Chad Morris Out

Big Z

They can't afford another hiring mistake. They now owe last two coaches about $20 million or so. It would be impossible to sell a 5&7 coach who is 28 & 25 in 4 years and has our program back  with the same regular season record as his 1st season.[ I gave him win against Rice, loss against UAB]. I would think they need a big hire from a big, successful program, preference being SEC. Having said that, I don't have a clue what established head coach with SEC pedigree would be interested. Arkansas is smallest state in terms of population in the SEC. They must get every 4 star player from the state, and even that's not enough. They lost pipeline to Dallas/ Ft. Worth and Houston when they left SWC about 25 years ago. During that time they have won 2 Western Divisions and lost both times in SEC Championship.They are probably a step below Mississippi and Mississippi State, and that's being generous.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, SMUleopold said:

Arkansas spends $10M on Chad's buyout. 
Dykes goes to Arkansas, who spends another $6M on Sonny's buyout. 
Buechele graduates in one year with his MBA, and due to new transfer rules goes to Arkansas to get his PhD in Feline Hunting and Culinary Preparation.  He is joined by the upper half of SMU's 2020 recruiting class, never to be heard from again. 
Arkansas opens with a loss to Nevada and Sonny is fired when they lose  to Charleston Southern 51-9, costing them another $15M. 

Heard it here first. 

Plot twist: John Stephen Jones steals the starting job and wins heisman after a 0-2 start

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

We will beat Rice and UAB. 

Back on topic, I think Arkansas goes after the Memphis staff first. 

They'd be crazy not to.  Norvell is an outstanding recruiter and he will have Arkansas back up and running.

It won't happen but I think Sonny at SMU and Coach Fritz at Tulane would be solid choices.  They both can recruit.

Just now, Harry said:

They'd be crazy not to.  Norvell is an outstanding recruiter and he will have Arkansas back up and running.

It won't happen but I think Sonny at SMU and Coach Fritz at Tulane would be solid choices.  They both can recruit.

Fritz has built back up that Tulane program. Him and maybe Saban since some Bama fans want him out of Tuscaloosa

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Is Morris worth a look to replace Bodie Reeder? I have NOT been impressed with him. As bad as Reffett has been, I feel Reeder has been worse.

There are those of us who tend to believe that Morris' was in over his head as a HC and that his real talent is as an OC.  It's been shown a number of times at a few different schools, and that alongside his contacts at the HS level he would be a very strong OC pick.  Not being funny or picking a fight - if you can get him, get him. 

As far as Norvell goes....

I grew up in Memphis.  A number of people are saying that that the inside scoop on Norvell is that the reason that he was passed over for a few P5 jobs is that he has some  personal issues that could be a concern.  The term 'college girls' has come up in a few discussions, and that has scared a few programs off.  We'll see if that matters here.  

If I were a razorback I'd take a look at Fritz.  National championship at one level and now rebuilding Tulane?  Seems like a winner to me. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, wardly said:

They can't afford another hiring mistake. They now owe last two coaches about $20 million or so. 

Nothing I saw while touring their facilities and campus last year would lead me to think they can’t afford whatever in hell they want to afford.

Pro teams like Cleveland, San Diego, Cincinnati and New York Jets would love to have such a place.

They simply need to quit hiring bozos who don’t know what to do with all the high rated recruits they bring in. 

Arkansas has been the poster child example of why I pay very little attention to the recruiting circus and worrying over offer lists.

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

12 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Nothing I saw while touring their facilities and campus last year would lead me to think they can’t afford whatever in hell they want to afford.

Pro teams like Cleveland, San Diego, Cincinnati and New York Jets would love to have such a place.

They simply need to quit hiring bozos who don’t know what to do with all the high rated recruits they bring in. 

Arkansas has been the poster child example of why I pay very little attention to the recruiting circus and worrying over offer lists.

Rick

$20 million is still a bitter pill to swallow regardless of their resources, and yes they need to do a better job hiring, which is not an exact science . For example, look at FSU, or better yet out own hiring track record.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Well, you should. Their recruiting is sub-par. For SEC standards, it's been horrible until this last class by Morris. They have some talent, sure. But they aren't bringing in what you think they are. Last year, Morris brought 8 blue chip kids to Fayetteville, more than any other year since 247 has been accumulating statistics (2004?). And it's only 8. 3 or 4 teams in their very division bring in 20+ a year. 

Their best way to change, is a philosophical change. They can't play the brand of football they have been playing. Hiring Chad Morris was the right direction to implement this change, get them back down the Petrino road. But Chad Morris is incompetent and WE all knew it was a bad hire from the get go. But they need to stay pat on this road because of the fact that they CAN'T recruit up to standards to consistently compete with their peers. Never have been able to, never will be able to. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Wild to see Seth’s name on the top potential candidate lists. If we go 6-6 and win a bowl game does he become hot?

That's cute. "win a bowl game" is so far beyond our current staff and teams capability, even in their BEST year. Staff isn't going anywhere, which is unfortunate because they can't do the job and we are stuck with the check.

• Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

49 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I haven't seen Les Miles' name mentioned....

I would think he would be worth a look given his history and skins...

If you watch Miles to Go on ESPN+, the guy knows his stuff and it is evident. Amazing just the first year transformation he has made at KU, even in things such as the number of staff in the recruiting department to allotting resources to the areas of greatest need only a seasoned coach who has been there would know. That being said, I think he is in a good situation. The pieces are already there (explosive offensive weapons) and a couple of game changing plays and this team is middle of the pack, Big 12 in just his first season. That being said, everyone said KU was a dead end job yet he still took it. A lot of people say that about Arkansas but it is back in the SEC for him and pay might be a bit more substantial so who knows? I doubt he leaves after his first season, though. He's in a good spot. 

Just now, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

If you watch Miles to Go on ESPN+, the guy knows his stuff and it is evident. Amazing just the first year transformation he has made at KU, even in things such as the number of staff in the recruiting department to allotting resources to the areas of greatest need only a seasoned coach who has been there would know. That being said, I think he is in a good situation. The pieces are already there (explosive offensive weapons) and a couple of game changing plays and this team is middle of the pack, Big 12 in just his first season. That being said, everyone said KU was a dead end job yet he still took it. A lot of people say that about Arkansas but it is back in the SEC for him and pay might be a bit more substantial so who knows? I doubt he leaves after his first season, though. He's in a good spot. 

The faster he moves on from Kansas, the better for North Texas.   We could go toe-to-toe with Kansas for recruits and win prior to his arrival.  Same with Dykes at SMU.

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Well, you should. Their recruiting is sub-par. For SEC standards, it's been horrible until this last class by Morris. They have some talent, sure. But they aren't bringing in what you think they are. Last year, Morris brought 8 blue chip kids to Fayetteville, more than any other year since 247 has been accumulating statistics (2004?). And it's only 8. 3 or 4 teams in their very division bring in 20+ a year. 

Their best way to change, is a philosophical change. They can't play the brand of football they have been playing. Hiring Chad Morris was the right direction to implement this change, get them back down the Petrino road. But Chad Morris is incompetent and WE all knew it was a bad hire from the get go. But they need to stay pat on this road because of the fact that they CAN'T recruit up to standards to consistently compete with their peers. Never have been able to, never will be able to. 

I sould what?

Rick

4 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Oh man....that last article has a video that ranks the candidates. of the top 10, they have Littrell ranked #2!!

insanity

You could  of knocked me down with as Eagle feather when I saw that.In addition, if Southern California head coach gets fired, Gram Harrold [sic?] would be available to Seth at Arkansas or as head coach at UNT.

• Upvote 2