QB IN 2020

Mean Green D2

With Siggers, Torrey, and Adaway at RB and Darden, Shorter, Simpson, Lyles, Kealon Jackson, and Loronzo Thompson at receiver I just want the best passer. So much skill talent, I just want the best guy at getting the ball in the hands of the playmakers. That’s why I lean more towards Aune. I’m starting to get behind Bean as well but I just don’t see above average accuracy or arm strength and I worry about turnovers. With all these playmakers if we can just keep the turnovers to a minimum they will take care of getting us plenty of yards and points.

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Why in the world would you move Bean to corner when he has zero experience at the position? 

Not really a deal breaker when they’re that young and coachable.  Plenty of evidence from down in FW to believe kids can be moved around to positions of need, where they had no prior experience.

I think Rick has a good point: keep coaching the other QBs up and, if one of them is getting the job done, it might be worth getting Bean on the field where he has more value.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

Personally, I haven’t seen a great arm from Bean.  He has so much value with skill sets that suit other positions.  And we have so much talent with our offensive skill positions, all we really need is a guy that can get the ball to them.  We’re not bleeding at QB for an improviser/playmaker.  Just a guy that can distribute the ball.

Having said that, Mason’s arm improved dramatically from year 1 to year 2.  Maybe Bean’s will also.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

With Siggers, Torrey, and Adaway at RB and Darden, Shorter, Simpson, Lyles, Kealon Jackson, and Loronzo Thompson at receiver I just want the best passer. So much skill talent, I just want the best guy at getting the ball in the hands of the playmakers. That’s why I lean more towards Aune. I’m starting to get behind Bean as well but I just don’t see above average accuracy or arm strength and I worry about turnovers. With all these playmakers if we can just keep the turnovers to a minimum they will take care of getting us plenty of yards and points.

I think if Bean does what he does, that may force opposing defenses to spy him, which may open up opportunities for guys in the slot like Darden, or RBs out in the flat.

Either way, we haven't really seen enough of Bean or Aune to really gauge how good either of them can be.   

I think with Aune being away from football as long as he was, it may take him a while to ease back into the game.  Maybe he's doing that now & could leapfrog Bean by the time next season starts.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I will respectfully disagree.  First, the "reported" fastest  player on the team is Jayaire Shorter.  Based on my eyeball test, I may question this, but that is what is reported.

Why in the world would you move Bean to corner when he has zero experience at the position?  We don't have talent at corner?  I would argue Gaddie, Morris, Johnson and Whitlock are head and shoulders better than anything Bean could be in the next 3 or 4 years and are talented DB's.  I would even throw Harvey in there this year and say that the scheme has not helped at all.  You can have all the top speed and athletic ability at DB you want, but when the QB is allowed to sit back and pick you apart it doesn't matter.  We need play makers on the DL and a gifted pass rusher at the Jack position to make this current scheme work.  Moving Bean to corner is ridiculous.

We have no idea if he could play DB or not.  That’s why I said IF he could,....then I’d move him.

Per my eyeball test I say he’s the quickest on the team,...especially from a start-stop stand point.

And moving him is no more rediculous than rolling out the same guys that keep getting torched every other week.

Its time to start worrying about defense FIRST!

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

We won't ever replace Fine just like we never replaced Booger. 

This offense doesn't have to throw 50 times a game, with the RB talent we have don't be surprised if the run/pass ratio is very different next year.

I agree with @BillySee58, what we need next year is a qb with the arm strength and accuracy to make defenses pay for cheating up to stop the run. 

16 hours ago, Cooley said:

It will be QB by committee unless someone with more experience transfers in. Bean is the best option because of his ability to run and pass. However, he is so skinny that he will not hold up after a few hits. 

It won't be QB by committee because we have enough talent on already on the roster to lead this team.

So skinny?  That’s what that said about Fine a couple of years ago. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

While I think the QB position is in fairly good shape for next year, who’s going to block for them?   We HAVE to bring in linemen for next year and beyond.  I do believe many of the youngsters will step up next year at the skill positions.  However, it won’t matter if your QB has no time and is running for his life or there are no running lanes open for the RBs. 

Edited by Mean Green Fan4Life
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Bean needs to be moved to corner so he can shut down one side of the field and start building this thing right like it should be.

If we don’t find us a damn defense it won’t matter who plays QB.

AMEN on the defense comment !!!!!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Cerebus said:

We won't ever replace Fine just like we never replaced Booger. 

This offense doesn't have to throw 50 times a game, with the RB talent we have don't be surprised if the run/pass ratio is very different next year.

I agree with @BillySee58, what we need next year is a qb with the arm strength and accuracy to make defenses pay for cheating up to stop the run. 

I think that Fine is a once-in-a-lifetime QB.......statistically.  I've always been ambivalent about him. Because for all of the numbers he has put up, and records he has set, the one that really counts for the casual observer of our program is WINS.....when it counts. Here is a reminder of what I am talking about.

VID HOOKSTEADSMOKE ROOM EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
January 12, 20182:15 PM ET

New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick had a mic drop moment during a Friday press conference.

Belichick told the media, “You know how I feel about stats. Stats are for losers. Final scores are for winners.”

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard this quote in some variation through my illustrious sports career. Honestly can’t be less than a thousand, but I never get tired of hearing somebody remind the world that the only number that matters is the one on the lefthand side of the win/loss column.

He’s also 100 percent right. Doesn’t matter if you score five touchdowns in a game yourself if the team doesn’t go anywhere. A true champion would rather not score a single point if it means winning than score 100 and lose. It’s that simple.

That mentality is what separates the winners and losers in this world. Losers look to get theirs every single day. Winners look to simply grind it out as a group, and be victorious. If you don’t understand the difference then you’re probably in the first group.

I like Mason Fine, and he has provided us with countless exciting moments whilst flinging the ball around for NT. But no conference championships and no wins in bowl games speaks louder to the casual observer (that we one day want to convert to a regular fan) than just about anything,. 

He has three games (and then another) in which to try and motivate his teammates and change his bottom line......and the bottom line for this program.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I think that Fine is a once-in-a-lifetime QB.......statistically.  I've always been ambivalent about him. Because for all of the numbers he has put up, and records he has set, the one that really counts for the casual observer of our program is WINS.....when it counts. Here is a reminder of what I am talking about.

I like Mason Fine, and he has provided us with countless exciting moments whilst flinging the ball around for NT. But no conference championships and no wins in bowl games speaks louder to the casual observer (that we one day want to convert to a regular fan) than just about anything,. 

He has three games (and then another) in which to try and motivate his teammates and change his bottom line......and the bottom line for this program.

Dead on!  But of all the fan bases that’s seen just about every nightmare imaginable,... you would think this is the last one that would ever need reminded to beware of shiny things. 

North Texas 62  Navy 74

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Dead on!  But of all the fan bases that’s seen just about every nightmare imaginable,... you would think this is the last one that would ever need reminded to beware of shiny things. 

North Texas 62  Navy 74

Rick

Geez. That game was ridiculous. It was like a bad video game. 

Edited by Felozano
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

North Texas 62  Navy 74

Rick

When North Texas scored with the opening possession, and then recovered the subsequent on-side kick and scored again, everyone in the stands around me was astounded at Todd Dodge's boldness. My reaction "oh shit!, Dodge knows there is no way our defense will ever stop Navy, so he sees our only hope as getting two scores up". 

It was a great plan but it was based on the belief/hope that Navy couldn't stop our offense either. Unfortunately for us they found a way and we didn't find a way to stop them.

Kind of like all those games in recent years where we put up gaudy numbers/scores on opponents in the first half.......and then they figure out how to stop us in the second half.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 11/6/2019 at 9:06 AM, SilverEagle said:

I think that Fine is a once-in-a-lifetime QB.......statistically.  I've always been ambivalent about him. Because for all of the numbers he has put up, and records he has set, the one that really counts for the casual observer of our program is WINS.....when it counts.

Take Fine off this team and how many wins do we have this year?  Football isn't basketball, one person can't carry an entire team, even at QB.  The last time I looked at the PFF Clean Pocket QB Ratings Fine was #1 in the nation.   In other words, when he isn't getting plowed into the ground 1.5 seconds after the snap he is the best QB in the country.  How in the world can you expect more than that?

I am serious about that question, take Fine off this years team and we win how many games?  Two all year?

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

Take Fine off this team and how many wins do we have this year?  Football isn't basketball, one person can't carry an entire team, even at QB.  The last time I looked at the PFF Clean Pocket QB Ratings Fine was #1 in the nation.   In other words, when he isn't getting plowed into the ground 1.5 seconds after the snap he is the best QB in the country.  How in the world can you expect more than that?

I am serious about that question, take Fine off this years team and we win how many games?  Two all year?

nab plus one GIF by LA Clippers