The New DC

TheReal_jayD

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Just no to any coach with ties to Texas Tech's defense.  Is there anyone on TCU's staff that is young and talented and ready to move up?

How about Blake Seiler, former DC at K-State and current ILB coach at West Virginia?

If Gibbs wants to come to North Texas I don't think you say no.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Just no to any coach with ties to Texas Tech's defense.  Is there anyone on TCU's staff that is young and talented and ready to move up?

How about Blake Seiler, former DC at K-State and current ILB coach at West Virginia?

You can’t dismiss a coach simply because of the offensive system they were stuck with. The North Texas defense on a Todd Dodge coached team was on the field much longer in real time as compared to the defenses on a McCarney or especially Dickey coached team. These passing offenses cause your own defense to be on the field for many more plays. Look at defensive genius Gary Patterson after he brought on Meacham and Cumbie, the ppg he gave up went up quite a bit 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Don't we run a version of this offense?

Exactly, even folks like Chavis and Saban start to do worse when an offensive system like that is installed by their own OC. More stopped clock = more plays = more points. What we need is turnovers and that is something that Gibbs, Skladany, Patterson, etc can produce. All you need is one more point than the other guys.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reffett makes 250K a year so I think you have to pay more than that. It would be nice if we could find a DC with ties to North Texas and loves the school. Kind of like PC is for our RBs. PC loves this school and his RBs do very well despite the subpar offensive line. I believe PC pours his heart and soul into coaching the guys to be the best. Thirdly, he needs to be able to recruit talent. No matter what scheme you run, if they are not talented, then you can only get so far. Fourth since I don't think fourthly is a word (but it could be), he needs to be able to make adjustments quickly. Who is that person? Hell, I have no idea, but it certainly is not Ref.

• Upvote 3

I want some to put the Mean back in Green on the D-side of the ball.   I want a coach that will teach tackling techniques not this bump tackling our guys try so much.  We have been very poor at tackling this year.  

Like I pointed out earlier we need a coach who knows how to recruit at this level.  

BTW I heard Ark made a request to join CUSA but was turned down because we have so many poor playing teams in CUSA.  WK kick them in the butt yesterday.  How long do you think their hc will be around?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Venson said:

Reffett makes 250K a year so I think you have to pay more than that. It would be nice if we could find a DC with ties to North Texas and loves the school. Kind of like PC is for our RBs. PC loves this school and his RBs do very well despite the subpar offensive line. I believe PC pours his heart and soul into coaching the guys to be the best. Thirdly, he needs to be able to recruit talent. No matter what scheme you run, if they are not talented, then you can only get so far. Fourth since I don't think fourthly is a word (but it could be), he needs to be able to make adjustments quickly. Who is that person? Hell, I have no idea, but it certainly is not Ref.

A poster on here was flaunting potentially paying the new DC in the ballpark of 500k. Not sure if there is truth to that, but if it is true UNT will have no issue getting a qualified badass DC in here. 

• Upvote 2