IF SETH WAS TO MOVE ON

El Paso Eagle

9 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Tired of the argument but will say, be careful what you all wish for.

I was wishing for a complete change of culture inside the football team. Today looked a lot like a Portland State culture.

.....and the Portland State culture cost the University a hell of a lot less than 1.7  mil.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Again never said I wanted Seth gone. But he showed last year he is willing to listen to offers. 

Name me one coach who would not listen to other offers.  

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

It’s just hard for me to see Skip Holtz leaving La Tech for another CUSA gig, especially when his recruiting pipeline is about 10x easier than it would be here.

OK, I give why is his recruiting pipeline so much better at La Tech?

Is it because Ruston is just superior to Denton and the metroplex or:

Ruston is just a better recruiting area than DFW.

La Tech's facilities are just superior to NT's.

He has that massive homecoming crowd for his conference leading team in perfect weather,.I doubt they got to a 5 digit number.

La Tech is just a superior institution to NT.

Holtz likes to work with one of the smallest athletic budgets in D1.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, wardly said:

By my count Seth is 27 & 24 with 2 regular season games to play this year.I don't see him going anywhere, but won't criticize him for trying to get a P 5  head coaching job. However, this season has been a disaster for our program and probably destroyed his rising star image .

This. Do I appreciate what Seth has done? Hell yes. Do I want him to leave? Hell no!

Would I look at better opportunities?  Yes

But, do I expect the AD to have a short list of candidates ready?  Yes.

And yes, I want Seth to change the DC

• Upvote 6

25 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Name me one coach who would not listen to other offers.  

OK, I give why is his recruiting pipeline so much better at La Tech?

Is it because Ruston is just superior to Denton and the metroplex or:

Ruston is just a better recruiting area than DFW.

La Tech's facilities are just superior to NT's.

He has that massive homecoming crowd for his conference leading team in perfect weather,.I doubt they got to a 5 digit number.

La Tech is just a superior institution to NT.

Holtz likes to work with one of the smallest athletic budgets in D1.

I don’t know, but they beat our ass almost every year on the field and in recruiting...you tell me.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Just now, untjim1995 said:

I don’t know, but they beat our ass almost every year on the field and in recruiting...you tell me.

Yeah, this isn't a new thing. La Tech has had a better program than us historically for pretty much forever. 

Speaking of forever... Seth has the highest win percentage of any UNT coach since I was a toddler. That doesn't mean he's done a good job, though. In 40 years, our highest WP for a head coach is .500. 

When people think we're moving up in the world because of a couple of decent seasons beating up on the bottom of the FBS ranks, this is what I think about. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

I don’t know the numbers and don’t feel like looking them up but 2 items come to mind:

1. More bowls and bowl wins (consistency year in and year out)

2. More players in the NFL 

feel free to fact check that but they always have talent...I admire the kids who go there to win in a crappy stadium in front of small crowds because they want to win.  We swipe the credit card with all the infrastructure but never pay the debt with wins.  I’m an SL supporter though and I think we need to build this brick by brick.  Ref should be gone but I believe we need to keep our nose to the grindstone on this and we will see the results add up.  Frustrating while we wait no doubt. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, FirefightnRick said:

Then LSU vs UA must have been on at the exact same time the last two games we’ve played in Ruston as well because I was there and it looked the same as today.

Rick

I was there today and didn't find it sparsely attended by LA Tech fans  What was the "official" attendance?

Their facilities suck... Their tailgating was good and well attended.  We stumbled into the most green tailgating tent I saw and were given free beer by the green and red/blue folks there.  Can't complain.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This. Do I appreciate what Seth has done? Hell yes. Do I want him to leave? Hell no!

Would I look at better opportunities?  Yes

But, do I expect the AD to have a short list of candidates ready?  Yes.

And yes, I want Seth to change the DC

We are in violent agreement.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I didn’t think it’s unreasonable to ask a guy that hasn’t proven anything and yet dangled a supposed job offer to become the highest paid coach in the conference to.....you know.....quit getting curb stomped by teams that aren’t FCS or UTEP

^ This.

I'm also tired of hearing the same lame statement about "needing to get better", after every embarrassing loss. Everyone knows we need to get better. That's what years one, two, and three of the Littrell era were supposed to be for. This should not be an issue in Littrell's 4th year as our coach. We need a new DC, and much better talent on our offensive and defensive lines. It is that simple.

When we lose, the athletic department no longer posts video of Littrell's post game comments.  Wren Baker needs to send a message to the fan base that they are working to fix this team's problems. Judging by what we did tonight, and against the better teams in C-USA, we may not see another win this season.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

34 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

I was there today and didn't find it sparsely attended by LA Tech fans  What was the "official" attendance?

Their facilities suck... Their tailgating was good and well attended.  We stumbled into the most green tailgating tent I saw and were given free beer by the green and red/blue folks there.  Can't complain.

Did you walk their campus and class room facilities and student center?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Some serious homers in this thread. La Tech has been way better than us for the last 25 years. Sure, we have had a year or two better, but they have wins over some great names over the years and they get the leftovers of non-P5 talent in Louisiana. Hint, they play defense in that state AT ALL LEVELS. Watch a TX HS football—it’s glorified 7-on-7. Our coaching staff already makes defense second to offense, so imagine what it looks like when a kid happens to look at us and La Tech. Hint 2, it’s not even close. Want to go to a school that puts kids into the NFL as draft picks? Want to go to a program where winning is expected and there has been pride in that expectation for decades? Want a coach with lots of skins on the wall from being a quality head coach that is equally into coaching both sides of the ball? You tell me where that kid is gonna go. And as far as crowds go, these last two years have been solid for attendance here, no doubt. But let’s see what it looks like next year after a disappointing year. That’s never been a good response in Denton.

I had La Tech as my CUSA winner this year because they are bigger and faster than we are on the lines. Just like they were last year. We can’t get better than them unless that changes. And from I see, good luck with all that. SL has to learn for this and I think it’s gonna take a long time for this to fix this because it’s not a quick or easy fix, nor is it easy to recruit for. Y’all better be ready for the real probability that a rebuild is going to have to start next season and that it’s not going to be pretty. We are staring straight into a 1-3 OOC almost certainly, while also seeing La Tech, USM, and UAB being stronger than we are still on the lines. Our only saving grace is having the Texas CUSA teams being atrociously bad, so getting to 6 wins will be a solid accomplishment next year with a new QB. 

Edited by untjim1995
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

I hope you're joking.

He's not, I'm afraid. Pretty easy to see. 

We have a young HC and a young AD. They both have the best job they've ever had with the highest salaries they've ever had. And they both want to schmooze and elbow rub people they think are important. It's all just meh at this point and the correction of this mess is nowhere in sight. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

We have a young HC and a young AD. They both have the best job they've ever had with the highest salaries they've ever had. And they both want to schmooze and elbow rub people they think are important. It's all just meh at this point and the correction of this mess is nowhere in sight. 

If this is true, than we are certainly "Old Denton" again, and Smatresk needs to step in and make the big boy decisions.

14 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I hope you’re wrong. Reffet was easy to keep around because we kept winning. The winning has slowed and there will need to be a scape goat. I doubt Reeder is axed...the O-line has been especially rough, though.  I hope Fine is able to recover from his concussion and win these final two games to make us bowl eligible. It’d be great to end this season on a high note, but still revamp what needs to be revamped.  The recruits are coming, but the coaching needs to happen to maximize the future.  GMG!

• Skeptical Eagle 1