Do you believe in the Mean Green?

xyresic

Your take is too generous and rose colored. We’ve won zero big games, and zero bowl game wins over the past couple years with all of that same institutional support and an all-UNT history QB. We’re correcting back to the mean, which at UNT equates to .450 football. 

Next year’s team is in for a world of hurt. There is no depth, or if there is they’re having a terrible year. The shine has been rubbed off of SL, and he’s not going anywhere. We’ll look back on these years and be incredibly angry that we didn’t capitalize on the many opportunities to make real changes to the program. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 14

Do I believe in the Mean Green? Well, I believe in the all the people, (most of them graduates and some not), who are devoted to this school and all it's programs despite the mostly inept way in which (down the corridor of years) it has been run. You won't find a more selfless bunch of people.....and long suffering fans. 

I think that SL and most of the coaches that came before him, were pretty clueless about the challenges of being a coach at North Texas. But I believe that that cluelessness is not just because they didn't want to fully realize the depth of the challenge ahead of them, but that the administrators who hired them enabled that view of North Texas.  

God only knows what most of these coaches were told by the person(S) who hired them, but I am confident that most of it was fantasy. And in particular, the fantasy that the administrator knew the coach wanted to hear......and was willing to believe. You know, I'd be willing to bet some serious money that the coaches that weren't hired were the ones who said things like "what do you mean by that?" or "well, that's not what I heard about the program"  or "you know, I'm pretty sure I can turn things around here, but I'll need more support than what you are talking about" 

Looking back, I feel confident that only two coaching hires since Rod Rust was fired knew what they were getting themselves into. They were Hayden Fry and Corkey Nelson. Jerry Moore was fortunate enough to be hired away from North Texas after two years (the last coach to do so) before he fully understood all the challenges ahead of him. 

In all those years since Rod Rust was fired, there have been countless numbers of dedicated student athletes who have come and gone here at North Texas. Many are still engaged with the program in some level or other. But many walked away, (hopefully with their degrees in hand),  totally disillusioned and disgusted with their experience. I'll never forget the look on the face of a former player whom I had engaged in conversation during a game at Fouts. After he told me that he used to play for North Texas I asked him his name....Tom Middaugh. So I immediately said "Well, there he is folks #87 on your program".  He couldn't believe his ears. He had NO EXPECTATION.....NONE....that he would have been remembered by a fan. 

But I believe with all my heart that if this exchange had taken place between a Longhorn, Aggie, Texas Tech, or TCU fan and one of their former players........the player would not have been so surprised. 

And I also believe with all my heart that that exchange is analogous of the overall challenge of changing the culture here at North Texas. 

BUT I do believe in the Mean Green because the very nickname was coined NOT by some clueless administrator or overpaid consultant  but by a very devoted and lifelong fan of our program Sydney Graham (with assistance from her husband Fred).  And guess what? It's withstood the test of time.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, meangreenlax said:

Your take is too generous and rose colored. We’ve won zero big games, and zero bowl game wins over the past couple years with all of that same institutional support and an all-UNT history QB. We’re correcting back to the mean, which at UNT equates to .450 football. 

Next year’s team is in for a world of hurt. There is no depth, or if there is they’re having a terrible year. The shine has been rubbed off of SL, and he’s not going anywhere. We’ll look back on these years and be incredibly angry that we didn’t capitalize on the many opportunities to make real changes to the program. 

Oh, there will be depth. We'll have an abundant amount of WR's and safeties. 

The recruiting things is being so over-hyped. It's a macro-look at conference ranking and star counts. We have no recruited well where it matters. And that will be exposed even more so moving forward into the future. Someone tell me who our starting 5 OL will be next year. Right when you do (if you got it figured out), I will post their offer sheets and you will see where we stand. Same for the starting DL rotation. It's a bleak reality we've decided to nestle ourselves into. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Facilities, attendance and recruiting is definitely trending way up! Did you notice La Tech's crowd (homecoming, 7-1 and 7,000 people at the game?) and, the absolute worst football stadium in the FBS yet they continue to recruit well, explain that one?

We finally have an AD that knows what his doing, Seth isn't going anywhere for now, if he doesn't win he's gone! He better realize "defense" wins championships". We had many injuries and no cover corners with speed on defense; that can't happen again! While I'm at it we need defensive linemen!!! Perhaps, Seth has learned from his mistakes?  

This year's recruiting class is the best in the history of the program (assuming it holds until signing day). People, things are very bright for the future of this program. The most impressive thing I see is the fan base is growing tremendously, 40,000 students means we are bigger that most and will continue to grow in the metropolitan area. 

Two things, football and men's basketball, that's all that matters in this game of thrones; don't care about any other sport, these create revenue and national recognition! If you really want to win keep the donation coming, buy season tickets; next year should be a good one!

One last thing, we're not going to a bowl game this year, just not going to happen, next year!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

If we ever hope to be a top notch program, we can't settle to be the training ground for future coaches. We need to get those guys in the door, get the classes in the door, today. Not 10 years from now.

Seth was great for establishing culture, but the program has now grown beyond him. We need someone who can win the big games. Recruit the big classes. Not just flail around trying to figure out if he's good enough. Hire someone who's good enough. For nearly 2Mil a year, we can do better.

We need to get off the treadmill and into the open road. We are still spinning our wheels trying to pick our direction.

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

I still believe.

We can beat an 0-9 Rice team. UAB may be 6-3, but their wins have come to an FCS team and 3  teams with 0 FBS wins themselves, and UTEP who beat 0-9 Rice. The one outlier is UTSA and they have beat teams with 0-1 FBS wins (we all know what UTSA is this year). Game is at home on MASON FINE DAY. Lets get to it, make a bowl, and finish the season strong. 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Oh, there will be depth. We'll have an abundant amount of WR's and safeties. 

The recruiting things is being so over-hyped. It's a macro-look at conference ranking and star counts. We have no recruited well where it matters. And that will be exposed even more so moving forward into the future. Someone tell me who our starting 5 OL will be next year. Right when you do (if you got it figured out), I will post their offer sheets and you will see where we stand. Same for the starting DL rotation. It's a bleak reality we've decided to nestle ourselves into. 

I think we bring in some JUCOs to go with M. Mose (Army/Navy), Anthony and Brammer.  The OL isn't settled and has been a weak spot in our recruiting, but I think we have talent at the position, but not the right coach.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I agree with both of you.   I also doubt we'll see another Fine (I mean, maybe we will, but he's going to finish his career as a top 25 all-time QB statistically).   

But I'll take upgrades in OL, DL, CB, LB play next season over finding another Mason Fine every day, just because that would improve our team more than what just 1 guy can.  We should be able to expect the team to be excellent even after great players leave.

I agree with you, a great OL can make an average qb look very good.  If he has time and decent arm he can be dangerous.

• Upvote 1

Quite honestly, I love being Mean Green and having a degree from here, but my belief and expectations for our football and basketball teams are just don’t embarrass my degree. I want for the best, but I’m conditioned at this point to realize our institutional lack of support for decades CANT make up that gigantic gap to get to the expectations so many of you have on this board. Why? Because its killed off tens of thousands possible fans AND our reputation with the most important folks your program needs—the coaches and media in the state. La Tech doesn’t worry about any of this even with piss-poor facilities, all because they are not thought of as an also-ran in the media and with LA and TX HS coaches. Look at SMU—no fans, no success for 30 years. But the media is jerking off because of the memories they are conjuring up. We have none of it. Once you realize just how little we cared until the last 5 years, you can recognize just how far we gotta go to compete year-in and year-our with the SMUs, La Techs, and UHs of the world.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, cogido said:

I love the Green but... Seth needs to have lunch with Sonny Dykes just 30 miles down the road and find out how a team NT beat a year ago can suddenly jump into the Top 25 in the nation and stay there while UNT sinks back to the bottom.

Chad Morris couldn't win worth a damn but he recruited solid players.

Couple that with a buttload of P5 players that were immediate eligible. Put them in a proven offensive system and you've got a top 25 team.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I’m not bagging on you alone for this comment but it underlines a recurring illness this fanbase always seems to fall prey to.

We can never hope for or expect for a better coach, a better player, a better this or that.  

No folks,...we can hope for and expect better.  Hope for and expect a better team, not just for one player.  

It’s called having standards and accountability.

Rick

clayton keller hockey GIF by NHL on NBC Sports

• Upvote 1