QB IN 2020

Mean Green D2

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I think we're set with Bean, Aune, and Renfro.

Hoped Kason martin would've done more, but the fact that we have 2-3 guys that could legitimately start next year is good. 

With McCarney we had 2-3 guys that we hoped would be able to start. With Littrell I'm much more confident

Don't forget Kuehne waiting in the wings as well.   Monumental battle this spring.

I still think Martin is in the hunt. I say this with no knowledge of anything. Yet I see him in the spirit huddle with all the new guys, he has his face painted up every week, he is into every play and just having really great energy. Add to that, his NM Bowl outing was the best of any of the other QBs... and he has the size to handle the beating of the poor OL.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1. Bean is very intriguing due to his athleticism and speed.  I haven't seen him throw much, but his arm looks adequate.

1a.  I think Aune is probably the most polished passer of this group and has great size.  I don't know about his speed, but I think he would be the closest replacement to Fine from a passing/arm comparison.

2.  Martin.  I have been surprised that he has seemed to slide down the depth chart this year after his showing in the NM  Bowl.  I am not sure what we have with him, but I love his enthusiasm.

3. Kuehne/Renfro:  I would guess Kuehne has been redshirted this year.  He put up good numbers in high school, but he will have to make a monumental leap over those listed above.

4.  Renfro: love what he brings to the table.  Stephenville has struggled some this year, so I am not sure what we have with him, but by all indications, he could be our QB of the future.  I hope they redshirt him next year.

• Upvote 4

Bean is the most athletic but I still feel his arm strength is lacking but of course he is still a RSF so a lot can change in a year

I wish we could see what Aune has to offer because I think he would be the best passer out of that group

I know people say if you have two Qb's you dont have any but I think they could easily put in a two QB system 

Im excited for Renfro to get here, I love that kids footwork and arm for a HS kid. I feel like he's going to be special 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

It is Bean's job to lose.   He is the epitome of a dual threat at QB. 

I really think the offense is going to be ok, the offensive line is the biggest issue.

I 'm afraid this year's ol is going to be missed.  It is not as bad as many apparently think and only two starters will return.

Unless, some potentially great QB is available, NT should stand pat. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

2 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Bean needs to be moved to corner so he can shut down one side of the field and start building this thing right like it should be.

If we don’t find us a damn defense it won’t matter who plays QB.

Rick

Rick, are you saying that there has been no building since Littrell arrived in December 2015?

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

These guys.....in this order.

1. https://meangreensports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4030

2, https://meangreensports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4029

3, https://meangreensports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4108

Unless Renfro is a taller version of Mason Fine, he will be redshirted. 

Good list.

The bad thing is that we have given these guys minimal in-game passing experience

Bean: 2018:0-2 in the bowl game  2019:10-19

Aune: 2019:1-1

Kuehne: 0-0

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Rick, are you saying that there has been no building since Littrell arrived in December 2015?

Four SLC teams held Abilene Christian to fewer points than we did.  And Stephen F. Austin held ACU to the same amount of points (31) that we did in double overtime(DII Tarleton State beat SFA for God’s sakes).  

We scored 38 points and still lost to lousy Charlotte, and I post that I want to see our fastest player moved to corner.  

What else other than about our defense could I possibly be referring to?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

Based on what I've read it sounds like it is neck and neck between Bean and Aune (pronounced Aune), with Bean having the slighter edge. The game seems to be transitioning towards more duel threat quarterbacks (Deshaun Watson, Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes), which I feel gives you so many options to work with. I was at the Chiefs - Texans game and the Texans absolutely picked the Chiefs defense apart because the Chiefs had no idea how to handle the Texans and all of their weapons. While I am cautiously optimistic that an improved O-Line will benefit a pocket passer like Aune, I think the job is Bean's to lose. 

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Four SLC teams held Abilene Christian to fewer points than we did.  And Stephen F. Austin held ACU to the same amount of points (31) that we did in double overtime(DII Tarleton State beat SFA for God’s sakes).  

We scored 38 points and still lost to lousy Charlotte, and I post that I want to see our fastest player moved to corner.  

Rick

The original post read a bit broader than the defense. Thank you for the clarification in reference to the defense, that makes total sense. 

In your opinion what would the addition of one of the fastest player on the team change on the defense? For the record, the fastest player on the team is a WR, but is not 84. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Well Reffett will be gone after this season, we have quality assistants, and the last two classes(2019 and 2020) are absolutely loaded.

I think we'll be better off than you think. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

Just now, UNT Mean Green said:

The original post read a bit broader than the defense. Thank you for the clarification in reference to the defense, that makes total sense. 

In your opinion what would the addition of one of the fastest player on the team change on the defense? For the record, the fastest player on the team is a WR, but is not 84. 

Since Bussey may not be back next year and is currently no playing the fastest on the team is Bean for now.

And it’s just a wishful thinking on my part him moving to corner.  But we have lots of talent at QB.  We don’t at corner.  So if he could play corner I’d move him there because someone with his speed and athletic ability at DB changes the dynamics of a defense.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Since Bussey may not be back next year and is currently no playing the fastest on the team is Bean for now.

And it’s just a wishful thinking on my part him moving to corner.  But we have lots of talent at QB.  We don’t at corner.  So if he could play corner I’d move him there because someone with his speed and athletic ability at DB changes the dynamics of a defense.

Rick

I will respectfully disagree.  First, the "reported" fastest  player on the team is Jayaire Shorter.  Based on my eyeball test, I may question this, but that is what is reported.

Why in the world would you move Bean to corner when he has zero experience at the position?  We don't have talent at corner?  I would argue Gaddie, Morris, Johnson and Whitlock are head and shoulders better than anything Bean could be in the next 3 or 4 years and are talented DB's.  I would even throw Harvey in there this year and say that the scheme has not helped at all.  You can have all the top speed and athletic ability at DB you want, but when the QB is allowed to sit back and pick you apart it doesn't matter.  We need play makers on the DL and a gifted pass rusher at the Jack position to make this current scheme work.  Moving Bean to corner is ridiculous.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2