Arkansas (11/12/19)

CMJ

We looked like crap on offense, but I am no fan of Arkansas' hot dogging.  McCasland has a lot to correct.  We need a true point guard, some flow to the offense, Simmons needs to be more aggressive around the basket.  Would of like to seem him slam some of his chances instead of the finesse moves.  He needs to realize he is a big boy with a big body.  He should be getting to the line at least 10 times a game.  We have talent, they just need some chemistry.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I like the way Jalen Jackson looks on the court. Give him more PT. He can be something for us

agreed. would like to see him work in minutes, but it's probably gotta be off the ball at this point. he's gonna have to get some of DJ's minutes, if this is going to be our style all year. 

• Lovely Take 1

Just now, UNTLifer said:

We looked like crap on offense, but I am no fan of Arkansas' hot dogging.  McCasland has a lot to correct.  We need a true point guard, some flow to the offense, Simmons needs to be more aggressive around the basket.  Would of like to seem him slam some of his chances instead of the finesse moves.  He needs to realize he is a big boy with a big body.  He should be getting to the line at least 10 times a game.  We have talent, they just need some chemistry.

Maybe we shouldn’t have allowed them to have a reason to hot dog. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, GrandGreen said:

NT is much taller than Arkansas. 

in this more modern game (college lags behind NBA, but point stands)...I really wish we'd stop viewing this as a meaningful metric.

a team of 6'4" wings can actively control the perimeter and deny entry to damn near anyone. not to say Zach shouldn't have been better around the rim with his touches. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is not a good Arkansas team which makes the loss much worse.

Slow ball may be an equalizer against better teams, but I am not sure Arkansas was.   NT shot a horrible percentage.

Refs kind of took over game in the second half, Arkansas hit 20 of 24 free shots for the game. 

Zack Simmons could dominate a game like this if he could stay out of foul trouble.  

Glad to see Smart back, hope he gets his shot back, he certainly didn't have it this game. 

You would think Arkansas would have a better game feed, just about unwatchable at my place.  

• Thanks 1

I don’t know where we are going to be 3 point shooting and free throw attempts from this year, but we have to improve in those areas to see a step forward this year. A lot of people bringing up height, but it’s not like we aren’t  getting rebounds. Our guards are shooting a lot of 3s (which they should given their skillsets), but not making them. We could really use 17-18 Smart right now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

He is a really good lockdown defender, but he has made some rookie mistakes. can't blame him because he needs more time

Well, what do we have to lose?  Put him out there and let him learn on the job during non-conference games. 

• Upvote 2

This is a bad loss and does not bode well for the rest of this season.  Arkansas is in a complete rebuild and may be one of the worst teams in the SEC.  The problem with all of these additions is we really don't appear to have a true point guard and it shows.  There is very little team chemistry and hopefully that will develop as the season progresses. 

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

This is a bad loss and does not bode well for the rest of this season.  Arkansas is in a complete rebuild and may be one of the worst teams in the SEC.  The problem with all of these additions is we really don't appear to have a true point guard and it shows.  There is very little team chemistry and hopefully that will develop as the season progresses. 

I think we can bank on that.

With Woolridge, as well Duffy & Miller all gone... that's a huge chunk of Guard points and minutes from last year.   The returners with the most experience are Gibson & Smart, with Draper being a bomber & J.Simmons playing a lot of 4/5 minutes.   Of course, we still have the anchor Z.Simmons in the middle as well, so that helps.

I suspect it's going to take some time to figure out who the gamers are, and for the JUCO guys to gel with the rest of the team.  I like that Jackson & Wise both appear to be contributors right away, but they both still need time to find their roles on the team as well.

The talent is here (we'll obviously miss Woolridge) to be good, but we may not see it until conference play.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don't think we'll be that bad. Lunardi has us as next 4 out right now. We made the NIT last year and wouldn't surprise me if we did again this year but Musselman is a better coach than Anderson was and Isaiah Joe-Mason Jones should be one of the best guard combos in the SEC. We have finished higher than projected almost every single year in the last decade. We'll get better once we get our starting center back from suspension too.

It's still early. We beat a Rice team by 48 who beat Penn, who beat Alabama. I was impressed with your defense and there will be nights when your shots fall better than they did last night. If you judge the whole season based on results from the first few games then Kentucky will be lucky to make the tournament.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Hogfan14 said:

I don't think we'll be that bad. Lunardi has us as next 4 out right now. We made the NIT last year and wouldn't surprise me if we did again this year but Musselman is a better coach than Anderson was and Isaiah Joe-Mason Jones should be one of the best guard combos in the SEC. We have finished higher than projected almost every single year in the last decade. We'll get better once we get our starting center back from suspension too.

It's still early. We beat a Rice team by 48 who beat Penn, who beat Alabama. I was impressed with your defense and there will be nights when your shots fall better than they did last night. If you judge the whole season based on results from the first few games then Kentucky will be lucky to make the tournament.

Solid points.  Hey for both of our sakes I hope you turn out to be right.   I can only assess what I have seen thus far and it is certainly early.  Thanks again for visiting us and hope you come back often. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Would everyone fell better if we were 3-0 like last year playing SE college of the poor,  ect. We don't look good right now but we are also playing better programs like everyone wanted. Someone else said it earlier. It's a long season. Give them time to jell. Lots of new parts.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

Would everyone fell better if we were 3-0 like last year playing SE college of the poor,  ect. We don't look good right now but we are also playing better programs like everyone wanted. Someone else said it earlier. It's a long season. Give them time to jell. Lots of new parts.

Fair point.

21 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I haven’t seen this team yet, and would like to know how we got here from being competitive with VCU.

We were competitive with Arkansas as well until we put them in the bonus. 
I think it was 33-38 when we did that.   
Granted, for the first 30 minutes both teams were shooting like crap and the pace was just terrible, but once we put them in the bonus, they got a lot more confident in going to the basket and blew the doors off over the last 10 minutes. 
Defensively, we need to play with more discipline.  And that will come with time, just like the offense.

• Upvote 2