Get to Ruston

UNT 90 Grad

debating on going to this one. i have never driven to louisiana before. looks like shreveport is only an hour from ruston. may go and grab a hotel in shreveport, and then head to ruston to watch the mean green. only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is our Defense... but one more time getting to see fine play ( ill be out of town thanksgiving weekend) is tempting

• Upvote 2

Hey guys..please make the trip to the RSN.  A couple years ago we hung out with some classy UNT fans at our tailgate. 

Yeah Ruston is small college town but has some decent food: Besides Dawghouse, I highly recommend Utility Brewing downtown. Excellent beer & wood fired pizzas, actually very Fam friendly. Also Downtown, Ponchatoulas Cajun & SundownTavern. Safe travels & we look forward to an awesome game. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

Flying Burger & Seafood, Beauvines steakhouse, Bristers & Log Cabin bbq are decent but nothing spectacular. 

*There is Free shuttle that runs continuously throughout the game day from Railroad Park (Downtown RSN) to the stadium. Also numerous paid lots close to stadium, there’s a couple on left side on Alabama St across from stadium. Hope that helps. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Stadium is communicating on Facebook that kick time has been pushed back one hour.  Is this legit?   Are they just broadcasting with an hour delay?   Both meangreensports.com and LA Tech’s Athletics sites still show a 3pm kick.  Any word?

I think they promoting it with Eastern Time 

• Thanks 1

It was a lot of fun two years ago. Shreveport is a nice stop on the way back. I live in Tyler, so it's just about as easy to get to Ruston as 

it is to drive to Denton, geographically speaking. Coach Littrell came over to the fan section after the 2017 game and the thrilling victory. (And it was a great victory--very exciting game). 

Wish we had some kind of organized tailgate, though.  I will be with my teen-aged son and his friends who will roam around the stadium instead of watching the game with me. I try to find my people at the stadium though. 

2 hours ago, greensleeves said:

It was a lot of fun two years ago. Shreveport is a nice stop on the way back. I live in Tyler, so it's just about as easy to get to Ruston as 

it is to drive to Denton, geographically speaking. Coach Littrell came over to the fan section after the 2017 game and the thrilling victory. (And it was a great victory--very exciting game). 

Wish we had some kind of organized tailgate, though.  I will be with my teen-aged son and his friends who will roam around the stadium instead of watching the game with me. I try to find my people at the stadium though. 

The Mean Green Club put together a tailgate in Ruston several years ago when it was still #olddenton.  Not sure how organized it was.  As I recall, they had a cooler of beer and a tray of Chic-Fil-A nuggets in the rain outside of a Dallas Cowboys themed shuttle van.  I found out later that same van was used to transport the MGRN home, but broke down on the way back to Denton.

Picked up my tickets at Apogee today.  Section K, row 5.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

The Mean Green Club put together a tailgate in Ruston several years ago when it was still #olddenton.  Not sure how organized it was.  As I recall, they had a cooler of beer and a tray of Chic-Fil-A nuggets in the rain outside of a Dallas Cowboys themed shuttle van.  I found out later that same van was used to transport the MGRN home, but broke down on the way back to Denton.

Picked up my tickets at Apogee today.  Section K, row 5.

See you there!

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/3/2019 at 10:09 AM, jtm0097 said:

For any of you guys making the trip, take a detour on your way back and go to Joseph’s Riverport BBQ in Jefferson, Texas. It’s about 15 miles north of I-20, and a great hidden gem. The owner is a friend and he went to UNT. They are a regular on the Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ places.

Took @jtm0097's advice on this.  Arrived about 1pm to every table taken and a line of almost 10 in front of us.  They still had Brisket, Ribs, and Hot Links... Were already out of turkey and jalapeno sausage.  I ordered a three meat plate with all the remaining meats.  Was an awesome BBQ joint.  They ran out of all proteins before 2pm and put up "We're all out sign" an hour before the 3p close.

Lady and I walked around the downtown and looked at all the "Antiques" (junk) shops.  I was really pleasantly surprised about Jefferson.  Much bigger small town than expected. Really interesting history too.  Would be a great slow place to disappear from DFW to for a off-season weekend.

Ignore the bite of rib I already took prior to the pic 😁:

20191110_133921.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 11/3/2019 at 9:34 PM, NoBoDawg said:

Hey guys..please make the trip to the RSN.  A couple years ago we hung out with some classy UNT fans at our tailgate. 

Yeah Ruston is small college town but has some decent food: Besides Dawghouse, I highly recommend Utility Brewing downtown. Excellent beer & wood fired pizzas, actually very Fam friendly. Also Downtown, Ponchatoulas Cajun & SundownTavern. Safe travels & we look forward to an awesome game. 

I took your advice on Ponchatoulas.  The stuffed catfish was fantastic.  Friendly people.  We took advantage of the free shuttle too, which was walking distance from the restaurant.  Thanks for the advice!

9 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Took @jtm0097's advice on this.  Arrived about 1pm to every table taken and a line of almost 10 in front of us.  They still had Brisket, Ribs, and Hot Links... Were already out of turkey and jalapeno sausage.  I ordered a three meat plate with all the remaining meats.  Was an awesome BBQ joint.  They ran out of all proteins before 2pm and put up "We're all out sign" an hour before the 3p close.

Lady and I walked around the downtown and looked at all the "Antiques" (junk) shops.  I was really pleasantly surprised about Jefferson.  Much bigger small town than expected. Really interesting history too.  Would be a great slow place to disappear from DFW to for a off-season weekend.

Ignore the bite of rib I already took prior to the pic 😁:

20191110_133921.jpg

Awesome man. Yeah I am biased because I grew up going there, but it's my favorite spot. Jefferson is a cool town but I don't miss living there lol. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

• Eye Roll 1