Virginia Commonwealth (11/8/19)

CMJ

53 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I agree it was a great game and we should be solid this season, but we will miss Woolridge even if we don’t fully understand it yet. I do think our last possessions cost us the game. Gibson made some poor decisions late. 

Yes, NT would have probably won the game with Woolridge.   However, he is not coming back and lamenting that is IMO a disservice to what may turn out to be a very good NT team.   

Gibson is not even supposed to be a point guard, but apparently they thrust him more than Wise or Jackson at this time.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I agree it was a great game and we should be solid this season, but we will miss Woolridge even if we don’t fully understand it yet. I do think our last possessions cost us the game. Gibson made some poor decisions late. 

I would debate if Wooly would of been on the floor the last 2 min. If so then foul him or stack the box would be the VCU move. Did not see the game but coming back to a top 25 team in n their home court with a long travel time is very positive to me!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Wag Tag said:

I would debate if Wooly would of been on the floor the last 2 min. If so then foul him or stack the box would be the VCU move. Did not see the game but coming back to a top 25 team in n their home court with a long travel time is very positive to me!

A huge positive and I’m genuinely impressed. I am concerned about our height a bit and our ball control but give it time. I believe he would have been out there because he would still be the best defender and ball handler on the team. 

I wonder what kind of impact Smart would have had. 

• Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

And Simmons missed a slightly contested lay up with 50 seconds left. .  The game was close.  It was a team effort win/lose. I agree, this has the makings of a solid season. GMG!

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Yes, NT would have probably won the game with Woolridge.   However, he is not coming back and lamenting that is IMO a disservice to what may turn out to be a very good NT team.   

Gibson is not even supposed to be a point guard, but apparently they thrust him more than Wise or Jackson at this time.

Wise is not a point guard. But also, I really wasn’t a big fan of Woolridge with the ball late in games either. I remember against ODU two years ago he had a similar two-possession stretch in the last minute where he didn’t even get us a shot off either time as well. And he’s such a non-threat to shoot off the dribble (could catch and shoot okay at times) that once they took the drive away from him and played the passing lanes, there really wasn’t much he could do.

Not saying we won’t miss Ryan overall though

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Wise is not a point guard. But also, I really wasn’t a big fan of Woolridge with the ball late in games either. I remember against ODU two years ago he had a similar two-possession stretch in the last minute where he didn’t even get us a shot off either time as well. And he’s such a non-threat to shoot off the dribble (could catch and shoot okay at times) that once they took the drive away from him and played the passing lanes, there really wasn’t much he could do.

Not saying we won’t miss Ryan overall though

It was reported and I can't find where., but it was stated that Wise was the backup pg.   Reese and Hamlet's early foul trouble may have lost the game. 

I was a little surprised that NT played so few players.   

I was a little leery of the play of the transfers in the first game, but they were much better in this game.   

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

It was reported and I can't find where., but it was stated that Wise was the backup pg.   Reese and Hamlet's early foul trouble may have lost the game. 

I was a little surprised that NT played so few players.   

I was a little leery of the play of the transfers in the first game, but they were much better in this game.   

I was told Wise and Jackson would be battling out for the backup PG position behind Gibson, but that was months ago. The transfers may be shaking things up. 

Any news on why Muhammad isn’t playing much? I thought he was suppose to really help us this season. Maybe in a slump or the dog house? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I was told Wise and Jackson would be battling out for the backup PG position behind Gibson, but that was months ago. The transfers may be shaking things up. 

Any news on why Muhammad isn’t playing much? I thought he was suppose to really help us this season. Maybe in a slump or the dog house? 

So much talent and depth on this team. Also Mohamed looked not so great against OCU

I watched Jackson in the first game and I think he can be a great player.  He just young and still learning.  I like him on defense very much.  I think the team is still just trying to find their flow.  When I look on the court I am amazed to see how many new faces are down there.  

We need to learn how win close games on the road. Hopefully we learn by next Tuesday.  I do give credit to coach Mac for playing some good teams this year.  Think the OU will be a sold out?  I am afraid there will be more Red and white in the stands than Green.White or Gray or Black.

Yeah this team misses Ryan but every team fouled him crunch time.  I think one of the reason he left was because he was not on the floor in close games at the end.  I was/am a big Ryan fan but coach Mac was right to  have him off the floor late in the game.  

I was always amazed how he could shoot from anywhere but from the foul line he struggled.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Vcu74 said:

Hey guys, VCU fan here- great game on your part!

Friends, y’all started a bet on our board, the popular opinion is you will be a top 100 NET team come selection Sunday. 

Best of luck this season, go get it!!

THanks for your kind words and congrats on the win.  Will be pulling for you guys this season!

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

0FC1033A-A6A9-4832-A317-A16EBA6C9012.jpeg

Ha!

I couldn’t watch because I gotta sleep sometime (at work now) but looks like one helluva game! Congrats on taking down Purdue and judging by just the gamecast, you were in the whole game and killed in ot.  Well Done!!

A2923153-114C-45EA-82A7-15F4F4A9DBB7.png

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1