We Made Sports Center’s SVP Bad Beats.

FirefightnRick

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

2:31 mark.

face palm GIF

Rick

Not a surprise. This defense is nationally and historically bad so it was a matter of time before the national media took notice. And not in a good way. What an embarrassment this season turned out to be 

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Call me if someone has developed a time machine and we've been transported to the day Sept. 27th, 2008 and we're in Houston.

I hate to tell you, but that wasn’t our low point... don’t let that time machine take you to October of 2015 or you might jump off a tall building...

• Upvote 3

Just now, untjim1995 said:

I hate to tell you, but that wasn’t our low point... don’t let that time machine take you to October of 2015 or you might jump off a tall building...

Coach was on his way out regardless. The result of that game just made it easier to pull the trigger that day. 🤷‍♂️

Just now, UNTFan23 said:

Coach was on his way out regardless. The result of that game just made it easier to pull the trigger that day. 🤷‍♂️

Please tell me you don’t think Rice beating us in Houston 77-20 was worse than losing at home to FCS Portland State on homecoming 66-7 where our team literally quit on us in front on our fans...that Rice game was awful, but they were a bowl team and our team was TRYING. That is sad to believe, but we tried that day. We didn’t even try at home against PSU on Homecoming. That’s a whole other level of crapitude. We will never see a FBS team lose to a lower division team like that ever again...

• Upvote 2

Just now, untjim1995 said:

Please tell me you don’t think Rice beating us in Houston 77-20 was worse than losing at home to FCS Portland State on homecoming 66-7 where our team literally quit on us in front on our fans...that Rice game was awful, but they were a bowl team and our team was TRYING. That is sad to believe, but we tried that day. We didn’t even try at home against PSU on Homecoming. That’s a whole other level of crapitude. We will never see a FBS team lose to a lower division team like that ever again...

Team quit on coach, not the fans. If the team had totally quit, we'd have finished winless in that season. Portland was the lowest point in McCarney era, but IMO not the lowest point in the program. In my eyes, that is in the Dodge era in its entirety.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

Team quit on coach, not the fans. If the team had totally quit, we'd have finished winless in that season. Portland was the lowest point in McCarney era, but IMO not the lowest point in the program. In my eyes, that is in the Dodge era in its entirety.

Dodge era was bad as far as losses, but TD was handicapped from the start by RV, his last year he was close in many games, but once again defense was horrible, seems to be a trend post DD Bowl Games

2 minutes ago, untbowler said:

Dodge era was bad as far as losses, but TD was handicapped from the start by RV, his last year he was close in many games, but once again defense was horrible, seems to be a trend post DD Bowl Games

And RV was handicapped by Bataille who didn't want the FB coach making more money than she did. RV should have never allowed Dodge to bring his assistant HS coaches into the coordinator roles either.

• Upvote 4

Just now, UNTFan23 said:

And RV was handicapped by Bataille who didn't want the FB coach making more money than she did. RV should have never allowed Dodge to bring his assistant HS coaches into the coordinator roles either.

yup, many of us thought the initial hire was great, I mean TD was HS legend, but then typical Admin Ego ruined it from the start. 

TD at least never dogged the university on his way out the door. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I saw that halftime score on my phone and showed my son and said "Sportsline has really screwed that one up" and sent the screen shot to Harry thinking it was just a screw-up because it was so random and Portland had generally been bad. Heck they've been bad since. They won 9 that year and 11 since. Bizarre but hats off to everyone who stuck

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Good people can disagree, but I just can't imagine a time where we were at a lower point as a FBS (Division 1-A) program than that loss that day on Homecoming. I mean it got the coach fired immediately, got many players leaving here eventually in the months ahead, the President finding our new coach, and getting rid of the albatross known as RV.

I will agree with you that I thought Rice being ahead 77-20 in the 3rd quarter against us and just trying to run out the clock so as to not show us up any further was the low point before Portland State. Rice could have scored 100 points that day EASY. To me, a low point is one you bounce back up from and never see again for a long time or ever again. Unbelievably, that Rice loss got beat by PSU for worst loss ever. That was amazing in itself that it could have been surpassed and at a level that will never get seen ever again, IMO.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Good people can disagree, but I just can't imagine a time where we were at a lower point as a FBS (Division 1-A) program than that loss that day on Homecoming. I mean it got the coach fired immediately, got many players leaving here eventually in the months ahead, the President finding our new coach, and getting rid of the albatross known as RV.

I will agree with you that I thought Rice being ahead 77-20 in the 3rd quarter against us and just trying to run out the clock so as to not show us up any further was the low point before Portland State. Rice could have scored 100 points that day EASY. To me, a low point is one you bounce back up from and never see again for a long time or ever again. Unbelievably, that Rice loss got beat by PSU for worst loss ever. That was amazing in itself that it could have been surpassed and at a level that will never get seen ever again, IMO.

That rice fiasco was a direct result of Dodge and RV pulling a surprise drug test on the entire football team.  Something no other AD and coach would be stupid enough to do right before a game, if ever.   

A bad team with that hanging over their heads, made even worse and Rice could have easily scored a 100.

The Portland St. game was the aftermath of the team learning that Mac had been fired effective after the game.   I was frankly surprised they took his termination so hard.

These two games are easily the two worst games I have ever seen NT play.  I am sure there were exceptions, but for the most part; the players just quit.   These two games are perfect examples of the effect of outside emotional components can have on a game. 

Rice was a better team probably by 4 tds, and Portland State should have been easily beat.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

That rice fiasco was a direct result of Dodge and RV pulling a surprise drug test on the entire football team.  Something no other AD and coach would be stupid enough to do right before a game, if ever.   

A bad team with that hanging over their heads, made even worse and Rice could have easily scored a 100.

The Portland St. game was the aftermath of the team learning that Mac had been fired effective after the game.   I was frankly surprised they took his termination so hard.

These two games are easily the two worst games I have ever seen NT play.  I am sure there were exceptions, but for the most part; the players just quit.   These two games are perfect examples of the effect of outside emotional components can have on a game. 

Rice was a better team probably by 4 tds, and Portland State should have been easily beat.   

That Rice team was pretty good. I remember they went to the NO Bowl that year. They won like 8 or 9 games.

I think that we were just thankful that Western Kentucky existed as a FBS program in the SBC back then. That year, we beat them to keep from going 0-12. And I believe that WKU went 0-12, instead.

Again, it’s all very similar to what happened in 2015. We miraculously beat UTSA at home that year when they were down to their 5th string QB in the second half and we scored a late TD to win or we go 0-12. Unfortunately, nobody was worse than us that year, but it got us retrenched with SL and eventually Wren Baker as our AD.

But I think your assessment is right in about Rice being waayyyyy better than us back then while PSU was not and we clearly just quit. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1