I don't get it

untjim1995

3 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

As you may or may not know (or care), but  I grew up in Greater Houston.  As a teen (& until I transferred from Alvin CC to UNT) I was a huge UH Cougar fan.
As a youth,  I witnessed some great UH sports moments culminating to being in the Astrodome for the UH vs. UCLA (or Elvin Hayes vs. Lew Alcindor) extravaganza.  A game that broadcaster Dick Enberg credited with causing  NCAA basketball to move from being a regional sport to the March Madness national sport it is today.  

So yes, ck4, you have every right to be proud of UH’s Athletic successes of the past, but for the life of me, man, I don’t get it why you are a non-stop squatter on GMG & continually diss North Texas along with our Athletic program.  

We know what our problems are (& have been) so your constantly reminding us of them really serves no real purpose at all, does it?  What you do here is tantamount to one forcing himself (as an uninvited guest ) to someone’s living room & then proceeding to depositing a piled high steamer in the middle of that living room.  Yes, a feat that would get you noticed by many, but what you leave behind would still stink to high heavens.  So...is this the kind of fan forum legacy you as a passionate UH alum & Cougar fan want to leave on a fellow Texas university’s home turf?  

• All of us at the G5 level (even those who are former P5 schools) are fighting to remain significant with aspirations to move up the NCAA ladder because (after all)— isn’t being upwardly mobile still the American way? 

GMG!

He’s just a troll—admitted one, too. He’s been banned on several other boards, as well. 

He spends time here making fun of us and our lack of football success. He’s the same kind of guy that would laugh at the homeless while living in a shady apartment. 

We have played UH 4 times in football since moving back to FBS, 3 of which have been in Denton, and not one of them have been close. They have murdered us each time, with three different head coaches. I doubt next year’s game in Houston will be any different. So why this guy comes around here to laugh at us is very telling. I’ve never, thankfully, met him, but he seems like he’d be Matt Dillon’s character in Something About Mary, based off of his posting style here.

• Haha 1

U of H was lucky to get into the SWC.  That's all they have, and a few good years of Phi Slamma Jamma.  Yes, they have UNTs number.  And they are fairly successful, only due to their association with the SWC.

But...……..if U of H was "all that", why weren't they asked to help form the Big 12 during all the conference shakeups?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

U of H was lucky to get into the SWC.  That's all they have, and a few good years of Phi Slamma Jamma.  Yes, they have UNTs number.  And they are fairly successful, only due to their association with the SWC.

But...……..if U of H was "all that", why weren't they asked to help form the Big 12 during all the conference shakeups?

UH was very good in football and basketball in the 60 and 70s, which made the SWC have to give them a look. Also, Rice was dying on the vine in Houston, so the SWC wanted to pro up that market. In DFW, you had TCU and SMU already and we got good just after UH got admitted and the privates saw how successful UH was right away, so adding us was a non-starter.

What drives me insane to this day is that Hayden Fry/North Texas only limited themselves to the SWC. The Big Eight would have been the perfect conference for us to join and help grow into Texas. At the time, OU was the only team that played annually here in Texas. The Big Eight getting into DFW would’ve been massive and might have made the SWC think twice. We could have been playing OU, Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, missouri, etc...as conference mates. But instead, we were told no, Hayden left, and we basically gave up. And that’s how you end up like this, desperately hanging on to FBS status, but well below the UHs of the world, who are miles below the teams of the Big 12.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

What drives me insane to this day is that Hayden Fry/North Texas only limited themselves to the SWC. The Big Eight would have been the perfect conference for us to join and help grow into Texas. At the time, OU was the only team that played annually here in Texas. The Big Eight getting into DFW would’ve been massive and might have made the SWC think twice. We could have been playing OU, Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, missouri, etc...as conference mates.

YES! It's doesn't matter now, but both Nebraska and Missouri would have loved to play in Texas on a regular basis. 

• Upvote 1