ESPN Bottom 10, Rice @ #3

Coffee and TV

3. Minute Rice (0-9)

If you've ever prepared Minute Rice, then you know that you have to keep an eye on it. It has to be pulled from the stove at just the right moment or in an instant it will go from perfectly cooked to a hot, wet mess. After a season-long simmer, it's time to keep our eyes on the Owls, who will finish the season with three contests against opponents with losing records, including the annual Bottom 10 Bowl season finale against ...

Boxes of Minute Rice cost $1.99 at Kroger.  Can everyone going to the game bring a box to hold up?  Make sure to buy the white rice to represent Rice University...

Minute rice.jpg

Edited by ipd054
Added the Minute rice reference from the article
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

It will be very telling if we lose to an 0-9 team. It’ll basically let us know that we are going to have SL here for about 3 more years unless we pony up some serious cash. We bought out DMac for around $2 million, IIRC. The next buyout could easily be more than double if he doesn’t turn things around.

• Eye Roll 1

Rice has been pretty competitive in their home games but just hasn't quite come up with a win, which is partially due to the level of competition.  They've lost at home to Baylor by 8, Louisiana Tech by 3 (in OT), Southern Miss by 14, and Marshall by 13.  They also lost at home to Texas and Wake Forest by larger margins way back in September, but I don't think those games are particularly relevant to this discussion.  

I would imagine that Rice feels like they've played fairly well against teams that are WAY better than North Texas and that this is a prime opportunity to finally break through with a win, as it is their last home game.  Meanwhile, we are winless on the road and seem to be headed the wrong direction.  Other than Cal, in every other road game we've significantly underperformed vs. the point spread.  

I want to be optimistic, but I'm really having a hard time viewing this as anything other than a tossup--at best.  I tend to think the team that comes out more fired up and desperate to end their season on a high note will win, and I'm not so sure that's going to be North Texas. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, RBP79 said:

Rice is looking for there signature yearly win. Don't get over confident....

Right.

Army beat them by 7.

Baylor beat them by 8

La Tech had to beat them in OT.

Marshal only beat them by 13.

S. Miss only beat them by 14.

....and we play them after a bye.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Right.

Army beat them by 7.

Baylor beat them by 8

La Tech had to beat them in OT.

Marshal only beat them by 13.

S. Miss only beat them by 14.

....and we play them after a bye.

Rick

I think you will still agree that losing to them at this point would be absolutely disappointing and would add one more level of suckitude that this place has provided to us for so many decades.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I think you will still agree that losing to them at this point would be absolutely disappointing and would add one more level of suckitude that this place has provided to us for so many decades.

We've already dropped 1 unacceptable loss this year to Charlotte.    
We simply CANNOT lose to a winless team.   Period.
That puts all of the pressure on our guys.   I hope they understand, and are ready to respond.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We've already dropped 1 unacceptable loss this year to Charlotte.    
We simply CANNOT lose to a winless team.   Period.
That puts all of the pressure on our guys.   I hope they understand, and are ready to respond.

If you finish this season with wins over ACU, UTSA, MUTS, UTEP, and Rice, it looks terrible. Take away 0-9 Rice from this list and its setting you up for a real probability of falling back into being no better than the 3-4 wins per year program we have been averaging for the last 30 years...