IF SETH WAS TO MOVE ON

El Paso Eagle

8 minutes ago, Felozano said:

I hope you’re wrong. Reffet was easy to keep around because we kept winning. The winning has slowed and there will need to be a scape goat. I doubt Reeder is axed...the O-line has been especially rough, though.  I hope Fine is able to recover from his concussion and win these final two games to make us bowl eligible. It’d be great to end this season on a high note, but still revamp what needs to be revamped.  The recruits are coming, but the coaching needs to happen to maximize the future.  GMG!

I have seen nothing in Seth's tenure that makes me believe his staff and him will maximize the future.  Fine's career was squandered for the most part.  

Seth and company are overrated because of the disasters that preceded them.  A better staff could work wonders here.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

24 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I have seen nothing in Seth's tenure that makes me believe his staff and him will maximize the future.  Fine's career was squandered for the most part.  

Seth and company are overrated because of the disasters that preceded them.  A better staff could work wonders here.

SL caught lightening in a bottle with Fine. I doubt he expected to find the greatest QB in UNT history in his first class. Fine carried this team the last few years.  The normal projection from 1-11 to where we want to go will begin.  To his/Fine’s credit, the expectations have changed. SL realizes it.  This season has been tough, but the better days are ahead. SL’s initial hires were legit!  He needs to find those gems again. Recruit, coach, win. GMG!

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Did you walk their campus and class room facilities and student center?

Rick

Drove it, No, and No.

I'm sure Im being a bit dense, but I'm not sure what the point is you're trying to make. 

Their Athletics facilities are not as good at North Texas'.

Edited by Pavlovs Eagle
  • Upvote 2

Well, I am going to put on my rose colored glasses and chalk this season up to losing four coaches in Graham, Filani, Brown, and Koonz. Losing four magnificent players on defense in Ejiya, Garner, Brooks, and Hall. Losing a great receiver in Guyton. His flirtation with K-State and several injuries across the board. However, when the season is over, I am throwing those glasses away. He better get his ass in gear and coaching or he needs to be replaced.I am sure there are several great coaches out there that are willing to take a 1.8 mil salary who can actually win when it counts.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Drove it, No, and No.

I'm sure Im being a bit dense, but I'm not sure what the point is you're trying to make. 

Their Athletics facilities are not as good at North Texas'.

Ok.  Because the point I’ll make is if you didn’t get out and walk their campus, see their academic facilities and everything in between then you didn’t get the chance to fully understand the extent to which your comment “their facilities suck” rings true.

Their “facilities” are worst than suck,....they’re sad.  The campus buildings reminds me of Tarrant County College’s south campus back in the 80’s.

Yet despite this they seem to make phenomenal hires who outperform those with better surroundings.  

It’s truly amazing what they have accomplished imo in spite of the funding they have to work with.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, p_phelps said:

This is one of the biggest disappointments I've seen in sports.  From hopefully getting 10 wins to probably not even making a bowl. Seth may win fewer games this year than year 1

Yup. And I swear, if changes aren't made after this season, I will not watch or attend a single game next season because it will be the same old, same old. I get my hopes up every season, just for them to continually shit the bed, especially in big games. This staff has everything they need and then some to be successful, but we have gotten curb stomped by every worthy conference opponent this season. That is unacceptable, especially in Year 4 of a coach and his staff

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

Just now, FirefightnRick said:

Ok.  Because the point I’ll make is if you didn’t get out and walk their campus, see their academic facilities and everything in between then you didn’t get the chance to fully understand the extent to which your comment “their facilities suck”.

Their “facilities” are worst than suck,....they’re sad.  The campus buildings reminds me of Tarrant County College’s south campus back in the 80’s.

Yet despite this they seem to make phenomenal hires who outperform those with better surroundings.  

It’s truly amazing what they have accomplished imo in spite of the funding they have to work with.

Rick

All true. Their campus looks like Camp Lejeune barracks that were built during WWII. Their attendance typically is horrible. 

Yet, people try to justify their fans that Ruston people care sooooo much about LaTech. It's just not true. 

They are a hole in the wall school with terrible facilities with a cool logo and color design. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Yup. And I swear, if changes aren't made after this season, I will not watch or attend a single game next season because it will be the same old, same old. I get my hopes up every season, just for them to continually shit the bed, especially in big games. This staff has everything they need and then some to be successful, but we have gotten curb stomped by every worthy conference opponent this season. That is unacceptable, especially in Year 4 of a coach and his staff

This season? 

If we're going to quantify worthy, I'd love to...

Seth Littrell record vs what I perceive as good opponents and/or big games... 

2016 -                                            2017 -                              2018 -                                         2019 - 

Florida - L - 32-0                 Iowa - L - 31-14                   Arkansas - W - 44-17               Cal - L - 23-17

MTSU - L - 30-13                SoMiss - W - 43-28             LaTech - L - 29-27                    UH - L - 46-25

Army - W - 35-18                 FAU - L - 69-31                    UAB - L - 29-21                         SoMiss - L - 45-27

La Tech - L - 45-24              Army - W - 52-49                Utah St - L - 52-13                    LaTech - L - 52-17

WKU - L - 45-7                      FAU - L - 41-17                   SMU - W - 46-23                        SMU - L - 49-27

UTEP - L - 52-24                  Troy - L - 50-30

SMU - L - 34-21                   SMU - L - 54-32

Everyone else on the schedule over the 4 years SL has been here have either been downright horrible or FCS. And masked in this group are some ugly hidden losses. But in the "big" games or vs the quality opponents, SL has went 5-19. 

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This season? 

If we're going to quantify worthy, I'd love to...

Seth Littrell record vs what I perceive as good opponents and/or big games... 

2016 -                                            2017 -                              2018 -                                         2019 - 

Florida - L - 32-0                 Iowa - L - 31-14                   Arkansas - W - 44-17               Cal - L - 23-17

MTSU - L - 30-13                SoMiss - W - 43-28             LaTech - L - 29-27                    UH - L - 46-25

Army - W - 35-18                 FAU - L - 69-31                    UAB - L - 29-21                         SoMiss - L - 45-27

La Tech - L - 45-24              Army - W - 52-49                Utah St - L - 52-13                    LaTech - L - 52-17

WKU - L - 45-7                      FAU - L - 41-17                   SMU - W - 46-23                        SMU - L - 49-27

UTEP - L - 52-24                  Troy - L - 50-30

SMU - L - 34-21                   SMU - L - 54-32

Everyone else on the schedule over the 4 years SL has been here have either been downright horrible or FCS. And masked in this group are some ugly hidden losses. But in the "big" games or vs the quality opponents, SL has went 5-19. 

Excellent point, sir. How can you be the highest paid coach in a conference with no conference championships, no Bowl wins; hell, no real notable upsets? (Other than down SMU and Arkansas teams) I'm not wanting to pull the plug on Littrell yet, but goddamn, those burners have to be turned up next year

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

He's gotta be on the hot seat right, not saying they will make a move this year but another bad season next year something's gotta happen.

There will be, without a single doubt in my mind, another bad season next year. I will put us down at 4-8/3-9 next year and we can consider it a success to get to 6-6...In year 5. 

MF has won games that without him we may not have won. We will be worse next year on offense, to what is already a wildly inconsistent offense. Defense should see an uptick by route of default...Can't get much worse. 

Interesting discussion here.  I get why most SL defenders state that he changed the culture.  There’s no doubt that, when SL took over our program, it was in a downward spiral.   I give him credit for his first few years and how he changed the team’s records from losing to winning seasons.  He did change the team by setting us up for winning seasons (thus breaking the losing culture we were experiencing prior to his arrival).  In turn, the program experienced increased fan excitement and support (indoor practice facility, etc).  I’ll give him credit there.  

To be fair, you have to look at the last season and a half.   We have begun returning to the losing culture that SL had helped change.  Now, I have a serious question for all SL supporters.  What would you say is the primary reason for our players being outplayed (outperformed) on the field?  My response...our offensive and defensive lines have been outplayed consistently.  Our opponents dominate the line of scrimmage.  

I know there is a lot of discussion about game strategy and decisions by the coaching staff.  Let’s just set aside coaching decisions made DURING games.  What has this staff done to address our most glaring weakness ON the field?  It has been exposed and is no secret.  If you’re going to defend the current staff, shouldn’t it be concerning that they have NOT addressed this weakness through recruiting and the transfer portal.  Good coaches (and programs) do that.  

So, when I and others call for a change, it’s based on looking ahead to a situation which appears to not have a lot of reasons to be optimistic in the near future (next 3-5 years).  No improvement in offensive and defensive lines equals status quo or worse.   I don’t care how many 3 star skill players you recruit and celebrate on signing day.  We need to dominate the line of scrimmage in the future to truly change the culture and take our program to the level that we all want!

Edited by Mean Green Fan4Life
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 1

5 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Ok.  Because the point I’ll make is if you didn’t get out and walk their campus, see their academic facilities and everything in between then you didn’t get the chance to fully understand the extent to which your comment “their facilities suck” rings true.

Rick

Nobody does more with less than La Tech, across all sports really.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Does this chart below look like the record of an NCAA FBS HFC who is on the hot seat? I’d say it’s not.

Some have said for UNT to be competitive annually in CUSA  Littrell needs 4 consecutive recruiting classes similar to the last 2 & what appears to be a fairly strong 3’rd  consecutive recruiting class this December.
If Littrell gets that 4’th strong class & focuses on offensive & defensive linemen he will be in Denton for as long as he wants. 
• Tweaking his coaching staff may  be a necessity & many on GMG would certainly agree with that.

❇️ FWIW, we’ve rarely done a good job of replacing past HFC’s with better ones in Denton plus to win SBC championships  & to get that 1’st CUSA football championship we’ve almost needed for said conferences to have weak teams top to bottom.  
Of course, this Fall we’ve been one of those weak teams.🙄

Year School G W L T Pct SRS SOS AP Pre AP High AP Post Bowl Notes

2016 North Texas 13 5 8 0 .385 -10.33 -4.56       Heart of Dallas Bowl-L  
2017 North Texas 14 9 5 0 .643           New Orleans Bowl-L  
2018 North Texas 13 9 4 0 .692 0.58 -8.42       New Mexico Bowl-L  
2019 North Texas 10 4 6 0 .400 -7.02 -4.62          

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

10 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

All true. Their campus looks like Camp Lejeune barracks that were built during WWII. Their attendance typically is horrible. 

Yet, people try to justify their fans that Ruston people care sooooo much about LaTech. It's just not true. 

They are a hole in the wall school with terrible facilities with a cool logo and color design. 

I made use of some of their “facilities” when I was at the game yesterday.  I see where the town earned the name Rust-on.

7 hours ago, Mean Green Fan4Life said:

Interesting discussion here.  I get why most SL defenders state that he changed the culture.  There’s no doubt that when SL took over our program, it was in a downward spiral.   I give him credit for his first few years and how he changed the team’s records from losing to winning seasons.  He did change the team by setting us up for winning seasons (thus breaking the losing culture we were experiencing prior to his arrival).  In turn, the program experienced increased fan excitement and support (indoor practice facility, etc).  I’ll give him credit there.  

To be fair, you have to look at the last season and a half.   We have begun returning to the losing culture that SL had helped change.  Now, I have a serious question for all SL supporters.  What would you say is the primary reason for our players being outplayed (outperformed) on the field?  My response...our offensive and defensive lines have been outplayed consistently.  Our opponents dominate the line of scrimmage.  

I know there is a lot of discussion about game strategy and decisions by the coaching staff.  Let’s just set aside coaching decisions made DURING games.  What has this staff done to address our most glaring weakness ON the field?  It has been exposed and is no secret.  If you’re going to defend the current staff, shouldn’t it be concerning that they have NOT addressed this weakness through recruiting and the transfer portal.  Good coaches (and programs) do that.  

So, when I and others call for a change, it’s based on looking ahead to a situation which appears to not have a lot of reasons to be optimistic in the near future (next 3-5 years).  No improvement in offensive and defensive lines equals status quo or worse.   I don’t care how many 3 star skill players you recruit and celebrate on signing day.  We need to dominate the line of scrimmage in the future to truly change the culture and take our program to the level that we all want!

This.

Seth and company have done all they are capable off. They turned it around, great.

It's been nice but we, us, UNT are the ones invested in this. Coaches are nothing more than employee's, it is time to find someone to move us forward.

Oh

And, recruit more linemen.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, Wookies said:

Nobody does more with less than La Tech, across all sports really.

That is very true. Their arena is old and outdated, their football stadium is meh, baseball was okay, softball same. Really nothing about their athletic facilities are appealing to recruits, but for some reason they are always at the top

14 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Does this chart below look like the record of an NCAA FBS HFC who is on the hot seat? I’d say it’s not.

Some have said for UNT to be competitive annually in CUSA  Littrell needs 4 consecutive recruiting classes similar to the last 2 & what appears to be a fairly strong 3’rd  consecutive recruiting class this December.
If Littrell gets that 4’th strong class & focuses on offensive & defensive linemen he will be in Denton for as long as he wants. 
• Tweaking his coaching staff may  be a necessity & many on GMG would certainly agree with that.

❇️ FWIW, we’ve rarely done a good job of replacing past HFC’s with better ones in Denton plus to win SBC championships  & to get that 1’st CUSA football championship we’ve almost needed for said conferences to have weak teams top to bottom.  
Of course, this Fall we’ve been one of those weak teams.🙄

Year School G W L T Pct SRS SOS AP Pre AP High AP Post Bowl Notes

2016 North Texas 13 5 8 0 .385 -10.33 -4.56       Heart of Dallas Bowl-L  
2017 North Texas 14 9 5 0 .643           New Orleans Bowl-L  
2018 North Texas 13 9 4 0 .692 0.58 -8.42       New Mexico Bowl-L  
2019 North Texas 10 4 6 0 .400 -7.02 -4.62          

I've said before....people look at UNT Football through one of 2 lenses:

#1 Everything is viewed through the lens of our history

#2 Everything is viewed through the lens of our location, facilities and investment

If you look through lens #1 then no...27-23 does not put you on the hot seat because we've always sucked

If you look through lens #2 then his seat should be hot RIGHT NOW.

To wait on that 4th "good" recruiting class...that puts this "rebuild" at 6+ years. I don't mind a long rebuild....but I mind it when the coach and his agent do what they did and strut in with their fake P5 offer and swindle UNT out of millions. When he did that...screw you....put your money where your mouth is tough guy. He's getting destroyed by superior coaches with half of what he has here. Seth Littrell is not getting paid what he's getting paid to take 6 years to MAYBE get us a return on this level of investment. He's getting paid to win conference championships and be one of the top G5s in the country. He's had 4 years. If he takes 2+ more we need our money back. 

Remember...the only reason outsiders view Seth Littrell as some miracle worker is because our program was dead and buried...all he did was come in and not bring high school assistant coaches or be completely lazy in recruiting. He's also played the weakest schedule that UNT has maybe ever faced. So yes, he's better than Todd Dodge and Dan McCarney.....that doesn't mean anything. Hell....DAN MCCARNEY won NINE games here almost by accident. One of the biggest lies I've ever heard come out of a coache's mouth is: "It's hard to recruit here" Absolute BS. McCarney it was hard for YOU to recruit here...

LIttrell had better get that P5 transfer phone line hopping this offseason....especially with defensive and offensive linemen or he will leave here with an overall losing record in a few years