011 vs Boston College 11/19/11

2009 vs Connecticut 11/21/09

Edited by CMJ
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1