QB IN 2020

Mean Green D2

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

We can cater the offense to Bean all we want but we have so much young talent at the skill positions, if he’s turning the ball over and not getting the ball in their hands then we aren’t going to be getting the most out of our talent. Also, if he isn’t hitting passes downfield then even with the added element of the QB running game, the offense will still be containable. 

100% agree.

• Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

We can cater the offense to Bean all we want but we have so much young talent at the skill positions, if he’s turning the ball over and not getting the ball in their hands then we aren’t going to be getting the most out of our talent. Also, if he isn’t hitting passes downfield then even with the added element of the QB running game, the offense will still be containable. 

We can't make a judgement on Bean based on a single game, but this is why it's been so infuriating that SL doesn't get these QBs more in-game experience (not just doing runs/hand-offs in the final 3 minutes).  

I'm a huge MF fan and hate not seeing him get every play he can, but we need to get some significant PT of the top 2 QBs before going into next season.  Otherwise, we're likely to burn the first 4 games with the wrong guy (which still may happen). 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

We can't make a judgement on Bean based on a single game, but this is why it's been so infuriating that SL doesn't get these QBs more in-game experience (not just doing runs/hand-offs in the final 3 minutes).  

I'm a huge MF fan and hate not seeing him get every play he can, but we need to get some significant PT of the top 2 QBs before going into next season.  Otherwise, we're likely to burn the first 4 games with the wrong guy (which still may happen). 

My evaluation of Bean is not based on one game. He was not a great high school QB, especially with accuracy, and he got his job taken by a younger QB who was a borderline D1 recruit, not a P5 guy. And here he has thrown 37 career passes with only 176 yards to show for it (4.8 yards/attempt) and has 4 picks plus I think 4 fumbles. 

I don’t see it with Bean and I haven’t since he committed over 2 years ago. And I don’t think him missing out on some extra garbage time snaps is what’s missing for him.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

My evaluation of Bean is not based on one game. He was not a great high school QB, especially with accuracy, and he got his job taken by a younger QB who was a borderline D1 recruit, not a P5 guy. And here he has thrown 37 career passes with only 176 yards to show for it (4.8 yards/attempt) and has 4 picks plus I think 4 fumbles. 

I don’t see it with Bean and I haven’t since he committed over 2 years ago. And I don’t think him missing out on some extra garbage time snaps is what’s missing for him.

Is Kason Martin that bad in practice that Bean is ahead of him in the depth chart? Seemed to be a much better QB in high school and the only one with a pulse in that disaster bowl game last year. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Is Kason Martin that bad in practice that Bean is ahead of him in the depth chart? Seemed to be a much better QB in high school and the only one with a pulse in that disaster bowl game last year. 

I don’t know. Martin is 6’2”+, player for a very high profile high school program, his dad is a coach, he had good production, and we were still his only Division One offer. That should tell you what coaches thought of his ability to translate to the D1 level. He doesn’t have a good throwing motion which I think is a big reason, if not the major reason, why none of the dozens of D1 coaches who recruit through Manvel didn’t think enough of him to offer. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I don’t know. Martin is 6’2”+, player for a very high profile high school program, his dad is a coach, he had good production, and we were still his only Division One offer. That should tell you what coaches thought of his ability to translate to the D1 level. He doesn’t have a good throwing motion which I think is a big reason, if not the major reason, why none of the dozens of D1 coaches who recruit through Manvel didn’t think enough of him to offer

“He doesn’t have a good throwing motion”...I recall was also the knock on Scott Davis as well and it was meaningless.  Sure,...he looked like he was throwing a javelin when he threw the ball....but his passes were the only passes in camp in which you heard the laces sing in the air as the ball went by and hit like a lightning bolt when it hit a WR’s hands.  The dude had a freaking cannon for an arm.  Not to mention an incredible drive to win that affected the teams he led.  

Martin threw for 6,460 yards and 85 TD’s at a very high level in HS and looks to have a deep passion to lead and win.  What other coaches thought of or didn’t think of him in HS doesn’t matter much to me.  We’ve seen the so called experts get it wrong every day.

The only way we’ll ever truly know what these players have,...guys like Bean, Martin, Auhne, Kuhne...is in-game experience.  Unfortunately we don’t seem to take advantage of the small amount of opportunities we get to get them that experience until injuries hit.

Rick

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I like Aune's age and experience...he was in the Yankee farm system. I believe he had a spring in Arkansas? (I could be wrong)

But he's older and wiser. He came in the game yesterday with a load of confidence....

Between Bean and Aune, who would I want leading the team in College Station next season? I want a poised, confident QB.

I want a experienced transfer. We all know that won't happen, so I would like to see Bean. Once he gets more in game playing time, he'll be good. Just wait.

Now I've said this before, but I would like to see triple option with Siggers as the "FB" and Adaway as the "RB" and Bean at QB. If we could get his arm strength up, we could also see passing to Shorter and Darden. 

Dreaming is done

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, ASmallRecruit said:

Here's the reality...

...these kids go to summer camps.  Most of them.  And, so, coaches get free shots at seeing these kids.  Actually, it's better than free for the coaches because many of the camps cost $40 to $200 dollars per player. 

I've been to Baylor's five times over two summers with my son.  Their entire coaching staff is there with hundreds of players from around the state.  They see everyone there.  They drill them and they work them out against each other.

So, if a kid has only one high level offer - in this day and age of endless summer camps and online video clips - it says to me:  the high level coaches saw what he had and passed on him.

Can coaches be wrong?  Yes.  But, they are more often right...and, especially if they've worked their way up to coaching at this level.  They've seen thousands of players. They know pretty much "who is and who isn't" when they see them work out with and compete against one another in the raw, unpadded sweat pit of summer camps.

Well, maybe a kid is a "late bloomer!"  Yeah...maybe.  But, how many fan bases are going to hear a losing coach tell them to wait on his roster full of "late bloomers" for more than a year or two?  Arkansas?  Pssht!

(Also...the website 24/7 is useless.  It hands out 3-star ratings like candy at Halloween.  Ninety-three times of 100, the offers tell you what you need to know about a kid's true ability level.)

Couldn’t disagree more, at least in regards to QB’s.  They must see more than that to make a proper decision, and if they don’t they’re taking a huge risk.

Throwing at harmless targets in harmless situations while your in shorts (The Summer Camp World) is completely different than having to read a defense in seconds while checking down to find the open man all while a blitzing LB is trying to remove your head.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

On 11/6/2019 at 12:24 AM, Cerebus said:

We won't ever replace Fine just like we never replaced Booger. 

This offense doesn't have to throw 50 times a game, with the RB talent we have don't be surprised if the run/pass ratio is very different next year.

I agree with @BillySee58, what we need next year is a qb with the arm strength and accuracy to make defenses pay for cheating up to stop the run. 

Gosh, to me this sounds like they are moving even more toward a MacCarney/Canales style offense. This season was already a step in that direction. I hope you are wrong, because NT may have the RBs for that next season, but I have my doubts that it has enough push from the OL next season.

25 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Gosh, to me this sounds like they are moving even more toward a MacCarney/Canales style offense. This season was already a step in that direction. I hope you are wrong, because NT may have the RBs for that next season, but I have my doubts that it has enough push from the OL next season.

We won’t be running from under center, and we won’t be running out of 22 personnel, or 12 personnel (maybe on occasion), or 21 personnel. So even though we may call more runs, it won’t resemble those offenses.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ASmallRecruit said:

Here's the reality...

...these kids go to summer camps.  Most of them.  And, so, coaches get free shots at seeing these kids.  Actually, it's better than free for the coaches because many of the camps cost $40 to $200 dollars per player. 

I've been to Baylor's five times over two summers with my son.  Their entire coaching staff is there with hundreds of players from around the state.  They see everyone there.  They drill them and they work them out against each other.

So, if a kid has only one high level offer - in this day and age of endless summer camps and online video clips - it says to me:  the high level coaches saw what he had and passed on him.

Can coaches be wrong?  Yes.  But, they are more often right...and, especially if they've worked their way up to coaching at this level.  They've seen thousands of players.  They know pretty much "who is and who isn't" when they see them work out with and compete against one another in the raw, unpadded sweat pit of summer camps.

Yeah, pretty much. No matter what era, kids will always fall through the cracks and there will always be late bloomers. Which again goes back to a numbers game. There are more 3 stars drafted in the NFL every year than 5 stars and 4 stars because of the sheer number. About 30 or so 5 stars, about 250 or so 4 stars, hundreds of 3 stars. Odds are much lower that a three-star recruit will be drafted but there are so many more of them that a lot still do. Same with FCS/non-D1 Guys. They get drafted every year because there are so many of them. 

Studies have proven at a macro level it is a very predictable numbers game. At a micro level (each individual recruit) it is a crapshoot. Get good recruits and have the numbers in your favor. That’s the name of the game.

41 minutes ago, ASmallRecruit said:

Well, maybe a kid is a "late bloomer!"  Yeah...maybe.  But, how many fan bases are going to hear a losing coach tell them to wait on his roster full of "late bloomers" for more than a year or two?  Arkansas?  Pssht!

(Also...the website 24/7 is useless.  It hands out 3-star ratings like candy at Halloween.  Ninety-three times of 100, the offers tell you what you need to know about a kid's true ability level.)

They almost all hand out 3-Star ratings like candy. Exactly, you’re preaching to the choir on this one. Myself and others have been telling everyone to ignore ratings and focus on the offer lists for years. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/12/2019 at 4:55 PM, BillySee58 said:

Yeah, pretty much. No matter what era, kids will always fall through the cracks and there will always be late bloomers. Which again goes back to a numbers game. There are more 3 stars drafted in the NFL every year than 5 stars and 4 stars because of the sheer number. About 30 or so 5 stars, about 250 or so 4 stars, hundreds of 3 stars. Odds are much lower that a three-star recruit will be drafted but there are so many more of them that a lot still do. Same with FCS/non-D1 Guys. They get drafted every year because there are so many of them. 

Studies have proven at a macro level it is a very predictable numbers game. At a micro level (each individual recruit) it is a crapshoot. Get good recruits and have the numbers in your favor. That’s the name of the game.

They almost all hand out 3-Star ratings like candy. Exactly, you’re preaching to the choir on this one. Myself and others have been telling everyone to ignore ratings and focus on the offer lists for years. 

Problem with that is, that the rankings are already about who offers.  Most players and all that NT seems to have a chance at are 3 stars, so you have to look at the numeral ratings. 

Offers are far from foolproof also, some don't report all their offers; others report offers they never get. 

• Upvote 1