Tattoos and piercings shouldn’t be restricted in the workplace

Another subject that ask the question (and yes, you have EVERY right in the world to do what you want to yourself) - Is it OK to say that other "have to" accept what you do or they are "wrong". They might feel the same way about you, that you are wrong. Does not make one opinion wrong, just make for different sides. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

9 hours ago, CK4 said:

As someone with tats and piercings, I 100 percent agree and am glad that the stigma has lessened thanks to the Boomers heading to the morgue while Gen X and millenials seize the majority of the workforce.

They can have them at my company as long as they are covered up.  It is not a professional look, so ink up and pierce away, but don't blame others when you can't get hired.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Graddean said:

We agreed, and pointed out the employer had the same right not to hire him because of it.  Your right to a tat or piercing does not negate others rights to be turned off by them.

So much this!

For those who support the premise of this article, should employers even be allowed to have dress codes?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I'll hire on merit. Tattoos...piercings...mohawk...

really anything but a goatee. if you have a goatee just end things and make this a better world. 

Or a man bun…….

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 2
  • Eye Roll 1

On 11/8/2019 at 8:53 PM, Graddean said:

Years ago we had a student worker who had long unkempt hair.  Several warned him about the effect on employers.  His response was it was his right to wear his hair anyway he wanted.  We agreed, and pointed out the employer had the same right not to hire him because of it.  Your right to a tat or piercing does not negate others rights to be turned off by them.

Was your issue only that it was unkempt, or did you also take issue with the fact he had long hair to begin with?

54 minutes ago, Graddean said:

Primarily, the problem was it just looked messy.  We didn’t think any employer would be okay with him representing the company to customers.  It wasn’t just me.  It was the consensus of all the people working around him.

Hmm. Let me ask a different way. What if he just had long hair but there was no “unkempt” issue?

In my opinion, there simply is not a "one size fits all" answer to this question. Several things must be taken into consideration including the industry the firm represents, the customer base the firm is targeting, the employees of the firm and on an on.  Like most things, it depends on a lot of things, not simply the fact (or not) that the applicant has piercings, tattoos or a certain hairstyle.  Work in the food industry these days...pretty much anything goes. Work in a customer outside sales position...depends...and on it goes.  Plus, for me, it would also depend upon the applicants "attitude" regarding such things during the interview process.  Just way too many factors involved to have a blanket "yes/no" answer.

But, I will say, having hired and fired lots of folks during my career, that if, for whatever reason...protected status or not...I did not want to hire someone...I would not! Period, and I guarantee you that I would have a legit reason why not. If an employer cannot figure out how to hire the individuals they think best fit their organization, they need to let someone else do the hiring and firing.  

When I was but a young lad, they wouldn't hire any male who had long hair....Beatles type hair was a complete no no.  When I entered the Air Force tattoos were a no no in the military as well...and an earring on a male...nope...no way...not gonna happen.  Point is, times and customs change and employers need to change as well as best their industry/firm allows.  I would not "write off" any applicant until and after the interview process.  To write-off an applicant simply due to the fact that they have a tattoo or two, or "different" hair, etc. is silly in my opinion.  Hire the best candidate, period, for the position open.  

True story, one of the steps in the interview process for me, when hiring upper level positions was to take the candidate to lunch.  After that, dinner with his/her spouse or significant other.  One can tell a great deal about people over a meal and how they respond and act in social settings. Was about to hire one guy once UNTIL we had lunch together.  Guy's table manners were TERRIBLE! Could not have him representing the firm.  Done!  Hired the lady that was my second choice after having dinner with her and her then boyfriend.  Was forever glad I did not hire the guy!  Didn't know if she had any tattoos or not!  

But, about that man bun thing...don't even darken my doorstep!!!!  Ha!