Injuries/ Nutrition/ Strength

American_Patriot

Honestly, I don't think it's strength and conditioning.  Maybe on the defensive side it is an issue, but on offense, almost all of our players that get hurt get hurt trying to do too much. Shorter got hurt trying to get extra yardage on a second effort, Hair-Griffin went down trying to get extra on the kick off.  You don't see good teams have this problem this frequently because the players know their system and know how to get open and not put themselves in bad situations.  Sometimes you need to know when to not fight for the extra yardage.  Also, our QBs, including Mason, could be better about not throwing to a receiver that is going to get walloped when they catch it.

• Upvote 2

The injuries are not a strength and conditioning issue. Hair-Griffin was knocked out, not sure what the issue is with Shorter, Moore’s ankle got caught under him, Fine had a concussion, etc...  Our O-Line is short but heavy enough outside of Brammer. Recruiting doesn’t result in injuries either. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, UNTLifer said:

The injuries are not a strength and conditioning issue. Hair-Griffin was knocked out, not sure what the issue is with Shorter, Moore’s ankle got caught under him, Fine had a concussion, etc...  Our O-Line is short but heavy enough outside of Brammer. Recruiting doesn’t result in injuries either. 

Yes it does otherwise we wouldn’t have gotten smoked. 

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Big Z said:

Yes it does otherwise we wouldn’t have gotten smoked. 

Brammer was injured as well as Plantin (who has been the biggest transfer bust since Morris)

We just seem really fragile, but I'm glad it's the Bye week. That should help them get a bit recovered for the final stretch

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2019 at 2:27 PM, Rudy said:

Recruiting doesn't have anything to do with strength and conditioning when it comes to all of these injuries. 

I guess I really don't know (or remember)...what's the list of players lost to injury on defense and/or the OLine?  Comparing the 2-deep from game 1 vs the HC game are pretty much the same.  In fact the secondary is identical.

One of these days, I’m going to know I’m about to see the end times when we hire a staff that can do the following:

1.) Focus on both sides of the ball instead of one—not since Hayden Fry have we had a FBS coach who could do that.

2.) Develop a S&C program that actually builds up linemen and then we coach said linemen to be so badass that some of them get drafted.

3.) See a head coach here get hired away because he was so GOOD here that someone else wanted him.

• Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

One of these days, I’m going to know I’m about to see the end times when we hire a staff that can do the following:

1.) Focus on both sides of the ball instead of one—not since Hayden Fry have we had a FBS coach who could do that.

Give a coach a budget, then hire the best coordinators you can find and afford on both sides of the ball.

There must be some kind of dynamic going on that I haven't considered, because I see that it is rare and don't understand why.

• 10 months later...

I was going back on some stuff, and I think now is a great time to bring this thread back.

The conditioning part of this program has been subpar to say the least (mainly the past 2 years), and something has to be done if we want to compete at a higher level.

SMU ran circles around us, and USM still looked faster most of the time. Now I know the circumstances of Covid and lack of summer training, but last year we had the same issues.

Getting injured is gonna happen and mainly now, but the conditioning is the weakness of our program right now. Just the little things.

Whoever is the coach for this needs to step it up!

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

On 11/9/2019 at 7:20 PM, American_Patriot said:

Announcer stated “ probably should rethink strength and conditioning” and I concur. There are a lot of lower extremity injuries occurring to the team. 

La Tech players were pretty large! They must have a solid nutrition and strength plan. 

probably something the coaches want to re-evaluate. 

Hey dumbass, that's what spring ball and fall camp are for. All programs are dealing with soft tissue injuries that would normally be "trained" out by season open. Get with the times and read some news gramps.

Well i guess I should have looked at the date of the thread. I'm the dumbass, but I will say I find it a really strange habit of members of this forum to bring up old posts from years and years ago.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4