Woolridge

Shark84

40 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

After reading some of his quotes about how great Gonzaga is compared to NT,  I really am not that interested in his play there. 

He is an one of a kind player; and will continue to do well.  If he can develop an outside shot, he could be a good pro prospect. 

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/gonzaga/almost-like-a-dream-ryan-woolridge-talks-to-commitment-to-gonzaga/293-4132815f-a51b-4aef-ae68-39ea2b00acf0

Is this what you are talking about? Because it sounds to me more like he is clowning other schools like Oklahoma State than UNT. To me, it sounds like Gonzaga is just an extension of what he got here at UNT,  which isn't a criticism. Also, he is right, Gonzaga does offer him opportunities that UNT will not such as competing for a National Championship as they are always in the hunt, year after year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

Why should I care?

He does not play for us because he did not want to play for us.

This is like keeping up with your ex girlfriend that dumped you for someone she thought was better looking.

Move on.

10 minutes ago, ttunt1970 said:

AMEN 86

Feel free to ignore subsequent threads on him... because there will likely be more.

Like it or not, he's an alumnus of our University.   He earned his degree from NT just like we did.   He just happened to have an additional year of eligibility, and he's using it where he feels best.    

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

I am not mad at Woolridge transferring at all and it would be foolish to do so.

Most players are going to transfer up the athletic food chain if they get that chance.   More publicity, probably better facilities, bigger crowds and a chance to play against better opposition. 

What I don't like is the graduate transfer rule, for the following reasons:

It penalizes a school for paying for summer school for athletes that allows them to graduate early. 

It hurts the fans, teammates and schools that have supported the athlete and would like to see him or her finish their eligibility with the team.

The biggest problem is that it helps insure that the big programs get better and the lower get worse.  No one if they have a choice is going to transfer down to a lesser program, so the better a program already is, the more likely they will get great transfers. 

This makes it a lot more improbable that perennial lower ranked team will ever significantly climb up in the athletic world.  

This rule is a nightmare for those that want a more competitive environment for athletics.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish Ryan the best. He played his butt off for us and most importantly, he graduated.  Not sure what else we could have asked of him.

What I have an issue with is the seeming celebration about him "moving up" to Gonzaga.  The fact that he left (and I don't blame him for it) in no way flatters us.

Edit: Celebration is probably too strong of a word. Maybe "positivity" would be the better one. 

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I wish Ryan the best. He played his butt off for us and most importantly, he graduated.  Not sure what else we could have asked of him.

What I have an issue with is the seeming celebration about him "moving up" to Gonzaga.  The fact that he left (and I don't blame him for it) in no way flatters us.

Edit: Celebration is probably too strong of a word. Maybe "positivity" would be the better one. 

Well we celebrated the CBI while Gonzaga celebrates NCAA regionals.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

13 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I am not mad at Woolridge transferring at all and it would be foolish to do so.

Most players are going to transfer up the athletic food chain if they get that chance.   More publicity, probably better facilities, bigger crowds and a chance to play against better opposition. 

What I don't like is the graduate transfer rule, for the following reasons:

It penalizes a school for paying for summer school for athletes that allows them to graduate early. 

It hurts the fans, teammates and schools that have supported the athlete and would like to see him or her finish their eligibility with the team.

The biggest problem is that it helps insure that the big programs get better and the lower get worse.  No one if they have a choice is going to transfer down to a lesser program, so the better a program already is, the more likely they will get great transfers. 

This makes it a lot more improbable that perennial lower ranked team will ever significantly climb up in the athletic world.  

This rule is a nightmare for those that want a more competitive environment for athletics.  

Under a different set of circumstances but Ryan transferred from San Diego to UNT. Never played but used up their dime during the recruiting process.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

I’m happy for him. He did a great job for us and is a fellow UNT alum! 

I get this sentiment and I also share it but I do think there is another side to this story that needs to be told.  I know you to be a very knowledgeable fan so hear me out and let me know your thoughts.

So you come to UNT, after many of the bigger more prestigious academic schools pass you over.  UNT believes in you and gives you a shot.  You make the most of it.  You study your ass off and do well.

You do great in school and heading into your senior year with numerous academic awards and scholarships/opportunities after graduation you decide to transfer to a bigger more prestigious school that passed you by the 1st time.   You finish up at that school and become very successful in life.  Your degree says that schools name, the school that originally passed you over but decide to jump back into the picture when it became beneficial for them to do so.  All of your classmates who participated in your ascension academically are now questioning themselves and wondering should they too look for greener pastures?  Why did he leave us?

Do you see anything wrong with this picture?

I know the common reply is we do the same thing but I don't think that makes it necessarily right.

Just now, Harry said:

I get this sentiment and I also share it but I do think there is another side to this story that needs to be told.  I know you to be a very knowledgeable fan so hear me out and let me know your thoughts.

So you come to UNT, after many of the bigger more prestigious academic schools pass you over.  UNT believes in you and gives you a shot.  You make the most of it.  You study your ass off and do well.

You do great in school and heading into your senior year with numerous academic awards and scholarships/opportunities after graduation you decide to transfer to a bigger more prestigious school that passed you by the 1st time.   You finish up at that school and become very successful in life.  Your degree says that schools name, the school that originally passed you over but decide to jump pback into the picture when it became beneficial for them to do so.

Was it beneficial to UNT to make an offer to you when they did? The shot offered by UNT was the same, just with different timing. Also, does this suggest that it will somehow be bad for him to go to Gonzaga and potentially get a masters and NBA scouts looking at him? He is benefiting from this new relationship as well. 

Did he tear up his UNT degree? Does he leave it off of his resume?

Would it be wrong for anyone else to get an undergrad from UNT and then a masters elsewhere? Why is one wrong and the other not? Why are athletes not able to pursue their own path without enduring criticism of every choice they make? Why do we allow our passions to take control and use them to justify this overly critical behavior? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

You do great in school and heading into your senior year with numerous academic awards and scholarships/opportunities after graduation you decide to transfer to a bigger more prestigious school that passed you by the 1st time.   You finish up at that school and become very successful in life.  Your degree says that schools name, the school that originally passed you over but decide to jump back into the picture when it became beneficial for them to do so.  All of your classmates who participated in your ascension academically are now questioning themselves and wondering should they too look for greener pastures?  Why did he leave us?

I know the common reply is we do the same thing but I don't think that makes it necessarily right.

The hole in your argument:  He graduated from NT.  He has a degree, just like you and me.  It's not his "Senior" year academically.

He had an additional "Senior" year of basketball eligibility though, so he's pursuing a Master's degree at a different university, for free.

Getting a Bachelor degree from one university, and a post-grad degree from another is completely normal (and often recommended).

It's not like he's going from NT to Tulsa or something.    That would be more frustrating.    He's going from NT to a National Championship contender.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The hole in your argument:  He graduated from NT.  He has a degree, just like you and me.  It's not his "Senior" year academically.

He had an additional "Senior" year of basketball eligibility though, so he's pursuing a Master's degree at a different university, for free.

Getting a Bachelor degree from one university, and a post-grad degree from another is completely normal (and often recommended).

It's not like he's going from NT to Tulsa or something.    That would be more frustrating.    He's going from NT to a National Championship contender.

This all day, if he didn’t graduate from UNT I would feel completely different. But I am ok with him using his last year of athletic eligibility to earn his masters at another 4 year University (unless it’s UTSA 😂)

• Thanks 1

Just now, bstnsportsfan3 said:

This all day, if he didn’t graduate from UNT I would feel completely different. But I am ok with him using his last year of athletic eligibility to earn his masters at another 4 year University (unless it’s UTSA 😂)

If he transferred to SMU, I'd advocate for removing his name from all record books.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

My Bachelors Degree says North Texas. My Masters Degree says the University I studied at in the UK. I represent both equally. I wouldn't have gotten the opportunity at a Masters abroad if not for North Texas. You don't have to rep one while shunning the other. You put in the same amount of work, effort, and sleepless study nights at both. As others said, it is more beneficial in the real world to get your Masters from another Graduate School than from your undergrad. His undergrad degree says North Texas, he currently studies at and plays for Gonzaga. Rep both schools. He earned that right. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Cooley said:

Under a different set of circumstances but Ryan transferred from San Diego to UNT. Never played but used up their dime during the recruiting process.

Did the San Diego message board say how great it was that he was moving up the food chain to NT? That is the part I find bizarre.

Once again, I have no issues with Ryan transferring. Those making the point about him pursuing graduate studies elsewhere are 100% right. In an age where the NCAA does all kinds of things that make people skeptical about the “student-athlete” moniker, this grad transfer rule actually reinforces it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Did the San Diego message board say how great it was that he was moving up the food chain to NT? That is the part I find bizarre.

Once again, I have no issues with Ryan transferring. Those making the point about him pursuing graduate studies elsewhere are 100% right. In an age where the NCAA does all kinds of things that make people skeptical about the “student-athlete” moniker, this grad transfer rule actually reinforces it. 

All these posts about grad school at another school, would be a lot more persuasive if he was transferring to an Ivy League school rather than a basketball powerhouse. 

Again, I have no issue with Woolridge's transferring; it is obviously his choice to make.  I just think the graduate transfer rule is bad for collegian sports.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1