UNT regents to hear proposal for on-campus golf practice facility

Harry

The North Texas board of regents will consider a proposal to build an on-campus golf practice facility during its regularly scheduled meeting on Thursday.

The proposal for the venue includes a clubhouse, hitting bays, a putting green and offices for UNT's coaches.

UNT officials estimate the facility will cost between $2 and $3 million. It is slated to be built on an open piece of land near Apogee Stadium and will be named after longtime booster Jerome Max "Bruzzy" Westheimer.

read more: https://dentonrc.com/sports/breaking-news-unt-regents-to-hear-proposal-for-on-campus/article_de2b805c-c653-5482-b9be-073ded1cb9f5.html

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

😄

To clarify, where on the old course?

My understanding this will be built in the park area between where all the RV's park on game day and the road.  Which is why it upsets me on a selfish level.  I love parking my trailer there and letting the kids play all day on game day.  That said I don't come to enough games to truly be upset but as it currently stands UNT has the best tailgaiting areas of any school. I just hate to see that messed with.  

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

8 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

My understanding this will be built in the park area between where all the RV's park on game day and the road.  Which is why it upsets me on a selfish level.  I love parking my trailer there and letting the kids play all day on game day.  That said I don't come to enough games to truly be upset but as it currently stands UNT has the best tailgaiting areas of any school. I just hate to see that messed with.  

There's a pretty wide area to the west of the RV parking strip along the edge of the parking lot. The new facility and the current tailgating setup are not mutually exclusive.

• Upvote 1

From the article: "Westheinmer contributed $1.5 million toward construction of the venue in September. UNT does not currently have an on-campus golf practice facility. Maridoe Golf Club in Carrollton is the home course for both the UNT men’s and women’s teams."

This is especially good news for the women's team, since they do not play or practice at Maridoe Golf Club and go to other courses in the area. That should be examined, Mr. Vito.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Professor Lambeau said:

This is especially good news for the women's team, since they do not play or practice at Maridoe Golf Club and go to other courses in the area. That should be examined, Mr. Vito.

Why is that?

Seriously?  A down vote for asking why the women's team doesn't play or practice at Maridoe?  Must be Archie Bunker the golfer on here.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

19 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

This confirms @HoustonEagle's concern, as it appears they plan on using up that entire patch of the old golf course South of the pond & East of the parking lot (bumping all the way up against the RV parking spaces on the far side of the lot).  I guess there will still be some space a little further South to play, but that may make it a little harder to keep an eye on your kids.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

7 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I have to think it is going to be fenced off.  Maybe I'm wrong.

5 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Most are not, the old course was not. 

The old course didn’t have a parking lot along side the fairway.  I’m wondering about big net fencing, like top golf.  Otherwise, if they are off to the right, their ball could bounce a long way (or go through a car window).

image.gif.bfbc7391bee3cb15beabfaa93dff4659.gif

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

The old course didn’t have a parking lot along side the fairway.  I’m wondering about big net fencing, like top golf.  Otherwise, if they are off to the right, their ball could bounce a long way (or go through a car window).

image.gif.bfbc7391bee3cb15beabfaa93dff4659.gif

Are you trying to tell me something about our golf team? 

I think even with  a net it  would be a good distance from the parking lot. The diagram looks wide enough not to need one to me. Topgolf is very narrow at the end of the day and for any old slob that is drinking.