Brady Hoke Current DL Coach San Diego

Ruffin Mcneil Current LB Oklahoma Has Experience with Coach Yellock 

Gene Chizik Retired

DC with no head coaching experience

David Gibbs Safety Coach at Mizzou Has Experience with Clay Jennings

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

The guy who gave up 50+ a game at Tech?

I'm sure he's well respected, but his defenses were swiss cheese

Gibbs comes to Mizzou after spending the last four seasons as defensive coordinator (2015-18) at Texas Tech, where his defenses became known as one of the top turnover-creating units in the country.  In 2017, Tech led the Big 12 Conference and ranked sixth nationally with 29 forced turnovers on the year, including four defensive scores, which was the most by a Texas Tech defense since 2001.

Read more here.....

https://mutigers.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/david-gibbs/1380

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Lovely Take 1

Just now, TheReal_jayD said:

My Personal Wishlist

Guys with HC experience

Brady Hoke Current DL Coach San Diego

Ruffin Mcneil Current LB Oklahoma

Gene Chizik Retired

DC with no head coaching experience

David Gibbs Safety Coach at Mizzou

Gibbs comes to Mizzou after spending the last four seasons as defensive coordinator (2015-18) at Texas Tech, where his defenses became known as one of the top turnover-creating units in the country.  In 2017, Tech led the Big 12 Conference and ranked sixth nationally with 29 forced turnovers on the year, including four defensive scores, which was the most by a Texas Tech defense since 2001.

Read more here.....

https://mutigers.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/david-gibbs/1380

Idk. Turnovers don't matter to me if you're still giving up a buttload of points.

25 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Pay for DC is rumored to be moving north of what Jay Hopson makes a year.

So $600k give or take? That would open up our options significantly. I'm assuming Seth to P5 talk slows down this season. But who knows

I just hope it's someone that can adjust when they don't have all conference players at every position.

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I just hope it's someone that can adjust when they don't have all conference players at every position.

I completely agree. I want a coach that realizes at the G5 level you need to go get the best player available. Not just guys that "fit in your scheme" I feel like we pass over a lot of talent that goes on to start and play at better school defensive for this reason or that.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

That sounds wildly irresponsible, but cool I guess 

I think if you want to move up to play with the big boys you have to pay like the big boys. CUSA is not the end game for this athletic department or the board of regents. UNT want to dominate in every sport so they can move up when time comes. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

So $600k give or take? That would open up our options significantly. I'm assuming Seth to P5 talk slows down this season. But who knows

If this is what our next DC is pulling (which is close to several salaries for FBS HCs) we damn well not be on the job training this fool. You pay that in CUSA, best be having a top notch defense. 

I think it may be more wise to funnel more money into the recruiting budget so we can wash that excuse away. Better that than doubling every coaching staffs salary in CUSA then STILL get people pointing to recruiting as a legitimate excuse as if it's not a part of the staffs job. 

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

If this is what our next DC is pulling (which is close to several salaries for FBS HCs) we damn well not be on the job training this fool. You pay that in CUSA, best be having a top notch defense. 

I think it may be more wise to funnel more money into the recruiting budget so we can wash that excuse away. Better that than doubling every coaching staffs salary in CUSA then STILL get people pointing to recruiting as a legitimate excuse as if it's not a part of the staffs job. 

Honestly....paying our next DC that much doesn't even make sense.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I think if you want to move up to play with the big boys you have to pay like the big boys. CUSA is not the end game for this athletic department or the board of regents. UNT want to dominate in every sport so they can move up when time comes. 

I think a lot of our worst hires over the years have been when we narrow our search to fit some predetermined criteria. Dodge saying if you can coach you can coach at any level and not doing due diligence to bring in a legit D1 D coordinator. Us making sure our next HC had HC experience at all costs and ending up with an old coach who was out of touch with modern day recruiting in Mccarney. Heck, even with Littrell (who has been good) we were dead set on getting the brightest offensive mind we could find and him not being a great recruiter has cost us with some lackluster classes creating an average group of upperclassmen by CUSA standards, in our record-breaking QBs senior season.

Just saying that paying the most money and being a big boy is how you become a big boy is not necessarily the way to go. We need the right man for the job in 2020 and on, not necessarily the most qualified person who commands the most money. Having a big budget is nice, but it can be detrimental if we use it to narrow the search. Use it to broaden the search and don’t count out guys who are cheaper just because you can afford more. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

What are the chances Littrell hires a certain analyst away from Alabama? He's not doing much, needs no on the job training, and should be able to recruit a higher level of defensive talent. Remember, Seth and Wren like Oklahoma connections. And, he was the defensive coordinator on Littrell's 2000 National Title team. Seems like a perfect fit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Stoops

• Upvote 3

What do you want, what do you need, and what are you willing to pay ? With our budget[actually I don't have a clue what our D.C. makes]I would think that our options are a young coach on the way up or an older coach sliding down a bit. I don't see us stealing a successful, experienced DC from a successful 1A program but I certainly have been wrong in the past.

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I think a lot of our worst hires over the years have been when we narrow our search to fit some predetermined criteria. Dodge saying if you can coach you can coach at any level and not doing due diligence to bring in a legit D1 D coordinator. Us making sure our next HC had HC experience at all costs and ending up with an old coach who was out of touch with modern day recruiting in Mccarney. Heck, even with Littrell (who has been good) we were dead set on getting the brightest offensive mind we could find and him not being a great recruiter has cost us with some lackluster classes creating an average group of upperclassmen by CUSA standards, in our record-breaking QBs senior season.

Just saying that paying the most money and being a big boy is how you become a big boy is not necessarily the way to go. We need the right man for the job in 2020 and on, not necessarily the most qualified person who commands the most money. Having a big budget is nice, but it can be detrimental if we use it to narrow the search. Use it to broaden the search and don’t count out guys who are cheaper just because you can afford more. 

I think the Bodie Reeder hire proves that Seth and AD department aren't going to cookie cut the choice. I just put my wish list down and their potential budget. I would like to see some one with head coaching experience just to tell seth not to go for 2 in the first quarter. I think we have missed that veteran presence on staff.

8 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I would like to see some one with head coaching experience just to tell seth not to go for 2 in the first quarter. I think we have missed that veteran presence on staff.

I don’t think any DC steps up and tries to override a coach on those type of offensive decisions. But the experience could come into play more throughout the week than being Seth’s decision-making consultant on Saturdays.