DRC: Reffett sees issues across the board for UNT's defense

Brett Vito

If only someone were getting appropriately compensated to fix it.... 

You know, if we could pay someone good money to, say, coordinate all aspects of our defense, like, "across the board", we might really innovate at the collegiate football level. 

Just make a position on the staff, call it something like Coordinator of Defense. 

Until somebody comes up with a way to do that, I guess we're just stuck being terrible at defense. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

UNT has largely abandoned the pressure concepts that made its defense effective last season as a result. The Mean Green’s staff doesn’t believe it has the players to make those schemes effective.

family matters what GIF

So get them the reps to make them effective! UGH.

The defensive scheme changes this year have been lethal and just all-around baffling.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

UNT has largely abandoned the pressure concepts that made its defense effective last season as a result. The Mean Green’s staff doesn’t believe it has the players to make those schemes effective.

family matters what GIF

Holy crap I had to go back and read again because I couldn't believe it was real.

Reffett is a joke. Great when he has all conference players at every level, but he can't figure it out otherwise?

Insane.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Absolutely amazing. No accountability from these coaches at all. 

"We lost two really good players up front, two really good linebackers and two really good players in the back. There is a little bit of a deficiency everywhere. The question is how do you overcome that."

You adjust! You quit trying to fit a square peg in a round hole! You quit trying to implement a scheme that you don't have the personnel for! Teams lose all-conference players all of the time with no noticeable drop-off because they scheme for the players they have. Charlotte made second half adjustments and they won because of it. Son of a bitch, as if I didn't want this clown gone enough as it is. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

As someone mentioned in "The Stand" video, you notice how the DL's are lined up ready to attack.  I am so tired of watching our 3 DL's in a 2 point stance being slow off the ball.  We get zero pressure on any QB's we play and they sit back and just pick us apart.  Our DB's can't be expected to cover forever.  I know there is a combination of things hurting our defense, but the sit back and react scheme is killing us.  I want to see us get after their ass.

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Did this actually read, Reffett gave up the pressure defense after the Cal game?   They haven't matched that defensive effort since.  

That’s a damning statement.  Wonder if that was a directive of Littrell.  

I mean, we were getting torched pretty bad over the top or up the seams VS SMU & CAL, but now, you’ve opened another can of worms in just allowing the opposing offenses to take what you’re giving underneath... which, those nickel-&-dime plays kill us just as bad, just not as quickly.

Frustrating for sure.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

That’s a damning statement.  Wonder if that was a directive of Littrell.  

I mean, we were getting torched pretty bad over the top or up the seams VS SMU & CAL, but now, you’ve opened another can of worms in just allowing the opposing offenses to take what you’re giving underneath... which, those nickel-&-dime plays kill us just as bad, just not as quickly.

Frustrating for sure.

The only problem in this game was out DB's not looking back for the ball thus getting called for PI.  Coach them to look back and that fixes 75% of the problems.

• Thanks 1

Just now, UNTLifer said:

The only problem in this game was out DB's not looking back for the ball thus getting called for PI.  Coach them to look back and that fixes 75% of the problems.

And again, I HIGHLY DOUBT Jennings & Reff aren't coaching the CB's to do that.  Reff & Jennings both have been around WAY too long for that.
But when you're not very good, and a WR beats you, you do whatever you can to prevent the catch...

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

so did Reffett not see there would be issues in Spring Ball and Summer Practices? Why is he shocked now 8 games into the season. The man needs to go or recruit better, this is on him. Stop making excuses and blaming the players when fundamentally this defense is lacking in tackling, reading the play, and looking for the ball. Teachable techniques that the coaches should be emphasizing week in and week out. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Yeah, that worked real well against LaTech, ODU......and especially against Utah St.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And again, I HIGHLY DOUBT Jennings & Reff aren't coaching the CB's to do that.  Reff & Jennings both have been around WAY too long for that.
But when you're not very good, and a WR beats you, you do whatever you can to prevent the catch...

Except most of the time they are in position, but they don't look for the ball.