Is it too soon to talk about a Mason Fine Statue at Apogee?

Harry

28 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

At some point and time, but I feel that Abner Haynes and Leon King deserve one first.

Way too late, should have been the first statue. 

Maybe NT's finest moment and NT administrative continues to fail to commemorate it. 

Ever time, I see or hear the SMU Jerry Levias story; I regret the failure of NT to publicize Haynes and KIng's football careers, which happened about a decade before.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Too early for Fine,  HOF and statues need to be done after NT career's has time to mellow.

Makes me wonder why there was not a similar request for Steve Ramsey?  He had far more national records at the time than Fine does now and his teams were better. 

I think Fine is a better QB, but Ramsey put up some great numbers.  Ramsey is severely handicapped when compared to Fine because of the great disparity in games played.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

I think Joe Greene is a testament to the older generation -- my thinking is Fine could be someone the younger folks could embrace and know.  The younger folks are our future.  I agree there are plenty of guys that could be recognized and are deserving.  The Fine story is so emblematic of North Texas, the underdog that had to prove himself against all odds.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I think Joe Greene is a testament to the older generation -- my thinking is Fine could be someone the younger folks could embrace and know.  The younger folks are our future.  I agree there are plenty of guys that could be recognized and are deserving.  The Fine story is so emblematic of North Texas, the underdog that had to prove himself against all odds.

Harry, IMO these are for the greatest of our greats. Mason's time might come, but there are others that need to go up before him. With all due respect, our HOF is more of a Hall of Really Good, or in some cases, a Hall of "he was a good guy", If more statutes are to come, make them truly special. 

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Harry said:

Maybe those younger folks need to wait about 40 years like us older folks did to see Greene honored with a statue. 

Joe Greene is one of a kind.  Fine is a special player, but I hope he is the start of a lot of special players to play for NT.  

Unlikely, as it may seem: NT may generate more special players in the near future.  If NT doesn't produce those type of players in a decade or two; then let's discuss a statue for Fine.  

• Upvote 3

Joe Greene didn’t just get the statue for what he did at NT. He was an incredible ambassador for the university for decades after he left.

No doubt Fine can be that type of person, but I think he’ll have to do it to deserve the statue.

HoFer with out a doubt, Beck wave the five year rule and put him in on Senior day.

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

At some point and time, but I feel that Abner Haynes and Leon King deserve one first.

I certainly agree with Abner but not Leon King.  He did not take near the abuse that Abner did and his contribution was minimal.  Further, Abner was arguably the best player in the old AFL, a member of the Texas Hall of Fame and the Kansas City Chiefs Hall of Fame.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I certainly agree with Abner but not Leon King.  He did not take near the abuse that Abner did and his contribution was minimal.  Further, Abner was arguably the best player in the old AFL, a member of the Texas Hall of Fame and the Kansas City Chiefs Hall of Fame.

That is true, but King was also there with Abner. King and Haynes were THE first black players in the state of Texas. That SMU guy isnt

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

King certainly would not get in on his athletic merit, but some events are much bigger than that.

• Upvote 4

Fine is not worthy of a statute. Far exceeded everyone’s expectation and set some modern day passing records along the way; in this pass happy generation. We wouldn’t have a Mean Joe Green statute if he hadn’t also became a Pro Football Hall of Famer. Get the cute red down arrows ready. Come on now! 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Cooley said:

Fine is not worthy of a statute. Far exceeded everyone’s expectation and set some modern day passing records along the way; in this pass happy generation. We wouldn’t have a Mean Joe Green statute if he hadn’t also became a Pro Football Hall of Famer. Get the cute red down arrows ready. Come on now! 

5 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Joe Greene didn’t just get the statue for what he did at NT. He was an incredible ambassador for the university for decades after he left.

No doubt Fine can be that type of person, but I think he’ll have to do it to deserve the statue.

HoFer with out a doubt, Beck wave the five year rule and put him in on Senior day.

Greene is the only first team d1 All American to ever play at NT.   

He may not have got a statue without his pro career and all his ambassadorship for the school, but he still would be the most revered athlete ever to wear NT green. 

• Upvote 4