WBB: Mid-American Christian

UNTLifer

What an example of poor coaching.   Can't hit the broadside of a barn and coach allows team to keep throwing up the long shots.   2 made out of 35 threes, that 6%.  Mitchell should not allow a single three point shot in the next game.  Going to the inside would have easily won this game. 

Mitchell maybe an NT icon, but coaching like this will lose a job in a hurry.   

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Does it make anyone feel better that MACU is a really, really good NAIA team?

Me neither. 

no not when our coach is in year 5 and still has a losing record, this should make the seat extremely hot, losing a 13 pt halftime lead. SMFH!!

• Upvote 3

Just now, untbowler said:

no not when our coach is in year 5 and still has a losing record, this should make the seat extremely hot, losing a 13 pt halftime lead. SMFH!!

I think she has done an acceptable job from being hired to now.  I do certainly believe it is time to take the next step.  This loss today is really not a good start to that.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

What an example of poor coaching.   Can't hit the broadside of a barn and coach allows team to keep throwing up the long shots.   2 made out of 35 threes, that 6%.  Mitchell should not allow a single three point shot in the next game.  Going to the inside would have easily won this game. 

Mitchell maybe an NT icon, but coaching like this will lose a job in a hurry.   

I love Jalie Mitchell, but her "in-game" coaching, or lack thereof, has always puzzled me.  I attended both the TWU and the Mid-American games, and came away from both shaking my head. We have women's season tickets so we go to most every home game and an away game or two from time to time.  The lack of "shooters" is puzzling, but what is more puzzling to me is Coach Mitchell's response during games to scoring droughts. She never seems to change her expression, never seems to get excited...thus her teams never seem to get excited...rarely gets on an official, never "chews out" a player on the bench, often leaves players in the game after making multiple turnovers, rarely calls a time out to stop an opposing team's run.....I just don't get it. I am nowhere near ready to "throw in the towel" on Coach Mitchell.  I think she has the potential to become one of UNT's all-time best coaches, I just do not understand her "in-game" coaching style. In the Mid-American game, as Mid-America was draining threes over the top of UNT, Jalie never had her team go out an actually guard against the three. Just seemed to sit back and say, "well, they can't keep doing that" much longer.

But, then again, what the heck do I know about coaching basketball?  Pretty much nothing...except that I only lost one game over a two-year span coaching one of Argyle's 6th grade basketball teams back in the day. Does that count?  Ha! OK, let's just say I was a much better recruiter than coach.  I think there was a rule added after my two years about having to live in Argyle or go to school in Argyle to play on an Argyle team now.  Hey, no such rule when I coached...hmmmmm...recruited my way to the championship two years in a row!  Ha!

I just hope the Mid-American fiasco (they are 4-0 on the year) was an "outlier", and things will get better starting with the next game. I do have faith in Coach Mitchell and believe she will get things straightened out.  The team if full of newcomers and it was obvious in the first two games that the new comers have not gelled into the team as yet. Most are playing their first Division I games and seem to be a tad "lost" at times. This will certainly change as the year progresses, so, for me, I'll keep the faith and keep attending. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 11/8/2019 at 11:45 AM, KRAM1 said:

I love Jalie Mitchell, but her "in-game" coaching, or lack thereof, has always puzzled me.  I attended both the TWU and the Mid-American games, and came away from both shaking my head. We have women's season tickets so we go to most every home game and an away game or two from time to time.  The lack of "shooters" is puzzling, but what is more puzzling to me is Coach Mitchell's response during games to scoring droughts. She never seems to change her expression, never seems to get excited...thus her teams never seem to get excited...rarely gets on an official, never "chews out" a player on the bench, often leaves players in the game after making multiple turnovers, rarely calls a time out to stop an opposing team's run.....I just don't get it. I am nowhere near ready to "throw in the towel" on Coach Mitchell.  I think she has the potential to become one of UNT's all-time best coaches, I just do not understand her "in-game" coaching style. In the Mid-American game, as Mid-America was draining threes over the top of UNT, Jalie never had her team go out an actually guard against the three. Just seemed to sit back and say, "well, they can't keep doing that" much longer.

But, then again, what the heck do I know about coaching basketball?  Pretty much nothing...except that I only lost one game over a two-year span coaching one of Argyle's 6th grade basketball teams back in the day. Does that count?  Ha! OK, let's just say I was a much better recruiter than coach.  I think there was a rule added after my two years about having to live in Argyle or go to school in Argyle to play on an Argyle team now.  Hey, no such rule when I coached...hmmmmm...recruited my way to the championship two years in a row!  Ha!

I just hope the Mid-American fiasco (they are 4-0 on the year) was an "outlier", and things will get better starting with the next game. I do have faith in Coach Mitchell and believe she will get things straightened out.  The team if full of newcomers and it was obvious in the first two games that the new comers have not gelled into the team as yet. Most are playing their first Division I games and seem to be a tad "lost" at times. This will certainly change as the year progresses, so, for me, I'll keep the faith and keep attending. 

Congrats on your coaching career, reaffirms that recruiting is everything. 

I do think this game is an outlier.  This team has some players and will gel to a much better team. 

What concerns me and inline with your comments, is her post-game comments.  

She recognized and complained about her team shooting so many threes.  Why not stop it, do the players not pay any attention to her direction or does she not coach on the sideline?

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1