Why Louisiana Tech expects 'best shot' from North Texas despite struggles

Harry

As Holtz has studied film on the Mean Green, who have had a disappointing 2019 up to this point, what he’s seen hasn’t surprised him. And it doesn’t cause a fiery response. For the Louisiana Tech head coach, it’s the same concern that comes each season matching up with North Texas.

“They’re everything I thought they’d be,” Holtz said.

Saying the 2019 season has not been smooth for North Texas, the preseason favorites to win the Conference USA West division, may be a bit of an understatement. With plentiful starters back from last year headlined by senior quarterback Mason Fine, the Mean Green had their sights set on their second conference championship game appearance in three years.

read more:  https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/college/louisiana-tech/2019/11/05/la-tech-football-expects-north-texas-best-shot/4159061002/

"They're everything I thought they would be, and they're having a very bad season" is the way I read this.

I too think it will ba a long shot for North Texas to upset such a dominant La Tech team with New Years Day 6 aspirations, but, like Mason said, we should give it our best try.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTexas said:

I read it as I don't think they are that good. They are what they are basically. He isn't going to come out and say we suck or gurantee a win but he isn't planning on losing.

Yeah, honestly over the course of the past couple seasons, the theme that I have picked up on over and over from CUSA coaches (when you look beyond the obligatory "coach speak") is that they do not respect North Texas.  They respect Mason Fine, but they do not think the rest of the team has any talent that they need to worry about.  Even last year, I kind of got that impression, and I suspect that they're seeing this year as confirmation of their talent assessment.

I don't agree with that sentiment, and I hope our players are noticing.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Greendylan said:

Yeah, honestly over the course of the past couple seasons, the theme that I have picked up on over and over from CUSA coaches (when you look beyond the obligatory "coach speak") is that they do not respect North Texas.  They respect Mason Fine, but they do not think the rest of the team has any talent that they need to worry about.  Even last year, I kind of got that impression, and I suspect that they're seeing this year as confirmation of their talent assessment.

Is that why they picked us to win the CUSA West?  

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Eye Roll 1

9 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Is that why they picked us to win the CUSA West?

There's a certain degree of gamesmanship in those preseason picks.  But, it also does speak to just how highly they think of Fine.  

Also, there's this:

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/conference-usa-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2019

• Upvote 2

Holtz immediately followed that quote up with this one:

“I don’t put on the film and say, ‘Oh wow, they’re not what I thought they’d be.’ I am not anticipating anything other than us having to play our absolute best to have any type of chance to be competitive and win this football game.”

I don't think it's fair to say Holtz is being disrespectful. I think he respects Mason Fine and North Texas greatly.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Who said he was?

I was referring primarily to the below post.

11 hours ago, Greendylan said:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BardDawg said:

That post does not suggest Coach Holtz said anything particularly disrespectful about North Texas.  The post is just speculating that C-USA coaches in general do not hold a great deal of respect for North Texas outside of Mason Fine.

On 11/7/2019 at 7:54 PM, BardDawg said:

Woah, woah, woah...

I think Holtz is a class act and a credit to the conference.  I didn't mean in any way to imply that he, or any other coaches, were being "disrespectful" in an offensive, personal sense.  I meant "respect" in an athletic competition context--as in "the safeties were creeping up since they didn't respect the QB's deep ball."  It's not an inappropriate, hateful remark but rather an observation of one's competitive advantage in some area against an opponent.  

10 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

Woah, woah, woah...

I think Holtz is a class act and a credit to the conference.  I didn't mean in any way to imply that he, or any other coaches, were being "disrespectful" in an offensive, personal sense.  I meant "respect" in an athletic competition context--as in "the safeties were creeping up since they didn't respect the QB's deep ball."  It's not an inappropriate, hateful remark but rather an observation of one's competitive advantage in some area against an opponent.  

I didn't take it as a hateful remark. The tenor of this thread is that coach Holtz was speaking "coachspeak" (i.e., that he's not worried about UNT today) and you implied CUSA coaches may not respect the UNT program, sans Fine. I merely added the rest of the quote from Holtz and stated my opinion that I don't think Holtz is the guy to take a program lightly, especially one that--it is clear to me--he respects. I wasn't attacking your post; just responding to it.

• Upvote 1