Game Invocations

UNT 90 Grad

I’ve been to two away games this year (and will go to Rice in a couple weeks).   Both SMU and LA Tech had pre-game invocations.   My memory isn’t so great anymore, but I don’t recall having invocations at North Texas home games, thou I’m assuming they used too.  

Just curious from those that know, any history behind UNT not having invocations?

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

Both USM and LaTech were homecoming games and get this...they had traditional homecoming naming a male and female king and queen.... Can you believe that!!!But we're way ahead at NT with our progressive home coming lol...

Typical. 

*And we wonder why our football following struggles. Wellllllll

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

Both USM and LaTech were homecoming games and get this...they had traditional homecoming naming a male and female king and queen.... Can you believe that!!!But we're way ahead at NT with our progressive home coming lol...

The interesting thing about our homecoming court is that the NT students actually voted not to change it to the current format. The change was made anyway a few years later. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I’ve been to two away games this year (and will go to Rice in a couple weeks).   Both SMU and LA Tech had pre-game invocations.   My memory isn’t so great anymore, but I don’t recall having invocations at North Texas home games, thou I’m assuming they used too.  

Just curious from those that know, any history behind UNT not having invocations?

I noticed the same thing at SMU, recalling that at ALL the (smalltown) HS games I attended in the 70s/80s had invocation and tried to remember if I ever saw one at NT.  I wasn't surprised about SMU since they are a private, Christian school.

45 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Alright :cracks knuckles:, time for the annual argument. Considering I'm the one the wrote the SGA legislation that made this change, let's go.

Huh. I'm pretty sure my own football following is fairly well documented at this point. I was in Ruston yesterday. Were you?

After that referendum result, we took an evaluation of what people took issue with, and at the time it was the coupling format. Well, that's an easy enough switch that is not in and of itself offensive to change.

So here's the mindset: if you're not actively inclusive, typically you're passively exclusive. We sought after the former, and after fairly robust debate, compromise, and drama in the Senate that year, it ultimately passed.

My good pal @Jason Howeth and I were distinctly at odds over this legislation in our Senate capacities, but I'm happy to say we're still fast friends even now. Though we'll still readily rib each other over politics. 😉

The end-all-be-all is that eight times out of ten, the Homecoming Royalty are an identifying man and woman. But when in those two other times, its just as readily celebrated. And that's an objectively good thing. People have access to a celebration that they did not before.

No, man it's all good. But, typically, you know what I mean. Usually. Most often times. etc. 

And, no, I wasn't in Ruston. Wasn't about to drive 9 hour round trip for that mistake. Made that regret to ABQ back in December. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

On 11/10/2019 at 5:39 AM, UNT 90 Grad said:

Like... a prayer? Before the game? Why would we do that?

I think I see the players having their individual prayer time. You can pray up in the stands on your own time. You think a prayer is giving LT their 8-1 record? 

• Upvote 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 8

On 11/10/2019 at 8:59 AM, DeepGreen said:

As it should be.

On 11/10/2019 at 5:18 PM, Christopher Walker said:

So here's the mindset: if you're not actively inclusive, typically you're passively exclusive. We sought after the former, and after fairly robust debate, compromise, and drama in the Senate that year, it ultimately passed.

The end-all-be-all is that eight times out of ten, the Homecoming Royalty are an identifying man and woman. But when in those two other times, its just as readily celebrated. And that's an objectively good thing. People have access to a celebration that they did not before.

Two very different opinions.   

Let me help you in a way maybe some of you more gray/silver-haired folks will remember:

Mothers and Fathers throughout the land, 
please don't criticize what you can't understand,
your sons and your daughters are beyond your command,
your old road is rapidly aging,
please get out of the new one if you can't lend a hand,
for the times they are a changing.

**Nevermind that a majority of the time, the Mothers and Fathers are usually the ones who actually hold the understanding.
How many of us knew everything we needed to know at 18-22?**

Unfortunately for Deep, your opinion is meaningless because "your old road is rapidly aging".

EDIT:  I see there's quite a bit of confusion with this post.
The point of this post was to show the older folks that the sentiments they're experiencing today, are the same ones their generation shared back in the day, courtesy of Mr. Dylan's lyric.   
My opinion was inserted in the "**".  I'm in no way telling DeepGreen his opinion is meaningless... That part was meant to be extremely sarcastic, and more of a commentary of how the younger generation sees his contributions.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 7

9 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

You think a prayer is giving LT their 8-1 record?

That’s a great question.

There was some dumbass thread here a while back, can’t remember when, that linked to a discussion that asked something along the line of “Would you take a bullet  to the leg for a national championship?”  

And of course there were people who,...unlike our local Vietnam Veteran in this very thread DeepGreen( Thank you for your service sir)....had zero idea of the actual carnage a GSW does to human flesh and bone, started foolishly jumping in saying they certainly would take a bullet for a NC and why blah, blah, blah(so very stupid).  

So....let me ask everyone here something along a similar line?

Would you be willing to remove your hat, bow your head and publicly say a prayer asking for peace, safe guidance & security to all in attendance if it guaranteed an 8-1 record for North Texas?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 8
  • Downvote 2

44 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

That’s a great question.

There was some dumbass thread here a while back, can’t remember when, that linked to a discussion that asked something along the line of “Would you take a bullet  to the leg for a national championship?”  

And of course there were people who,...unlike our local Vietnam Veteran in this very thread DeepGreen( Thank you for your service sir)....had zero idea of the actual carnage a GSW does to human flesh and bone, started foolishly jumping in saying they certainly would take a bullet for a NC and why blah, blah, blah(so very stupid).  

So....let me ask everyone here something along a similar line?

Would you be willing to remove your hat, bow your head and publicly say a prayer asking for peace, safe guidance & security to all in attendance if it guaranteed an 8-1 record for North Texas?

Rick

You goddamn right I would!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 5:18 PM, Christopher Walker said:

My good pal @Jason Howeth and I were distinctly at odds over this legislation in our Senate capacities, but I'm happy to say we're still fast friends even now. Though we'll still readily rib each other over politics. 😉

Quoted in the Dallas Morning News, and recipient of multiple death threats through Facebook. What a time!

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

From what I observed in my travels with the team, southern schools (Alabama, LSU, Troy, LaTech, USM, Lafayette and even Monroe) do Homecoming right.   

UNT??? I guess I was as confused as the most of the "court" was....  

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1