Mason Fine NFL Draft

Philip Ferguson

35 minutes ago, Philip Ferguson said:

https://www.nfldraftgeek.com/2020-nfl-draft-quarterback-rankings/

This article is dated 11/8 so things may have changed a bit after LaTech.  But, he's in good company on this ranking.  GMG

image.png.64ade0990abcc4c584c951ac45f648e6.png

Aside from height, mason has definitely got to be a 4th rounder at most. He's got brains, skill , and leadership which is 66% more than most QB drafts got. If he gets drafted that nfl team is definitely my new favorite to follow (after the hot boys of course)

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Observations for post-MF in Denton

"Over Fine’s 47 games for North Texas, he’s shown that he’s much more than just a product of the system - he’s taken the system to another level."

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2019/11/11/20958859/three-things-we-learned-from-conference-usa-football-lane-kiffin-seth-littrell-malcolm-davidson

• Upvote 2

This is just another reason I think we will look back and say why why oh why did we not do everything possible to maximize the career of a once in a lifetime quarterback??

NFL future opportunities are just another reason why this could come back to bite us.  Kid has been running for his life all 4 years in C-freaking USA.  Why?

12 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

As much as I love Mason, for some reason it is hard for me to see him being drafted.  I really hope he does, but I think a lot of teams are going to be concerned about durability.

Well, if he can play behind a line that doesn’t get him crushed over and over, his durability will increase immensely. He’s broken down this year for two reasons: this OL sucks ass and he’s taken 4 years worth of a beating because his line play has never been real solid. His marquee play against UTSA in 2017 said all you need to know about him—knew the hit was coming from the blitz straight up the guy with nobody even touching the defender, threw a perfect strike, got crushed into the turf and barely was able to get up. 

Mason Fine won us many games that many more “talented” QBs couldn’t have done in his career. I give SL credit for having the contact in OK to get him here when he looked at the QBs here and knew immediately that Fine as freshman from podunk Oklahoma was already way better than anyone on the roster. But I give Mason the credit for making SL look like this great young coach. I’m telling you that without Fine, SL will have a lot to prove, most likely losing out on the P5 gig because Fine will be gone.

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Harry said:

This is just another reason I think we will look back and say why why oh why did we not do everything possible to maximize the career of a once in a lifetime quarterback??

NFL future opportunities are just another reason why this could come back to bite us.  Kid has been running for his life all 4 years in C-freaking USA.  Why?

Because we've whiffed on OLine recruiting for years, and we don't have the correct OL coach to make lemonade out of lemons.   Plain & simple.

EDIT:  The interior linemen have been OK.   Tackles (outside of Mayfield) have not.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

Mason isn't getting drafted, IMO. He had a chance, if we had been able to protect him and given him the defensive help to win more games and put up the kind of gaudy numbers he did in a few games this year. 

He would have had to be in the national conversation, both through wins and numbers. 

For reference, Minshew won the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm award, broke Jared Goff's Pac12 passing yardage record, won 11 games, was the Pac12 Offensive Player of the Year, and finished 5th in Heisman voting. He went in the 6th round. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

I would be interested in hearing Mason’s thoughts on potentially playing for a team with the name “Redskins”. That could be a story heading up to the NFL Draft. 

Don't think he'll care...In Oklahoma we have High Schools with mascots like Broken Bow Savages LOL. That's just one. Political Correctness has pretty much miss here north of the Red River. Oklahoma Native Americans don't seem to get butt hurt as much as others when it comes to name referencing.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

I think he gets drafted.  The young man is just too talented not too.  NFL scouts will look past the issues noted above, really none the fault of Fine, and see a young man that works through his progressions, can make all the throws and is as tough as nails.  I don't get people questioning his durability.  A lesser young man would not have played in a 1/4 of the games Fine did because of his dogged determination.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Downvote 2

On 11/13/2019 at 9:06 AM, Harry said:

Once again, Mason is a great player, but this "once in a lifetime" and "generational player" talk is way premature.  Sure, some things probably are.  He basically started all 4 years.  It may be a while before we have that again.  He is an incredible underdog story, ultimately becoming what will probably be a top 30 all time NCAA passer. We may not get another one of those for a long time because it pretty much requires starting all four years.  But I refuse to believe we will never have another elite quarterback.

• Upvote 2