Woolridge

Shark84

2 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Did the San Diego message board say how great it was that he was moving up the food chain to NT? That is the part I find bizarre.

Once again, I have no issues with Ryan transferring. Those making the point about him pursuing graduate studies elsewhere are 100% right. In an age where the NCAA does all kinds of things that make people skeptical about the “student-athlete” moniker, this grad transfer rule actually reinforces it. 

Does San Diego have a message board?

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

All these posts about grad school at another school, would be a lot more persuasive if he was transferring to an Ivy League school rather than a basketball powerhouse. 

Again, I have no issue with Woolridge's transferring; it is obviously his choice to make.  I just think the graduate transfer rule is bad for collegian sports.  

I’m not suggesting this was solely an academic decision. But most of these kids realize they aren’t going to make $100 million in the league, so this gives them an opportunity to continue their education somewhere else? Im just saying it kind of makes sense. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 6:58 PM, forevereagle said:

Why do we allow our passions to take control and use them to justify this overly critical behavior? 

Because if we didn't do the first part of the sentence, college athletics scholarships would not exist in the first place. And because we do care so much, we do the second part of the sentence. This cannot be fully separated in a reasonable way.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

On 11/21/2019 at 3:50 PM, meangreenbob said:

You know, instead of dissing Woolridge maybe we should encourage our Administration to do whatever it takes to make our basketball program so attractive that not only do our quality players not want to leave but other top players want in!  

Yep. Ryan was a great leader here, but didn't fit with Coach Mac. Let's hope others see that we can produce talent

• Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 11/21/2019 at 3:50 PM, meangreenbob said:

You know, instead of dissing Woolridge maybe we should encourage our Administration to do whatever it takes to make our basketball program so attractive that not only do our quality players not want to leave but other top players want in!  

Don't see many dissing Woolridge at all. NT is going to have to go a long way to even be thought of in the same conversion as Gonzaga.

That is the problem with the graduate transfer rule.  The rich get richer, the poor ....

On 11/22/2019 at 10:12 PM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Yep. Ryan was a great leader here, but didn't fit with Coach Mac. Let's hope others see that we can produce talent

I have no idea why you think that.  I doubt very seriously that McCasland wanted to lose his best player.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Don't see many dissing Woolridge at all. NT is going to have to go a long way to even be thought of in the same conversion as Gonzaga.

That is the problem with the graduate transfer rule.  The rich get richer, the poor ....

I have no idea why you think that.  I doubt very seriously that McCasland wanted to lose his best player.  

Many people have said that he didn't fit with McCasland, and Ryan wanted to get the uptempo offense but McCasland wanted to slow it down (as we can see now) Of course he didn't want to lose Ryan , but...

Let's not forget that Ryan was recruited by Benford. We saw AJ and Khalil leave because they didn't like Mac as much as Benford.

I was surprised that Ryan stayed that long. 

6 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Many people have said that he didn't fit with McCasland, and Ryan wanted to get the uptempo offense but McCasland wanted to slow it down (as we can see now) Of course he didn't want to lose Ryan , but...

Let's not forget that Ryan was recruited by Benford. We saw AJ and Khalil leave because they didn't like Mac as much as Benford.

I was surprised that Ryan stayed that long. 

On your last point, believe he had previously redshirted because he started at San Diego even though he didn't play - so maybe didn't want to transfer and lose a season.

Really hated to see him go...seeing him thrive as much as he is at Gonzaga (including hitting some threes now???) makes me wonder if we didn't fully maximize his potential here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, meangreenacct said:

On your last point, believe he had previously redshirted because he started at San Diego even though he didn't play - so maybe didn't want to transfer and lose a season.

Really hated to see him go...seeing him thrive as much as he is at Gonzaga (including hitting some threes now???) makes me wonder if we didn't fully maximize his potential here.

I just think he's more comfortable at Gonzaga. He has less limitations

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/25/2019 at 9:25 PM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I just think he's more comfortable at Gonzaga. He has less limitations

Watching him play for the first time this season.  He looks good. He has his legs under him. He just looked so tired last season.  Glad he’s doing well and REALLY glad we have Hamlet. GMG!

• Upvote 6

To me this is very simple:

Woodridge is a much better fit (for his style) at Gonzaga then he was at UNT

Hamlet is a much better fit (Style) at UNT than Woodridge was

If this was the pros, and UNT and Gonzaga had traded these players (Woodbridge to Gonzaga, Hamlet to UNT), both teams would call each other again this offseason to see if they could do another trade, because both teams got better because of the switch.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

To me this is very simple:

Woodridge is a much better fit (for his style) at Gonzaga then he was at UNT

Hamlet is a much better fit (Style) at UNT than Woodridge was

If this was the pros, and UNT and Gonzaga had traded these players (Woodbridge to Gonzaga, Hamlet to UNT), both teams would call each other again this offseason to see if they could do another trade, because both teams got better because of the switch.

I am not sure how much better Gonzaga got, they were already in the top five.  He fit their needs, but they would have got someone equivalent if not Woolridge. 

Gonzaga really does not matter as Woolridge was leaving before he got that offer, supposedly to OK St.  Maybe it was his relationship with McCasland, his  preference for a faster paced offense, or my guess a desire to play on a bigger stage. that motivated his move.    

• Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I am not sure how much better Gonzaga got, they were already in the top five.  He fit their needs, but they would have got someone equivalent if not Woolridge. 

Gonzaga really does not matter as Woolridge was leaving before he got that offer, supposedly to OK St.  Maybe it was his relationship with McCasland, his  preference for a faster paced offense, or my guess a desire to play on a bigger stage. that motivated his move.    

He helped fill a need for their team and has been key. Great for him and them. Working out pretty well to this point for both sides

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

I am not happy for Woolridge and I hope it doesn’t work out for him.  What he did was selfish especially to his teammates.  This Kuymbaya bullshit when people f you over is 4 the birds.

I hope you have never left a job for something that was better for you. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

55 minutes ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

I am not happy for Woolridge and I hope it doesn’t work out for him.  What he did was selfish especially to his teammates.  This Kuymbaya bullshit when people f you over is 4 the birds.

The kid GRADUATED.  Period.  at that point he has the blessing to leave to further his career, future outlook, etc....just as everyone of us did.   

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1