remember this from past

southsideguy

14 hours ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

On the last play of the STAND, Our big DT Abby was knocked down from his blind side by a Rice lineman then the lineman lays on Abby to pin Abby down.  

The refs did not call a penalty on the holding! Did not matter because the play was 4th down.

It isn’t ‘holding’ when a blocker pins an opponent down.

That’s a ‘syrup block’, as in putting the syrup on the pancake...

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

On the last play of the STAND, Our big DT Abby was knocked down from his blind side by a Rice lineman then the lineman lays on Abby to pin Abby down.  

The refs did not call a penalty on the holding! Did not matter because the play was 4th down.

I remember commenting the the guy next to me at the game, how could the refs not call that. I was told that it isn't actually holding to lay down on top of someone. That as long as you don't use your hands, it's a continuation of a block. The guy was a former player and knew far more than I about obscure rules. I was told usually an offensive lineman wouldn't do it as once someone fell down the lineman should shift to cover someone else. But Abby was a player that the lineman probable felt wa enough of a threat to just keep him out of the play no matter what.

8 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

I remember commenting the the guy next to me at the game, how could the refs not call that. I was told that it isn't actually holding to lay down on top of someone. That as long as you don't use your hands, it's a continuation of a block. The guy was a former player and knew far more than I about obscure rules. I was told usually an offensive lineman wouldn't do it as once someone fell down the lineman should shift to cover someone else. But Abby was a player that the lineman probable felt wa enough of a threat to just keep him out of the play no matter what.

I didn’t see how it wasn’t a block in the back since Abbe was laying on his stomach. 

I always thought it was amusing that Abbe was laying there on his belly kicking his feet like he was at a photo shoot or something.

Other than talent, the biggest difference I see in the 2013 defense vs what we play now is on the D-line. Look at the aggressive stances. Look at their first move after the snap. They are moving toward the line of scrimmage from the snap. They are attacking. Our line now is in a very neutral, almost relaxed, stance and their first move is to stand straight up. Seems like a terrible waste of 3-4 bodies on an 11 person unit. Wasting about a third of your man power by just standing around and looking. This needs to change and fast.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

we held our own for the 1st half against UGA. We should've went 11-1 that year though

This.

We blew it against Ohio, Tulane and UTSA that year because of our offensive strategy being too conservative.

And if we had gone 11-1,  DMac would’ve been hired away instead of being fired away just a year and a half later.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, ADLER said:

It was exactly 6 years ago today: October 31, 2013

That is such greatness. I remember that this game was a national FS1 broadcast. Afterwards, their version of Sportscenter showed this highlight and I thought that was so cool to be the top highlight on their national show. 

It is so funny to think that under Dickey, we had a solid defense usually, but it was with a drab gameplay offensively. Dodge comes in and we can move the ball and score, but our defense was a sieve for his entirety here. Then, DMac goes back to DickeyBall and we run out a bus driver game plan almost every game. Now, we get SL and it’s the Dodge Days all over again, but without all the embarrassing losses.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/29/2019 at 10:09 PM, Charlie NT 73 said:

That was the same officiating crew that intentionally threw the Tulane game. There was no chance in Hades that they were going to make any call against Rice. I guarantee you that they would have thrown another pass interference flag if the Rice quarterback had thrown that ball anywhere near the end zone.

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

That is such greatness. I remember that this game was a national FS1 broadcast. Afterwards, their version of Sportscenter showed this highlight and I thought that was so cool to be the top highlight on their national show. 

It is so funny to think that under Dickey, we had a solid defense usually, but it was with a drab gameplay offensively. Dodge comes in and we can move the ball and score, but our defense was a sieve for his entirety here. Then, DMac goes back to DickeyBall and we run out a bus driver game plan almost every game. Now, we get SL and it’s the Dodge Days all over again, but without all the embarrassing losses.

As embarrassing? No. Still embarrassing? Absolutely. 

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

As embarrassing? No. Still embarrassing? Absolutely. 

True--we got embarrassed by almost everyone but Western Kentucky during Dodge's tenure. Whether it was brutal blowouts or self-guided sabotage to lose close game after close game, it was unbelievable to see how excruciating the 37 losses were in the Dodge tenure.

SL's losses are embarrassing because if the team we are playing has almost any talent at all, we get jack-hammered into the ground. But if they don't, we typically win comfortably or we steal a win at the end.

In the end, nothing compares to the embarrassment of losing by 59 points at home to a FCS school on your Homecoming.

Its fun to be a UNT fan, isn't it??

• Haha 1

Just now, untjim1995 said:

True--we got embarrassed by almost everyone but Western Kentucky during Dodge's tenure. Whether it was brutal blowouts or self-guided sabotage to lose close game after close game, it was unbelievable to see how excruciating the 37 losses were in the Dodge tenure.

SL's losses are embarrassing because if the team we are playing has almost any talent at all, we get jack-hammered into the ground. But if they don't, we typically win comfortably or we steal a win at the end.

In the end, nothing compares to the embarrassment of losing by 59 points at home to a FCS school on your Homecoming.

Its fun to be a UNT fan, isn't it??

The FCS Fiasco was what it was. An under-talented team performing below their expected low expectations to the point of it culminating into that game. No team is ever as good as they appear, or as bad as they appear. And that held serve in that scenario. 

Being a UNT fan is unique. It's hard to describe. But that could be a 25 page thread topic on this forum. "What's it like being a UNT fan to you"