Looking way too far in the future...

Moobs

Since UTEP has only scored more points against Houston Baptist this year, I have a very real question. 

If Reffett stays for next year, does Texas A&M hang 100 on us?

I really hope he’s not here next year, but he hasn’t been fired yet so I’m starting to lose hope. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 6
  • Downvote 2

If Reffet leaves, will his replacement be able to field a competent defense the second game of the season?  His replacement installs a typical 4-3 it may take a few games for the players to get used to the new scheme after being in Ref's system.  I kinda see it as damned if you do damned if you don't in regard to the a&m game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I also noticed quit a few younger players getting time on defense yesterday including Gibbs, Adaway, Woods, Nixon III, etc...  We still need help up front to replace Hamilton, but it was good to see these guys contribute and get some experience. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Moobs said:

If Reffett stays for next year

If we make a bowl game there's no way Littrell or Wren get rid of Reffertt. 

I get the feeling the #NewDenton-ites are more comfortable with 6 win seasons with bowl game eligibility than they are of shaking the boat with Coordinator changes.  Powers at be will chalk it up to not scaring away recruits and existing relationships with HS Coaches that Coordinator X built.

• Eye Roll 3

55 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

If we make a bowl game there's no way Littrell or Wren get rid of Reffertt. 

Well, when we get blown out during yet another bowl game, maybe they finally see the big issue here on defense? Can't ignore how poorly that unit has done every bowl, conference champ, big games, and just about the entirety of this year.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Reff will not be here next year.

He will be gone, but the talent level is just abysmal on that side of the ball. Maybe a new scheme and a new leader of the defense would help, but unless you have size and speed on the front line(s), not much will change against teams with talent. Again, for about the 4th year in a row under SL, it’s pretty simple—if the other team has any talent whatsoever, we usually lose. If they don’t, we win. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1