IF SETH WAS TO MOVE ON

El Paso Eagle

14 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

That is very true. Their arena is old and outdated, their football stadium is meh, baseball was okay, softball same. Really nothing about their athletic facilities are appealing to recruits, but for some reason they are always at the top

And the talent around them in Louisiana is incredible...

Jimmy's and Joe's will always beat facilities if coaching is equal--in this case, Holtz is way better than SL. And that isn't mean to be a slam at SL--Holtz is just a fine G5 coach and has a heckuva blood line to help with that.

• Upvote 1

I never played organized sports past Jr. High, and, unlike most posters on this site, no nothing about coaching. However, I owned a successful medical device agency for 30 years and learned that you are only as good as the people around. I think our recruiting has been over rated as well as our team. With the exception of Charlotte, our losses were to teams that were much bigger, stronger, and perhaps faster than we were. My point is that our D.C. can only do so much with the players he has and while he is involved in the recruiting process its not his overall responsibility. I don't have the exact numbers at my finger tip, but I think our "points against" dropped by 11 from 2017 last year . While its up by about the same number this year we certainly don't have the caliber of players we had in 2018.Just an old man's opinion.

Edited by wardly
spelling

5 minutes ago, wardly said:

I never played organized sports past Jr. High, and, unlike most posters on this site, no nothing about coaching. However, I owned a successful medical device agency for 30 years and learned that you are only as good as the people around. I think our recruiting has been over rated as well as our team. With the exception of Charlotte, our losses were to teams that were much bigger, stronger, and perhaps faster than we were. My point is that our D.C. can only do so much with the players he has and while he is involved in the recruiting process its not his overall responsibility. I don't have the exact numbers at my finger tip, but I think our "points against" dropped by 11 from 2017 last year . While its up by about the same number this year we certainly don't have the caliber of players we had in 2018.Just an old man's opinion.

What absolutely amazes me around here is how much people act like recruiting here should be easy. If you are a TX HS coach in your late 40s or older, you saw UNT basically give up on big time football in the 80s and early 90s. If you are in your 30s and early 40s, you saw us roll out a team that had facilities and support worse than many 5A high schools and playing teams nobody cared about. And if you are in your 20s, you’ve seen UNT suffer the worst loss in modern college football history and then bounce back to being a team that is finally looking like there MIGHT be some hint of winning, but we go right back to where we were 3 years ago.

For the last two classes, we have finally shown some decent talent here, mostly at skill positions, not much at all on the lines. Those linemen are the hardest to recruit and they often go to schools high on the FBS totem pole. But if stability is the key for getting in more talent, then SL staying here should help on that front. But to think it’s ever going to be easy here is simply not recognizing facts about who we have been for the last 40 years. It’s only been 5 years since we even started to not half-ass it on running a football program.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

who job is it to recruit defensive players?

I would think that it is the entire coaching staff's collective responsibility to recruit players in their assigned geographic area regardless of their position. As untjim1995 pointed out, we have not had a level playing field regarding facilities, major financial donations from alumni and friends, and an administration that is willing to step up to the plate and support athletics. I think all the pieces are in place, but it takes time to crawl out of a well.Regarding our D.C., he was hired by Seth with the approval of our A.D., so I view his success or failure as  not individual, but hey, that's just me.

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

who job is it to recruit defensive players?

My understanding is this :

1) coaches are assigned regions, not positions, to recruit

2) said coaches find players of interest in their region. Seek counsel from the position coach and/or coordinator

3) SL and/or Coordinator will approve/disprove any schollie offer

4) original coach gets credit for “recruiting” the player.

thats what I’ve gathered from posters over the years. I have no inside knowledge and could be completely wrong lol

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

My understanding is this :

1) coaches are assigned regions, not positions, to recruit

2) said coaches find players of interest in their region. Seek counsel from the position coach and/or coordinator

3) SL and/or Coordinator will approve/disprove any schollie offer

4) original coach gets credit for “recruiting” the player.

thats what I’ve gathered from posters over the years. I have no inside knowledge and could be completely wrong lol

That's right.   

Point #4 is because that coach was the one to visit the player on his HS campus and build the relationship.   If Coach Mainord (a WR coach) identifies a DE in his area, he's still going to be the guy the DE meets and receives the scholarship offer from.  He'll also be there (maybe with Yell, maybe with Reff, maybe with Littrell, or even all of the above) during the home visit.

On 11/9/2019 at 6:33 PM, TheColonyEagle said:

He's changed the culture

But he's not a good football coach

After nearly 4 years I think it's safe to get to that conclusion

But he's not moving on.....we can't afford it

Littrell didn’t change the culture. Wren Baker, Dr. Smatresk, and the BOR changed the culture. Littrell just happen to be in the right place at the right time. PERIOD! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

I would recommend that all of you find a copy of Vito's pre-season football magazine that was in the Denton Record Chronicle.  Talks about recruiting and what an asset Walerius and Shelby have been, talks about changing the culture (yes, SL did change the culture of the program), what the program has had to overcome, SL's personal admittance that he is still growing as a head coach, Fine's comments about how most freshmen are scared of SL because of his quiet and intense demeanor, etc...

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

23 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I would recommend that all of you find a copy of Vito's pre-season football magazine that was in the Denton Record Chronicle.  Talks about recruiting and what an asset Walerius and Shelby have been, talks about changing the culture (yes, SL did change the culture of the program), what the program has had to overcome, SL's personal admittance that he is still growing as a head coach, Fine's comments about how most freshmen are scared of SL because of his quiet and intense demeanor, etc...

So what?

He doesn't get the "I'm still growing as a head coach" excuse from me after dangling a fake P5 offer and agreeing to "keep learning" only if he gets more money. I'm gonna guess he wasn't "golly gee....I'm just a growing coach trying to learn" when he was at the negotiating table.

He's going to go at best 6-6 in the greatest QB we've ever had's senior year. 

He failed to earn his big pay check this year. We should treat him like he treated us. Show us the money.....Win the conference or leave.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

So what?

He doesn't get the "I'm still growing as a head coach" excuse from me after dangling a fake P5 offer and agreeing to "keep learning" only if he gets more money.

He's going to go at best 6-6 in the greatest QB we've ever had's senior year. 

He failed to earn his big pay check this year. We should treat him like he treated us. Show us the money.....Win the conference or leave.

A fake P5 offer?  You sure about that or is that just your hot sports opinion.  Did he force WB to offer a raise and extension or did WB see value in SL had just make that offer?  "We should treat him like he treated us?"  What in the world does that mean.  He didn't treat us poorly, he investigated an opportunity.  He never said a bad word about us, people on here act like he abandoned the team during bowl prep, yet not one player has said anything negative about our coaching staff.  All of these comments are pure speculation.

The senior class this year was is from a low ranked recruiting class the year he arrived when he had roughly a month to throw a class together.  I have gone through the other obstacles he had to work through when he arrived, and last year's and this current year's recruiting classes reflect that.  Going from a class ranking in the range of 110 in the nation to the high 50's this year is pretty remarkable.  I believe he deserves the opportunity to see this class through their senior season unless their is a catastrophic drop off in performance.  Different opinions.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

50 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

A fake P5 offer?  You sure about that or is that just your hot sports opinion.  Did he force WB to offer a raise and extension or did WB see value in SL had just make that offer?  "We should treat him like he treated us?"  What in the world does that mean.  He didn't treat us poorly, he investigated an opportunity.  He never said a bad word about us, people on here act like he abandoned the team during bowl prep, yet not one player has said anything negative about our coaching staff.  All of these comments are pure speculation.

The senior class this year was is from a low ranked recruiting class the year he arrived when he had roughly a month to throw a class together.  I have gone through the other obstacles he had to work through when he arrived, and last year's and this current year's recruiting classes reflect that.  Going from a class ranking in the range of 110 in the nation to the high 50's this year is pretty remarkable.  I believe he deserves the opportunity to see this class through their senior season unless their is a catastrophic drop off in performance.  Different opions.

I obviously wasn't there but I don't think the KState "offer" was real....the reason I don't is because of the reason given. Littrell couldn't bring his coordinators. I don't really buy it. (And who knows....I could be wrong but I think Littrell wanted to stay here all along....and Jimmy Sexton showed him how to get more money) Got the offer, didn't...doesn't matter. But it was used to get more money. The rest is obviously just speculation on my part...but again, he got more money out of it.

When I say "treated us" I mean treated UNT. It gets to loyalty...which I'm sure he preaches. I don't think it's any coincidence that the team has gone south since he flirted with KState. I never said he said anything bad about UNT.....but he proved he's not loyal to UNT and that's fine. Like I've said 50 times....I don't even care if he DID do all that. I don't care if he used KState for more money, used leverage, played the game....That's fine.

If Seth Littrel had won the conference this year...I wouldn't care about any of it or be upset about it.

But he didn't. I'll say this again for the 50th time.

I DON'T DISLIKE SETH LITTRELL! 

I DON'T THINK HE SHOULD BE FIRED THIS YEAR!

I HOPE HE TURNS IT AROUND!

I WANT HIM TO TURN IT AROUND!

There's no evidence to suggest he can because he hasn't. To say otherwise is going on blind faith.

If Seth LIttrell wins championships, I like him. If he doesn't I don't. As Cerebus put it....he's a hired contractor. Except when we bid the job, we paid him more so we expect more. A 6-6 dry wall contractor is someone that has to come back and rework things, isn't always on time and gives average work. When we bid the job, we paid more for superior craftsmanship. We're not getting what we paid for...regardless of how bad our other dry wall guys were.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I obviously wasn't there but I don't think the KState "offer" was real....the reason I don't is because of the reason given. Littrell couldn't bring his coordinators. I don't really buy it. (And who knows....I could be wrong but I think Littrell wanted to stay here all along....and Jimmy Sexton showed him how to get more money) Got the offer, didn't...doesn't matter. But it was used to get more money. The rest is obviously just speculation on my part...but again, he got more money out of it.

When I say "treated us" I mean treated UNT. It gets to loyalty...which I'm sure he preaches. I don't think it's any coincidence that the team has gone south since he flirted with KState. I never said he said anything bad about UNT.....but he proved he's not loyal to UNT and that's fine. Like I've said 50 times....I don't even care if he DID do all that. I don't care if he used KState for more money, used leverage, played the game....That's fine.

If Seth Littrel had won the conference this year...I wouldn't care about any of it or be upset about it.

But he didn't. I'll say this again for the 50th time.

I DON'T DISLIKE SETH LITTRELL! 

I DON'T THINK HE SHOULD BE FIRED THIS YEAR!

I HOPE HE TURNS IT AROUND!

I WANT HIM TO TURN IT AROUND!

There's no evidence to suggest he can because he hasn't. To say otherwise is going on blind faith.

If Seth LIttrell wins championships, I like him. If he doesn't I don't. As Cerebus put it....he's a hired contractor. Except when we bid the job, we paid him more so we expect more. A 6-6 dry wall contractor is someone that has to come back and rework things, isn't always on time and gives average work. When we bid the job, we paid more for superior craftsmanship. We're not getting what we paid for...regardless of how bad our other dry wall guys were.

Hired contractor? So he would get a C+ on Angie’s List? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

YUP

But wants A+ money

More like a Satellite TV company.

We got him on a contract with a “promotional” price.  Of course, we don’t mind paying that price because we like the channels.  And hey, they happened to randomly upgrade our existing package with 3-4 extra channels we love.

Then, after year three, the “promotional” discounts roll off & they take Fox Sports Regional networks away(this may sound familiar to some of you).   Of course we’re pissed about that, but you still have all those other channels you like.

Mess around and drop Rice &/or UAB, & it’s like the satellite company also took HGTV away as well & now your wife is fuming mad too because she can’t watch Chip & Jo.  

Expect some cord cutters.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1