I don't get it

untjim1995

1 hour ago, Big Z said:

Less complaining and not over zealously remembering the past.

Label it what you want, "OldDenton" is fine with me, but we should honor our traditions, not disparage our school and wear our school colors.  If "NewDenton" is ignoring all of this then I will happily be labelled old.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I love the ambition and direction our administration has taken regarding athletics, and don't think excuses have any place, but I also feel there is a balance between the vision of the future and honoring your past.

Honoring your past? Or do you mean something such as, "Well, guys, we used to be really, really awful. But, now, we just suck. So, show a little gratitude, why dontcha. In the meantime, look at the vision." 

I don't know you lifer and I know each of our comments gets on each others nerves here and there, but if you meant anything remotely close to my sarcastic synopsis of your post, then it's the voice of a loser...Or let's face it, a UNT alum. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

SMU kept beating teams and hit the top 25. NT fizzled out after blowing their load in the Arkansas game. As much as I dislike SMU, I bet they get to a decent Bowl and get a win on national tv. Unlike NT, who got thoroughly outplayed and slapped around in New Mexico last year. Leave it to NT to kill all momentum from last year to disappointing season in 2019. SMU will be the talk of the metroplex in 2020. I wonder if they can keep their momentum going?

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

I guess the reality is that those old SWC schools in the AAC just have it 100x better than those of us in the Lower G5’s. That gap has never felt more pronounced than it does now to me. I’ve seen UH and SMU have great seasons recently and get ranked. I’ve never seen a day when anyone in our conference(s) are even ranked, much less us.

These two schools blew our doors off this year. What makes next year any different when we lose our stud QB? And next year, we get the added insult of getting to play at A&M, who has pulverized our CUSA brethren of late. 

I suppose it just reiterated the point that the best thing that can happen to us in a realistic fashion is for the SBCUSA to just realign soon. Because if we can’t compete ever with a TV contract, we need to cut travel costs ASAP and increase fan attendance from both schools for home conference games.

• Ray 1

On 11/7/2019 at 9:32 AM, SilverEagle said:

And their former glory days in the old SWC. Lots of people in the metroplex still yearn for the good ol' days of the SWC. 

Like it or not, our mascot has never been in a family portrait like this one. 

Image result for bill mcclanahan's cartoons of the old Southwest Conference

I don't know how or why, but I used to have that poster when I was a kid.

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I’ve seen UH and SMU have great seasons recently and get ranked. I’ve never seen a day when anyone in our conference(s) are even ranked, much less us.

When was the last time anybody in CUSA had a season worthy of being ranked?

There’s no bias against CUSA, the fact is that it’s a piss poor football conference these days. 

App St. was ranked before they lost last week. It’s a simple formula-win some damn games. 

1 hour ago, GRN-WHT said:

When was the last time anybody in CUSA had a season worthy of being ranked?

There’s no bias against CUSA, the fact is that it’s a piss poor football conference these days. 

App St. was ranked before they lost last week. It’s a simple formula-win some damn games. 

I actually think we’ll see a ranked CUSA team very very soon if NT loses this weekend.

Running a conference gamut cleanly & ending the year with a single loss to the Longhorns will get LATech ranked for sure.

On 11/7/2019 at 2:03 PM, wardly said:

SMU belongs to Dallas, TCU belongs to Ft. Worth, and UNT, well, we just don't belong.

$mut can put "Dallas" on the front of their jerseys and the City of Dallas logo on their helmets all they want. The city literally doesn't give a shit about them. If they did, they would have a sold out stadium every week. 

It's just about $$$  always has been for them. That's the only reason anyone talks about them. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Was Boise State ranked ever when we were both in the Big West? Or did they hit their stride after that? Because I don’t think we have ever had another member team be ranked while we shared a conference with them in the SBCUSA.

It was after. They went to the MWC, we went to the Sun Belt. 

On 11/7/2019 at 10:21 AM, CK4 said:

1. UNT has never won anything of significance. Winning 4 Sun belt chanpionships in a row and beating 3-9 Arkansas doesn't mean jack shit. Go 8-0 or better.

2. UNT has shot down anything athletics related for decades. You're fooling yourselves of you think that mindset changes overnight.

3. UNT does not know how to play politics at all. Most Texas legislators are UT, A&M and UH alums with the others thrown in there. Every SWC school to this very day gets a lot done through politics. Do you think UH gets a med school funded and secured, block UT from making a Houston campus, block A&M from building a Houston law school, file a cease and desist on South Texas school of law to keep them from changing its name to Houston College of Law, get the governor to advocate for us for the Big 12 and our billionaire BOR President who also owns the Rockets to openly make political threats with no reprecussions by playing nice? Also our AD openly said that we don't and won't approve of most G5 schools trying to take UConn's spot in the AAC. There's a reason why UH has a special clause in the AAC contracts.

UNT is a political pushover, always has been.

4. UNT football isn't very interesting. They finally have a face of the team in Mason Fine only for it to all be pissed away in 2018 and 2019. Hindsight is 20/20 but UNT did a big disservice to Mr. Fine by not redshirting him after the 2-2 start.

Fix these problems and UNT will get more love.

Valid points. At least we didn't give this world Lizzo and whatever the hell that is that she calls music. 

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:44 PM, UNTLifer said:

Total bullshit comment.  You are freaking clueless

Why is it bullshit? SMU gets coverage from DMN, TCU from Star Telegram, and UNT from DRC. I can only assume  by your "freaking clueless " remark that you  road the little bus to school . Grow up.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, wardly said:

Why is it bullshit? SMU gets coverage from DMN, TCU from Star Telegram, and UNT from DRC. I can only assume  by your "freaking clueless " remark that you  road the little bus to school . Grow up.

You comment wasn't about news coverage.  You stated SMU belongs to Dallas.  Dallas doesn't care about SMU.  TCU belongs to Fort Worth...true statement.  UNT, well, we just don't belong.  Wrong we belong to the region and winning would cure a lot of the woes and bring our alums out of the woodwork.  Your original post had nothing to do with newspaper coverage.

No, the "freaking clueless" remark was right on target.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

You comment wasn't about news coverage.  You stated SMU belongs to Dallas.  Dallas doesn't care about SMU.  TCU belongs to Fort Worth...true statement.  UNT, well, we just don't belong.  Wrong we belong to the region and winning would cure a lot of the woes and bring our alums out of the woodwork.  Your original post had nothing to do with newspaper coverage.

No, the "freaking clueless" remark was right on target.

I was eluding to all forms of media coverage. I grew up in Ft. Worth, graduated from NTSU in 1966, and have lived in Dallas since 1970. We have never received the coverage afforded SMU/TCU with the possible exception of Hayden Fry's tenure, and if we truly belong to the region our media coverage doesn't reflect it. As to "fans in the woodwork ", that's unfortunately where most of them reside until once a decade when we put together a few winning seasons . As to SMU and Dallas, you are correct  that fans don't care much about the Mustangs , but that doesn't mean they care about UNT. Finally , you are a jerk.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

Dallas cares about.

1) Cowboys

2-11) Big 12

12) P5 school of choice

11ty billion) SMU (because 80s)

The Infinite Never) UNT

1.5) brunch 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/7/2019 at 1:37 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Honoring your past? Or do you mean something such as, "Well, guys, we used to be really, really awful. But, now, we just suck. So, show a little gratitude, why dontcha. In the meantime, look at the vision." 

I don't know you lifer and I know each of our comments gets on each others nerves here and there, but if you meant anything remotely close to my sarcastic synopsis of your post, then it's the voice of a loser...Or let's face it, a UNT alum. 

Couldn’t be further from what I intended. 

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, wardly said:

I was eluding to all forms of media coverage. I grew up in Ft. Worth, graduated from NTSU in 1966, and have lived in Dallas since 1970. We have never received the coverage afforded SMU/TCU with the possible exception of Hayden Fry's tenure, and if we truly belong to the region our media coverage doesn't reflect it. As to "fans in the woodwork ", that's unfortunately where most of them reside until once a decade when we put together a few winning seasons . As to SMU and Dallas, you are correct  that fans don't care much about the Mustangs , but that doesn't mean they care about UNT. Finally , you are a jerk.

Okay, but that is not what your original post stated or appeared to allude to. 

• Downvote 1