UNT regents to hear proposal for on-campus golf practice facility

Harry

Seeing that we are opening a campus in Frisco and the PGA HQ is moving to Frisco and building 2 18 hole courses  and a 9 hole technical course. Why not associate with the PGA similiar to what FISD is doing and the way we do with the Star and Cowboys? Couldn't hurt recruiting, the campus will be right across the DNT, obviously the PGA facilities will be amazing, and the exposure would be great.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UNTexas said:

Seeing that we are opening a csmpus in Frisco and the PGA HQ is moving to Frisco and building 2 18 hole courses  and a 9 hole technical course. Why not associate with the PGA similiar to what FISD is doing and the way we do with the Star and Cowboys? Couldn't hurt recruiting, the campus will be right across the DNT, obviously the PGA facilities will be amazing, and the exposure would be great.

That would make sense for a home course, but the on campus practice faculty was a must. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

That would make sense for a home course, but the on campus practice faculty was a must. 

Oh definitely. I'm all for the on campus facility. You have got to practice after class. Plus its right there with the rest of the teams, trainers, and athletic dorms. 

Hopefully they build the new basketball facility on the hill like they spoke about a while back. 

6 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

Oh definitely. I'm all for the on campus facility. You have got to practice after class. Plus its right there with the rest of the teams, trainers, and athletic dorms. 

Hopefully they build the new basketball facility on the hill like they spoke about a while back. 

I think the basketball arena needs to stay right where it is....as close to the dorms as possible.

• Eye Roll 1

14 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

The old course didn’t have a parking lot along side the fairway.  I’m wondering about big net fencing, like top golf.  Otherwise, if they are off to the right, their ball could bounce a long way (or go through a car window).

image.gif.bfbc7391bee3cb15beabfaa93dff4659.gif

I have heard that it will have a high net between it and the parking lot.

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2019 at 4:02 PM, Harry said:

Someone asked for a picture. I think that’s him on the far left:

8B7363A6-96C1-4547-BB3F-0CEC5F65B851.jpeg

Nah, that’s a hologram of Roy Orbison. Just kidding. Thank you Mr. Westheimer.  Golf is my passion.  Having a close-by practice facility is a must.  Sometimes you only have an hour or two a day to work on your game so being able to maximize that time instead of traveling is huge. Drawings look impressive. I assume the hitting nets (inside) would be open late. Anyone know if it includes a simulator or just nets?  Is lighting the outdoor facility too much to hope for?  That would be icing on the cake. 

On 11/16/2019 at 1:19 PM, UNTexas said:

Seeing that we are opening a campus in Frisco and the PGA HQ is moving to Frisco and building 2 18 hole courses  and a 9 hole technical course. Why not associate with the PGA similiar to what FISD is doing and the way we do with the Star and Cowboys? Couldn't hurt recruiting, the campus will be right across the DNT, obviously the PGA facilities will be amazing, and the exposure would be great.

I seem to think i remember UNT being a part of the package when they announced the move to Frisco.

On 11/15/2019 at 9:31 AM, UNTLifer said:

Why is that?

Seriously?  A down vote for asking why the women's team doesn't play or practice at Maridoe?  Must be Archie Bunker the golfer on here.

It is my understanding, from helping work a UNT women's tournament held at Lantana last year, that Maridoe is not "set up" well for the women's game. The tournament I worked at Lantana, The one Bruzzy sponsors for women's teams, was at first played at Maridoe, but was moved to Lantana last year from Maridoe.  Now, I have not played Maridoe, so I really do not know what the challenge is with the set up...perhaps too long, but Lantana is certainly not a short course either.  But, I certainly do know that some courses are set up better for men than women and vice versa.  I know, from my experience, that there are certainly courses better "set up" than others for my game as well. While the UNT women may not consistently practice at Maridoe, they are certainly welcome, to do so any time they wish.

Anyway...just what I heard.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

It is my understanding, from helping work a UNT women's tournament held at Lantana last year, that Maridoe is not "set up" well for the women's game. The tournament I worked at Lantana, The one Bruzzy sponsors for women's teams, was at first played at Maridoe, but was moved to Lantana last year from Maridoe.  Now, I have not played Maridoe, so I really do not know what the challenge is with the set up...perhaps too long, but Lantana is certainly not a short course either.  But, I certainly do know that some courses are set up better for men than women and vice versa.  I know, from my experience, that there are certainly courses better "set up" than others for my game as well. While the UNT women may not consistently practice at Maridoe, they are certainly welcome, to do so any time they wish.

Anyway...just what I heard.

Thank you.  That makes sense.  It sounded like the women weren't allowed to utilize Maridoe and I thought it would be odd that UNT would be in agreement with them if this were the case.

• Downvote 2