Things to Consider

UNTLifer

Coaching Staff lost since last year: Harrell, Koonz, Filani, Brown, Choice, JD Baker (QC)

Replaced with: Reeder, Scott, Mayes, Jennings, Cobbs, Mangino and Petrelli

My Take: Reeder is growing in to the position and hasn't been as terrible as some think considering what was lost and has been lost on the offensive side of the ball this year.  I think Koonz is a very big loss and possibly Brown along with Baker who was usually working with GH and the QBs.  I hated to lose Choice, but I think Cobbs has done a great job in his place.  Mayes is a tough judge because our one returning TE has been injured all year.  I think the jury is still out on Jennings and Scott.  Don't know enough about Mangino and Petrelli's contributions.

Players graduated or lost due to injury:

Siggers for a couple of games, Torrey currently out, Bussey Jr. for the year, Guyton, Murray, Mayfield, Jordan Roberts, Brewer, Chumley, N. Brooks, K Hall, R Young, U. Tauaalo, Ejiya,  and B. Garner.  B. English never panned out due to injury and now their is the potential that our best young WR (Shorter) is out for an extended period of time.  Darden has been fabulous and Lawrence his usual steady self, but our defense is missing leadership and fire.

We lost a lot of leadership, had a huge turnover in our coaching staff and have lost a lot of production due to injury this year.  

We were probably rated too high, our expectations were elevated and now reality is setting in.  Should we have lost to Charlotte?  Absolutely not, and how we respond this week will tell me how SL is doing as the head coach.  I believe the players respect and like playing for him, and that, along with Fine's leadership, will see us ready to go Saturday.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 4

Nate Brooks, Kemon Hall, Rod Young, Ulasi Tauaalo, and EJ Ejiya were all big defensive losses. 

Brooks, Hall, and Ejiya are the 3 we haven’t come close to replacing and probably a large part of the defense falling apart. Harvey and Johnson just can’t cover man on man like Hall and Brooks could. I’m not sure who took over for Ejiya but I know whoever it is doesn’t have the same combo of size, strength, and speed that he had.

• Upvote 1

Should we have lost to Charlotte?  Absolutely not, and how we respond this week will tell me how SL is doing as the head coach.

I refuse to let hapless UTEP be the barometer for how well this team's leadership can perform. UTEP loses to everything, and even armadillos have a better record on the road.

With two weeks to prepare for La Tech, including a scrimmage toying with UTEP, that will be the game that shows how our leadership faces a challenge.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/29/2019 at 11:11 AM, Cr1028 said:

Nate Brooks, Kemon Hall, Rod Young, Ulasi Tauaalo, and EJ Ejiya were all big defensive losses. 

Brooks, Hall, and Ejiya are the 3 we haven’t come close to replacing and probably a large part of the defense falling apart. Harvey and Johnson just can’t cover man on man like Hall and Brooks could. I’m not sure who took over for Ejiya but I know whoever it is doesn’t have the same combo of size, strength, and speed that he had.

Ejiya and Garner won us at least 3 games. Brooks and Hall were very solid and won us a few also. 

I just want 1 of them back!

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Even with those great players on defense.....North Texas still blew it against La Tech, UAB, and a damn trucking company. This team is just blowing it at a consistent level now. UTEP game AND the Rice game have me worried...they have to win eventually, I just hope that our trend of making crap teams look like world beaters doesn’t continue with them. 

GMG  

• Upvote 2

On 10/30/2019 at 9:47 PM, Salsa_Verde said:

Even with those great players on defense.....North Texas still blew it against La Tech, UAB, and a damn trucking company. This team is just blowing it at a consistent level now. UTEP game AND the Rice game have me worried...they have to win eventually, I just hope that our trend of making crap teams look like world beaters doesn’t continue with them. 

GMG  

Things have gone downhill ever since that La Tech loss to me.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Things have gone downhill ever since that La Tech loss to me.

You beat the entire team by yourself?  Incredible. 

On 10/30/2019 at 10:05 AM, Aldo said:

But it deserves, like, a G6, like a G6

I don't know whether to respect you a little more, or a little less, for this.

On 10/30/2019 at 10:01 AM, untbowler said:

$1.8 million a/yr  does not deserve excuses at the G5 level

I agree.  However, I don't think it's a binary choice between Fire / Not Fire.