Freshman when?

Wag Tag

If Shorter can’t go, I’d like to see Khatib Lyles these last four games. I’d also really like to see Jevin Murray out in pass coverage. I’m sure he’d look like a freshman in some regards, but he definitely has the coverage skills to add something of value to our secondary.

I don’t think we’ll see any linemen or any linebackers who we haven’t already seen.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

If Shorter can’t go, I’d like to see Khatib Lyles these last four games. I’d also really like to see Jevin Murray out in pass coverage. I’m sure he’d look like a freshman in some regards, but he definitely has the coverage skills to add something of value to our secondary.

I don’t think we’ll see any linemen or any linebackers who we haven’t already seen.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gabriel & Grayson out there, but not in place of KD/Tyreke because they still need the snaps themselves.

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Gabriel & Grayson out there, but not in place of KD/Tyreke because they still need the snaps themselves.

Gabriel has actually already played in 5 games this year. Grayson is at 3. So Gabriel’s is already burned and it looks like they’re trying to preserve Grayson’s, in which case he can only participate in one more game.

Surprisingly the most favorable true freshman linebacker this season has been Kevin Wood.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Gabriel has actually already played in 5 games this year. Grayson is at 3. So Gabriel’s is already burned and it looks like they’re trying to preserve Grayson’s, in which case he can only participate in one more game.

Surprisingly the most favorable true freshman linebacker this season has been Kevin Wood.

Whoa!   I've not noticed them out there... ST's?  Or, are they actually lining up at LB?

Wood has looked every bit a true Freshman out there when he's lined up at LB... but I can see he has the tools.  He's got a great motor/effort, he's just a tad late in recognizing the play.  Another offseason of strength/nutrition and learning will really help him.
I thought Nixon has looked pretty good at LB lately (I know he's a RSFr, just continuing the LB conversation).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

I doubt we'll see any major playing time changes unless we fall out of bowl eligibility.  I think SL knows the optics on that would be terrible. 

11 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I doubt we'll see any major playing time changes unless we fall out of bowl eligibility.  I think SL knows the optics on that would be terrible. 

I’m not suggesting any major playing time changes. If Shorter is out, playing Khatib Lyles while still preserving his redshirt would not be a bad look. They just rolled out Austin Ogunmakin two games ago. Your other outside options are a sophomore (White), RS freshman (Ogunmakin), and another true freshman (Simpson). And it would just be him mixing into the rotation, and in some cases 2 of those 4 I mentioned being on the field at the same time.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Whoa!   I've not noticed them out there... ST's?  Or, are they actually lining up at LB?

Wood has looked every bit a true Freshman out there when he's lined up at LB... but I can see he has the tools.  He's got a great motor/effort, he's just a tad late in recognizing the play.  Another offseason of strength/nutrition and learning will really help him.
I thought Nixon has looked pretty good at LB lately (I know he's a RSFr, just continuing the LB conversation).

Jacobs was pretty highly regarded coming out of HS.  I am surprised I haven't seen much of him, then again, taking snaps away from KD and Tyreke isn't helping them either.