NCAA Rules Athletes Allowed to Benefit From Likeness

Cerebus

FootballScoop: NCAA announces it is moving forward to allow college athletes name, image and likeness rights

• Make clear the distinction between collegiate and professional opportunities. 
  • Make clear that compensation for athletics performance or participation is impermissible. 

The key phrase from all of this is the final sentence from the first paragraph: “in a manner consistent with the collegiate model.”

My read on that is players will not be allowed to take a salary from their school simply for playing football, but that’s just one man’s read. As always, the devil lives in the details.

6 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Welp...see ya' later, NCAA Sports as we have known them...

You should have mimeographed this message off to all your friends as soon NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma, 468 U.S. 85 (1984) was handed down. 

Once that much big money was injected into the system, the old system of college football was dead. 

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

This changes everything.

Maybe

We have zero details what is going to be permitted and probably won't have any details until April at the earliest.

If there are arm's length transactions, there won't be much money though maybe EA brings their NCAA game back.

Remember the bribery scandal was shoe companies paying assistants to land star players so those stars would wear their shoes. Presumably, Nike and Adidas, etc., can now go sign those kids when they finish their senior season of high school.

If we don't have arm's length transactions then Bob's Used Cars of Tuscaloosa can give Joe Fourstar $100,000 for an ad contract if he signs with Bama.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Presumably, Nike and Adidas, etc., can now go sign those kids when they finish their senior season of high school.

If we don't have arm's length transactions then Bob's Used Cars of Tuscaloosa can give Joe Fourstar $100,000 for an ad contract if he signs with Bama.

This is EXACTLY the scenario I see coming....Not really sure how you police it.

Put limits on what they can make? That won't fly...

If I'm Bob's Used Cars of Tuscaloosa, I'm setting aside an "advertising budget"

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

You should have mimeographed this message off to all your friends as soon NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma, 468 U.S. 85 (1984) was handed down. 

Once that much big money was injected into the system, the old system of college football was dead. 

It took a decade for the technology to change enough to get the money up there (ie. cable tv channels being accepted outlets). But since then the money has gotten stupid.

Saban is making $11.5 million per year and just look at how many AVERAGE P5 coaches are making 50% of what he makes without delivering results 50% as good.

Ray Perkins was hired away from the NFL for $100,000 per year plus extras to replace Bryant. Adjusted for inflation, $388,000 today. Coaching salaries have way out-paced inflation because of the TV money

• Upvote 2

Let the bidding wars begin. Schools with the wealthiest supporters will reap the largest benefits. This will cause an ever wider split between the haves and the "others". Fully expect to see college football split into "Super Conferences" after this. 

Also, expect lawsuits claiming Title 9 discrimination as the vast majority of the payments go to male athletes. 

• Upvote 2

I don't have time to type up the sources right now, but some more details have emerged from various channels.

• Implementation deadline is Jan 2021
  • Each division will form a working group to come up necessary rule changes.
  • Each division will draw up its own rules, which means FBS/FCS will have the same rules.
  • Would not follow "California model" of unrestricted freedom.
  • NCAA would likely have "role" in all endorsement deals.
  • NCAA states they would strongly prefer a uniform national law

Interesting corollary: Mark Walker (R-NC) has drawn up a federal bill to that would force the NCAA to give up the ability to govern student athlete image rights, or have the NCAA lose tax status. 

Asking because I honestly don't know, but wouldn't this benefit us in relation to others in our conference such as for recruitment? We have middle to upper athletic spending budgets in our conference that is continually rising so say a school like Southern Miss offers a kid 10% of whatever their likeness brings in, we counter with 15% and bring the commit to our school. Obviously we would be screwed trying to compete with the budgets of P5 schools but I am just trying to gauge what this truly means for us. 

In reality, this will be the best thing to happen to the world of college football. The Power Schools don't need to be guided by the same rules that we are. And the G5s shouldn't be bankrupting themselves to try and compete with schools with much larger fanbases, TV contracts, stadiums, and media. 

I want our guys to have the opportunity to compete for a national championship in football. Right now, they don't--and that's not fair to the players, coaches, or the fans.

26 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Asking because I honestly don't know, but wouldn't this benefit us in relation to others in our conference such as for recruitment? We have middle to upper athletic spending budgets in our conference that is continually rising so say a school like Southern Miss offers a kid 10% of whatever their likeness brings in, we counter with 15% and bring the commit to our school. Obviously we would be screwed trying to compete with the budgets of P5 schools but I am just trying to gauge what this truly means for us. 

I hear what you're saying...but I don't think this has anything to do with a school's budget...

This is between an athlete and some outside entity. Hypothetically, Duck Dynasty could pay a 5* athlete lots of money to use his likeness right? And ULaMonroe has one of the lowest budgets in the country.

• Upvote 2

Just now, TheColonyEagle said:

I hear what you're saying...but I don't think this has anything to do with a school's budget...

This is between an athlete and some outside entity. Hypothetically, Duck Dynasty could pay a 5* athlete lots of money to use his likeness right? And ULaMonroe has one of the lowest budgets in the country.

Ah, got it. I misunderstood the situation. So theoretically, the market a school in matters, correct?