I will say this....crowd size...

trud1966

19 hours ago, trud1966 said:

I'm long winded, so bear with me.

We all want the same thing...To see this program climb the ladder...Wins, Big Crowds, Bowl Games (and Bowl Game wins...) Conference Championships, Recruiting, Facilities, and the like...And we do tend to get spoiled that all of it doesnt happen at once...So instead of one giant ladder, it's a series of different ladders, that all of them get climbed at different rates.  But overall, I was pleasantly surprised and impressed with the crowd Saturday.    Was it a sellout? Not even close...Have we had larger crowds?  Most certainly...

But my point is this...Anyone who has been around this program, for 20-30 years, can attest to the fact,  that you put this game in a time machine to the past, where if we came into a game, Homecoming even, at 3-5, with as many recent losses as we've had, there's no way there wouldve been that many people, (including students!)  I was seriously expecting to see a dismal crowd.

And to be fair, it didnt hurt that it was beautiful weather, but still....

To me, that's a good "Ladder Rung" we just climbed...  Program/year isnt exactly where it could be, but it's still noticable that people are behind this thing. 

Well done Wren and Company.. 

I was there with UTEP family, friends, and Jayhawk girlfriend. We got there early and was disappointed at the initial turnout at the tailgate as I thought people were genuinely staying away given the way the season was going but then the crowd kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Needless to say, I walked away very proud of our school that day. Turnout was great, the tailgate was even better. Also props to UTEP fans. They had a very size-able crowd also. All in all, great time.  

• Upvote 4

Some of the other old timers may want to weigh in on this but when I was a student in the early 70's, Fouts usually looked  pretty full.  Granted, the capacity was only 20,000 but we had good crowds for the most part.  The college had an enrollment of about 16,000 and there were only around 35,000 living in Denton County. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 11.24.09 AM.png

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Eagle71 said:

Homecoming crowd for 1968 --------- 18,500

The NTSU Alumni Association was celebrating its 2nd year with an increase of membership from 1,218 to 3,533 out of the 43,000 NTSU exes.

Oh, just by chance, on Saturday I ended up sitting next to a classmate that I had not seen since the spring of 1969!  What are the odds!   That's what homecoming is all about!

Homecoming 19680001.jpg

I don't know how knowledgeable the average NT student/local Dentonite was about football at that time, but that game was an awesome match up between two great QB's Steve Ramsey and Greg Cook (the future rookie of the year in the NFL).  North Texas ended up with a 8-2 record that season and their two losses were to (as usual) Memphis and a 1988-Texas-like loss to Arkansas (15-17). That team was a great candidate for a bowl game.  

So the attendance was 18.5. The seating capacity of Fouts was 20K at that time.

At the time of the game, the student population at North Texas was about 12-15K. The population of Denton in 1970 was 39,874, and the D/FW alumni population was 43K? And membership was 3.5K?

As of our homecoming game this weekend our student population is about 39K, the population of Denton is over 120K, and estimates of NT graduates in the D/FW area are anywhere between 150K to 200K. I don't know how many members are in the Alumni association.

Culture-wise and promotions-wise, we seem to be going backward.

As always, I choose culture as the main culprit. Hayden Fry saw that as the main issue back in 1973 when he arrived and (IMHO) it still is.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Is it time to just call it on the tail section of Apogee? I like it because it’s unique, but it’s never been filled and I wonder how much better attendance would be if Apogee has never built it to begin with or just got rid of it altogether? 

What?? More people would come to the game if we tore down the cheapest seats?  Are you saying people are staying home because we have funny looking endzone seating?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Eagle71 said:

Homecoming crowd for 1968 --------- 18,500

The NTSU Alumni Association was celebrating its 2nd year with an increase of membership from 1,218 to 3,533 out of the 43,000 NTSU exes.

Oh, just by chance, on Saturday I ended up sitting next to a classmate that I had not seen since the spring of 1969!  What are the odds!   That's what homecoming is all about!

Homecoming 19680001.jpg

Nothing says "Texas, 1968" like playing a homecoming football game in a lightning storm. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Some of the other old timers may want to weigh in on this but when I was a student in the early 70's, Fouts usually looked  pretty full.  Granted, the capacity was only 20,000 but we had good crowds for the most part.  The college had an enrollment of about 16,000 and there were only around 35,000 living in Denton County. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 11.24.09 AM.png

I certainly DON'T miss those awful sight lines.    Thank God we have Apogee !

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

What?? More people would come to the game if we tore down the cheapest seats?  Are you saying people are staying home because we have funny looking endzone seating?

I’ve never seen that section full my friend, so I encourage anyone to come up with reasons as to why that section is consistently empty. To be clear I like it, it’s unique...but people on this board are apparently the only ones that would by tickets there 😂🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4