I don't get it

untjim1995

Over the last few weeks, one of the many things I have not understood at all is the media love SMU has gotten. I know the SWC media still exists to a lesser degree than ever before, but the national guys and the local guys act like having SMU back as a ranked team and getting them on primetime is just a great thing for college football. From ESPN and their main guys, Fowler and Herbstreit, to the other college football hosts on various outlets, as well as the local guys here in DFW, its as if the Death Penalty was just too hard and they didn't deserve to be that punished, like CFB has been hurt by not having piss-ant SMU around. They draw flies for games. 

I truly don't understand it--at all. Last year, when we made some waves when we beat Arkansas, everyone thought it was cute, but it was all about SL being the next hot thing and that some place bigger will get him ASAP. When we lost to La Tech, it was not met with any disappointment at all, just a shrug of the media's shoulders locally. To hear many of these media guys here locally--and nationally--its like SMU losing was just a punch to their gut. Again, this is a school that cheated more than anyone and to a higher degree than anyone has ever seen (helped by a sitting governor). They can't get 20k to almost any game they play at home.

What am I missing here?

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2

34 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

And like it or not, past tradition. Doak Walker, Don Meredith, James, Dickerson...

I get that, but those name left SMU anywhere between 37 and 70 years ago. Nobody famous has gone there since then, at least not like those names listed.

I actually am starting to believe their Death Penalty has made them a sympathetic figure. Just amazes me...

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

It’s a nostalgia thing. They represent the good bad and influential of Dallas. People have an affinity for them even though they don’t want to necessarily be them. 

Further, staying ranked in the top 25 for over a month is more important and impressive than beating a downtrodden sec program. That is why I wanted us to crack into the top 25 so we would get weekly exposure. Mason has done his part to get us exposure now Seth needs to crush the end of the season to avoid us becoming an afterthought. 

GMG

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I get that, but those name left SMU anywhere between 37 and 70 years ago. Nobody famous has gone there since then, at least not like those names listed.

I actually am starting to believe their Death Penalty has made them a sympathetic figure. Just amazes me...

Its simple. A lot of those folks were in their formative years when that happened, and anything reminding them of that period will be met by positive feelings even if it was something questionable.. No recruit can remember it though for sure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

Its simple. A lot of those folks were in their formative years when that happened, and anything reminding them of that period will be met by positive feelings even if it was something questionable.. No recruit can remember it though for sure.

Exactly.

If Miami and Notre Dame ever renewed their yearly series from the 80's, people 40+ would go nuts.  Hell, some of the first big college games I remember watching were their clashes.

• Upvote 1

Nebraska, ND, Miami, etc...all have huge followings and have multiple national titles. SMU has none of it.

Didnt think about that ESPN-AAC deal. That actually makes more sense to me. 

I guess it just reiterated just how stuck we are in the Lower G5’s. CUSA has the NFL Network and Facebook streaming. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, croatan said:

ESPN has made a big 10 year investment in the AAC. Mike Aresco said that part of the new contract included much better promotion of the league.  ESPN treated the Smu game like it was a legit college game. 

Conf USA continues to struggle with its media deal. As long as ESPN has no interest in CUsa no school in the league will get any national traction. 

This

• Thanks 1

SMU, TCU, BAYLOR will do whatever it takes to keep UNT and any other lower G5 in Texas from climbing the ladder. This includes influencing Texas politics to keep everyone in there "Rightful" place. 

It also won't move the peg until UNT Alumni come together to push OUR agenda. But sadly it want happen when our alumni wear UT and ATM..etc clothing to our home games. It also hurts when many seem to be satisfied with our current conference affliation with little national prime time exposure. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, RBP79 said:

SMU, TCU, BAYLOR will do whatever it takes to keep UNT and any other lower G5 in Texas from climbing the ladder. This includes influencing Texas politics to keep everyone in there "Rightful" place. 

It also won't move the peg until UNT Alumni come together to push OUR agenda. But sadly it want happen when our alumni wear UT and ATM..etc clothing to our home games. It also hurts when many seem to be satisfied with our current conference affliation with little national prime time exposure. 

Old Denton

• Upvote 1

Just now, RBP79 said:

I think this is true not only for sports, but workplace and other places as well. There's strength in power. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

I dont think those 3 schools care about us that much... seasons like we are having right now... are why these 3 dont lose any sleep over us.  So until we can have consistent winning and upset some big boys every now and then... i dont think they will be paying much attention to us.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, croatan said:

ESPN has made a big 10 year investment in the AAC. Mike Aresco said that part of the new contract included much better promotion of the league.  ESPN treated the Smu game like it was a legit college game. 

Conf USA continues to struggle with its media deal. As long as ESPN has no interest in CUsa no school in the league will get any national traction. 

Exactly right. 

It wasn’t because they are SMU, it was because they won some damn football games.

The attention SMU received was no different than what UCF received the last few years. The media love the G5 underdog. TCU (before Big 12), Boise, UCF, Western Michigan a couple years ago, all G5 media darlings. SMU and App St had their chance this year. 

Edited by GRN-WHT
  • Upvote 1

As for us last year....if we would've beaten La Tech we would've gotten more attention. But we didn't. Then we did what we did the rest of the way. Off the radar.

Now that SMU has lost, they're not a national story anymore. They'll still get some attention but nothing like they would have going undefeated. Plus, they were lucky with the timing. There weren't big match ups the past few weeks. Now, ESPN will move on to the Big P5 match ups coming up post playoff ranking release. There's a reason 2 SEC and 2 Big 10 teams were in the top 4....they're all playing each other in the coming weeks. Huge for TV. SMU will fall back now.....

But don't forget. We had a chance last year to get even more attention and get ranked....but we didn't take care of business on the field.  

• Upvote 2