Oklahoma Christian (11/5/19)

CMJ

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Is this what we can expect from Bell?

I wasn’t really thinking he was going to be a guy we’d lean on, but he’s killing it off the bench.

I think so. Dude was a big-time sleeper up until the end of his JUCO career. Had he done what he was doing earlier in his JUCO career and for a more prominent JUCO there’s a good chance he would’ve had legit high major interest, if not High major offers.

• Upvote 3

Quality contributions across the board.  If I had to complain about something I’d say 55% at the free throw line continues an issue that left a lot of points on the floor in previous yrs. I can’t ever understand a free throw percentage that bad.  Proud of how they pulled away after a clunky start and they looked like they had fun.  Hope they are gelling with the new faces. Good to have b-ball back!

11120CA8-A0EF-4BCA-9E62-5DD32858382D.jpeg

• Upvote 1

This is why you play teams like this.  I doubt NT would beat a lot of D1 teams with this kind of performance.

It is early and a nearly meaningless game but I saw a lot of issues.

Other than Bell, who is going to be a player, the newcomers didn't do much.     Hamlet and Reese didn't score much, but didn't have to.  

What I didn't see is any help for the Simmons in the paint.   Alcindor didn't play and Mohammed only played 7 minutes.  Geu wants playing time, I doubt he gets it. 

Draper and Gibson looked solid. 

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Quality contributions across the board.  If I had to complain about something I’d say 55% at the free throw line continues an issue that left a lot of points on the floor in previous yrs. I can’t ever understand a free throw percentage that bad.  Proud of how they pulled away after a clunky start and they looked like they had fun.  Hope they are gelling with the new faces. Good to have b-ball back!

11120CA8-A0EF-4BCA-9E62-5DD32858382D.jpeg

We shot 10/13 or 76%. From foul line. You were seeing 3 point shots and I take 50% any day. 

51 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

This is why you play teams like this.  I doubt NT would beat a lot of D1 teams with this kind of performance.

It is early and a nearly meaningless game but I saw a lot of issues.

Other than Bell, who is going to be a player, the newcomers didn't do much.     Hamlet and Reese didn't score much, but didn't have to.  

What I didn't see is any help for the Simmons in the paint.   Alcindor didn't play and Mohammed only played 7 minutes.  Geu wants playing time, I doubt he gets it. 

Draper and Gibson looked solid. 

I mean it was their 1st game together. A lot of new faces on this team. Luckily this was that getting the rust off game, but the silly turnovers really killed me. OCU had 22 though 

Also announced crowd of 2,800 something. Not bad for a dreary Tuesday night against a D2 team! 
On to #25 VCU!

• Upvote 1

Offense is a mess right now. Passing up way too many decent and good lucks for the perfect shot which they aren’t getting. Getting more turnovers doing that than better looks. Spacing was also really bad, and not enough off-ball movement. 

We’re probably gonna get drilled by VCU but at the least we need to get something going offensively. I’m sure we’ll be a good defensive team again, just need to be more assertive and looking to shoot offensively.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Offense is a mess right now. Passing up way too many decent and good lucks for the perfect shot which they aren’t getting. Getting more turnovers doing that than better looks. Spacing was also really bad, and not enough off-ball movement. 

We’re probably gonna get drilled by VCU but at the least we need to get something going offensively. I’m sure we’ll be a good defensive team again, just need to be more assertive and looking to shoot offensively.

I agree. I doubt we beat VCU if this was any representation of our current play. Hard to figure out what we were trying to accomplish on offense most of the game. There did seem to be frequent substitutions, which you'd expect in a game like this, but that also hinders getting into any offensive rhythm.  Did you see Mohamed drill that 3? Nice looking shot.  It's been a while since we've had a "big" (6'7") that can make a 3; hopefully, there is more to come. 

Edited by chrisfisher
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

one player I missed last night was Duffy,  the guy was great on defense and made turnovers.  I think Jackson could be that guy for this team.   I have never seen so many traveling calls in my life in a game.

They’ve been calling traveling a lot more in the NBA this year as well. My guess is that’s why we saw it more/will see it more.

• Lovely Take 1

I think the shocker for me was Bell came on so strong.  Kid can play.   I was expecting al little more from the other new guys.  Geu only getting 2 boards is concerning and Mohammed isn't going to help much underneath as he is lean.  It's just one game but the concerning thing for me is that we don't appear to have added a quality big guy that can work the glass and sub out good minutes for Zach so he isn't playing all game.  You need that against Bassey and the good bigs on the schedule...

Actually stopped in Edmond this weekend on my way back home from Homecoming to eat at the last Whataburger en route as a last hoorah. Oklahoma Christian is a small but pretty campus. Not much to do there but they are right outside of Norman and OKC which I'm sure has more to do than Edmond. 

• Upvote 1

I was at the game last night. Overall we are much taller as a team then last year. I am worried about quality bugs behind Simmons. Bell looks the part. I was hoping Gou (spl?) would be more of a rebounder but he was on the perimeter a lot. The true freshman Jackson can flat out play and wise looked solid for a guard and is tall (6-5). Hamlet didn’t look great but got more comfortable throughout the game. They were using him in a Woodridge type role. Reese can shoot as well but was a bit off last night. I’ll chock that up to rust. This team to me can be a top 4 team in CUSA. Not sure how we will fair vs VCU and Ark the next two games! Excited for the OU game in early dec! Great crowd last night for a d2 school.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1

15 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I mean it was their 1st game together. A lot of new faces on this team. Luckily this was that getting the rust off game, but the silly turnovers really killed me. OCU had 22 though 

Also announced crowd of 2,800 something. Not bad for a dreary Tuesday night against a D2 team! 
On to #25 VCU!

Crowd was good.

NT could have obviously dominated even more, a lot of ill-advised threes and turnovers that can be corrected.

Look for team to struggle a little in tough oc schedule.   This type schedule should prepare them a lot better than last year's. 

Geu was unimpressive, but this is only one game and he did average nearly double figures last year.  Failure to play Mohammed and Alcindor more, I hope is due to injuries or lack of practice time and not that they are not going to be good enough.

I would have liked to see more offense out of Hamlet and Reese.  It may just take time for them to get more acclimated to the team and pace of the D1 game.   

Simmons, Simmons, Gibson and Draper looked really to have a good year. Jackson and Wise look promising.  

Hope Smart is back soon, he could be the key to elevating this team. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Watching the KU game but following our score too. How do we look? Seems spotty, like we go on a run then they creep back up but hard to tell just based on the score 

LOL at all of you clowns down-voting me for watching the KU game. 

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Crowd was good.

NT could have obviously dominated even more, a lot of ill-advised threes and turnovers that can be corrected.

Look for team to struggle a little in tough oc schedule.   This type schedule should prepare them a lot better than last year's. 

Geu was unimpressive, but this is only one game and he did average nearly double figures last year.  Failure to play Mohammed and Alcindor more, I hope is due to injuries or lack of practice time and not that they are not going to be good enough.

I would have liked to see more offense out of Hamlet and Reese.  It may just take time for them to get more acclimated to the team and pace of the D1 game.   

Simmons, Simmons, Gibson and Draper looked really to have a good year. Jackson and Wise look promising.  

Hope Smart is back soon, he could be the key to elevating this team. 

I would think Coach Mac redshirts Alcindor. 

Yes we will struggle in OOC, but in the long run it should be very helpful. I would be satisfied with 5-6 close losses or hard faught losses

• Thanks 1