Bowl Game?

MeanGreenBuzz

I’m not ruling out today. I get the numbers, the records, the odds, what’s happening on both sides of the ball. But I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that we can beat them. I think we have the ability, and the talent. It’s up to the coaching to identify the weaknesses, and put us in positions to take advantage of those weaknesses.    

The first 4th & 1 that we go up gut the against a stacked line, and don’t make it, I’m turning the game off.  It’s just a bad sign. 

• Upvote 1

Not only does this team not deserve a bowl but I hope we don't go to one. Going to NM, New Orleans, or wherever and embarrassing the university does nothing for the school, athletic department, recruiting, ect.

The last couple bowls,  and I include the conference championship, have only embarrassed our school. This current group can only beat really bad teams and no one when it counts.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

I equate this to basketball last season when people tried to clamor for us to get into whatever second rate tournament would invite us. Thank you Mason and seniors for everything you have done for this program, sorry circumstances couldn't have worked out better. This team does not deserve to go bowling. We have gotten curb stomped by every worthy opponent this season and would likely get run down for 50 or 60 points; no matter who our bowl opponent is, and would just serve to embarrass us on the national stage. Put a period on this season and start re-tooling for next season.   

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I equate this to basketball last season when people tried to clamor for us to get into whatever second rate tournament would invite us. Thank you Mason and seniors for everything you have done for this program, sorry circumstances couldn't have worked out better. This team does not deserve to go bowling. We have gotten curb stomped by every worthy opponent this season and would likely get run down for 50 or 60 points; no matter who our bowl opponent is, and would just serve to embarrass us on the national stage. Put a period on this season and start re-tooling for next season.   

But what about that extra practice ? Insert sarcasm 

This is a mixed bag right here for me. I want Mason Fine to go out on top but know we'll get curb stomped again on National TV if NT goes to a bowl. The defense is pretty easy to figure out and without MF at quarterback the offense can't move the ball....and yep Aune did good with two nice passing TD's but how many second stringers was LaTech playing? 

The pre-season excitement that the Athletic Department whipped up prior to the season beginning and what has actually occurred may put a damper on Mean Green faithful turning out in large numbers for a bowl game....

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

5 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

I want Mason Fine to go out on top but know we'll get curb stomped again on National TV if NT goes to a bowl. 

We're being generous if we think anyone would watch us play in the Act III Popcorn Bowl live in Declining 3rd Rate City, USA aired on ESPN 8 The Ocho on a Thursday afternoon at 3pm in early Dec.

But overall I agree... Time to stop wasting money on the 2019 season.

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

On 11/9/2019 at 11:13 AM, MeanGreenBuzz said:

We’ve dropped off the predictions lists for a bowl game. Rice should be a gimme. Can we pull off the upset at LaTech or UAB to slip into a bowl?

Rice will be far from a gimme.  I think NT is more likely to beat UAB at home than Rice on the road.

Hope for the best, but no team is a gimme with the way NT has played this year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

17 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Rice will be far from a gimme.  I think NT is more likely to beat UAB at home than Rice on the road.

Hope for the best, but no team is a gimme with the way NT has played this year. 

Ya I don’t understand why we have fans who think some games are gimme? Boggles my mind.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

28 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Ya I don’t understand why we have fans who think some games are gimme? Boggles my mind.

ACU was the only gimmie on this seasons schedule.

We do not deserve to go bowling. Sorry to Mason and the other seniors, but they’ve had chances to win bowls and have fallen short. That’s life. The university needs to save the money and look forward to next year.

• Eye Roll 1

I see a possibe issue for UNT should it get to 6 wins.  Look at the number of bowl eligible CUSA teams already...and those that have 5 wins in the books.

FAU - 7-3

La Tech 8-1

Marshall 6-3 

So Miss 6-3

UAB 6-3 

W. KY 6-4

Several of the above have some "should win" games left on their schedules, and Charlotte and FIU sit with 5 wins each.  So, with the number of bowls allocated to CUSA, does six wins get UNT into a bowl? I count six bowl tie-ins for CUSA this year (First Responders, Gaspirilla, New Orleans, New Mexico, Frisco and Bahamas) with six CUSA teams already at 6 wins or more.  If the current six win teams each win one more to get to seven wins...well, that would spell trouble for a six-win UNT.

So, who do the six win teams have left to play you ask?

Marshall has La Tech, Charlotte and FIU yet to play;

So Miss has UTSA, W. Ky and FAU to play;

UAB Has UTEP, La Tech and UNT to play, and

W. Kentucky has So. Miss and Middle Tenn to go.

So, it is somewhat logical to assume all of the current six-win bowl eligible teams will win at least one of their remaining games. Thus, CUISA ends up with six 7-win plus teams and six bowl tie-ins.  Leaving on the sidelines any 6-win team.

Not trying to be a "Debbie Downer" here, but the odds are not looking to be in UNT's favor at the moment.  So, question...are there any other bowls that might take a six-win CUSA team should they not be able to fill? BUT, first things first...BEAT RICE...then BEAT UAB and we will see where the chips fall.  Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Yup, UTEP in 2016 to get us bowl eligible was supposed to be a gimme. Old Dominion last year was supposed to be a gimme. Charlotte this year was supposed to be a gimme. There are no gimmes with this team. We have not had the consistent success at a high level to say anyone is a gimme. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, KRAM1 said:

I see a possibe issue for UNT should it get to 6 wins.  Look at the number of bowl eligible CUSA teams already...and those that have 5 wins in the books.

FAU - 7-3

La Tech 8-1

Marshall 6-3 

So Miss 6-3

UAB 6-3 

W. KY 6-4

Several of the above have some "should win" games left on their schedules, and Charlotte and FIU sit with 5 wins each.  So, with the number of bowls allocated to CUSA, does six wins get UNT into a bowl? I count six bowl tie-ins for CUSA this year (First Responders, Gaspirilla, New Orleans, New Mexico, Frisco and Bahamas) with six CUSA teams already at 6 wins or more.  If the current six win teams each win one more to get to seven wins...well, that would spell trouble for a six-win UNT.

So, who do the six win teams have left to play you ask?

Marshall has La Tech, Charlotte and FIU yet to play;

So Miss has UTSA, W. Ky and FAU to play;

UAB Has UTEP, La Tech and UNT to play, and

W. Kentucky has So. Miss and Middle Tenn to go.

So, it is somewhat logical to assume all of the current six-win bowl eligible teams will win at least one of their remaining games. Thus, CUISA ends up with six 7-win plus teams and six bowl tie-ins.  Leaving on the sidelines any 6-win team.

Not trying to be a "Debbie Downer" here, but the odds are not looking to be in UNT's favor at the moment.  So, question...are there any other bowls that might take a six-win CUSA team should they not be able to fill? BUT, first things first...BEAT RICE...then BEAT UAB and we will see where the chips fall.  Go Mean Green!

If other conferences can’t fill all their bowls then they will look other conference teams. 

Just now, Big Z said:

If other conferences can’t fill all their bowls then they will look other conference teams. 

Yes, but a glance at "other conferences" does not give me a lot of hope they can't fill their bowls.  But, I have not analyzed every conference and all the bowl tie-ins either.  Just a glace at the standings and records in Monday's paper. Will keep fingers crossed for sure.

5 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Yes, but a glance at "other conferences" does not give me a lot of hope they can't fill their bowls.  But, I have not analyzed every conference and all the bowl tie-ins either.  Just a glace at the standings and records in Monday's paper. Will keep fingers crossed for sure.

Yep can only hope 

16 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

As we found out a few years ago with the Independence Bowl stiffarm, it's not about records.  It's about who the BOWLS want in their game.    And if faced with a large clump of 7-5 & 6-6 C-USA teams, several bowls will rather have Mason Fine & the 6-6 Mean Green over WKU, UAB, FIU, etc... depending on geography (obviously Bowl games in Florida would rather have FIU, and the Birmingham Bowl will rather have UAB.

Just get to 6 wins please!    Go to a bowl game, get the extra practices in.   Hopefully we somehow get to draw a MAC team so we can actually win the Bowl game.  Otherwise, we'll be on a 4-bowl losing streak, and that's just not very fun.

• Downvote 2