QB IN 2020

Mean Green D2

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

Take Fine off this team and how many wins do we have this year?  Football isn't basketball, one person can't carry an entire team, even at QB.  The last time I looked at the PFF Clean Pocket QB Ratings Fine was #1 in the nation.   In other words, when he isn't getting plowed into the ground 1.5 seconds after the snap he is the best QB in the country.  How in the world can you expect more than that?

I am serious about that question, take Fine off this years team and we win how many games?  Two all year?

l don't know how many, because SL hasn't give any of the backups actual game time, except for a series or two. More than a couple of series is what you must have in order to play at the most optimal level.  Yes, I know that the situation is pretty much the same for most other schools, but it always seems to me that SL is more interested in padding Fines stats rather than developing for the future.

So if you must have an answer then I would say that just about any of the backups would eventually work into an effective starting QB by the third game if they had been thrown in there from the beginning. 

Someone should have told Charlotte, and USM about the PFF Clean Pocket QB Ratings so that they could both swoon before his (and by extension SL's) statistical greatness. Not to mention La Tech, FAU (twice) Troy and Utah St. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I am serious about that question, take Fine off this years team and we win how many games?  Two all year?

Considering our 3 FBS wins are vs bad teams with a combined 7-18 record, we would probably have the same number of wins we have now....we wouldn't have the gaudy stats in those wins, but we would probably still have the wins. I may give you the MTSU game since it was close....but we didn't need 7 TD passes from Fine to beat that UTEP team. 

• Upvote 4

If our defense is not going to make a historical improvement for next season....then I think Bean could be our best bet. His running ability could keep the defense off the field. TOP could be helpful next season.

We have 2 threats now in the RPO....Fine throwing or handing it off. With Bean, we have a 3rd threat that can be very frustrating for opposing defenses. Plus his speed can neutralize a pass rush. 

I'm intrigued with our RBs returning combining with Bean. Could be lethal......

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have no idea. But I'm in the camp of putting the best available option on the field. Doesn't matter if it's in our current depth chart, transfer, grad student, JUCO, etc. It's irrelevant where the best option comes from to me. Find the absolute best option you think you can snag, and plug him in. Don't pull a Dan McCarney and think your QB room is "good enough." 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Dead on!  But of all the fan bases that’s seen just about every nightmare imaginable,... you would think this is the last one that would ever need reminded to beware of shiny things. 

North Texas 62  Navy 74

Rick

On the other side, we had the UNT-FIU 7 OT debacle that we won by a FG, like 26-23

• Upvote 1

On 11/5/2019 at 1:00 PM, GrandGreen said:

It is Bean's job to lose.   He is the epitome of a dual threat at QB. 

I really think the offense is going to be ok, the offensive line is the biggest issue.

I 'm afraid this year's ol is going to be missed.  It is not as bad as many apparently think and only two starters will return.

Unless, some potentially great QB is available, NT should stand pat. 

He weighs 150 pounds max? You think he can survive with our O-Line against an SEC defense?

• Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I think he weights more than that.  However, the same comments were made about Fine. 

Idk says 189 and they usually pat those numbers a good bit. And yes but that was fine as a regular freshman pocket passer, not RS freshman scrambler

• Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, TheNewEra said:

Idk says 189 and they usually pat those numbers a good bit. And yes but that was fine as a regular freshman pocket passer, not RS freshman scrambler

It is the height that is routinely overstated not the weight.  

If, the coaches didn't think he could play; he would not be second string. 

Don't know if he can stand up to a lot of play at QB, and I doubt you do either. 

• Upvote 1

Looks 6 foot 2 ish to me and like a bean pole. And dude there are plenty of terrible second string QB's in HS, NCAA, & NFL so that means nothing. And idk how good he is or if he has the resilience to hold up multiple seasons but to the eye test he looks very skinny. 

• Eye Roll 1

I partially agree with this. Jason Bean looks like a red-shirt freshmen who is finally starting get a little playing time. So yes he looked shaky and probably will continue to until he gets his feet under him. 

To be fair, he does not have the same skillset as MF. So IMO, as this program moves forward, barring a transfer, they are going to have to commit to one of these two guys. If the goal is to emulate MF and have a gunslinger type then they need to start playing AA a whole lot more.

Aune has the best arm on the team, period. Yes, he had made some plays in limited opportunities but i think he looks so good because we look at him through the lenses of MF. His style is most like Mason's, which is what we are use to, and he's had a little success. So when i see him play i may value him because he's the closest to what i have been use to seeing for the past 4 years. I'm not sure if that necessarily means he's the 2nd best QB on this team.

If they go with Bean then they have to actually commit to him as QB1 and structure the offensive around his strengths. Bean can be an efficient passer but he isn't going to be passing for 350 every game. That's not who he is. He is somewhere between Derik King and Jamar Smith. He needs to be a run first guy imo. Defenses should be scared of him taking off. This will open up the zone read, RPO, and deep pass as his run threat will freeze a lot of defenses.

The Bean Aune off season battle will be interesting 

Sorry if i went too deep for Saturday night.

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

57 minutes ago, agw0038 said:

I partially agree with this. Jason Bean looks like a red-shirt freshmen who is finally starting get a little playing time. So yes he looked shaky and probably will continue to until he gets his feet under him. 

To be fair, he does not have the same skillset as MF. So IMO, as this program moves forward, barring a transfer, they are going to have to commit to one of these two guys. If the goal is to emulate MF and have a gunslinger type then they need to start playing AA a whole lot more.

Aune has the best arm on the team, period. Yes, he had made some plays in limited opportunities but i think he looks so good because we look at him through the lenses of MF. His style is most like Mason's, which is what we are use to, and he's had a little success. So when i see him play i may value him because he's the closest to what i have been use to seeing for the past 4 years. I'm not sure if that necessarily means he's the 2nd best QB on this team.

If they go with Bean then they have to actually commit to him as QB1 and structure the offensive around his strengths. Bean can be an efficient passer but he isn't going to be passing for 350 every game. That's not who he is. He is somewhere between Derik King and Jamar Smith. He needs to be a run first guy imo. Defenses should be scared of him taking off. This will open up the zone read, RPO, and deep pass as his run threat will freeze a lot of defenses.

The Bean Aune off season battle will be interesting 

Sorry if i went too deep for Saturday night.

Go Mean Green!

I fully expected a Quinn Shanbour type game plan as soon as Bean stepped in. There was a bit of it,  but not as drastic as it should have been. I think you’re right. A Bean QB is a big shift in philosophy, which is okay, but the results needs to happen.  

10 hours ago, agw0038 said:

We can cater the offense to Bean all we want but we have so much young talent at the skill positions, if he’s turning the ball over and not getting the ball in their hands then we aren’t going to be getting the most out of our talent. Also, if he isn’t hitting passes downfield then even with the added element of the QB running game, the offense will still be containable. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1