This is not Reffett's fault

Coach Andy Mac

7 minutes ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

He does not have any play makers on this squad.  He is not responsible for recruiting them either.  The recruiting is what is the problem not Coach Reff.

If you fire Coach Reff he will end up being a star somewhere else so please don't do it @Wren.

Those D Linemen up front stances are bad ....I mean lazy bad.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

He does not have any play makers on this squad.  He is not responsible for recruiting them either.  The recruiting is what is the problem not Coach Reff.

If you fire Coach Reff he will end up being a star somewhere else so please don't do it @Wren.

So I guess we need to fire the coach that's responsible for recruiting?

• Upvote 2

I’m all on-board with any recruiting perspective, but I think we have issues beyond our Jimmies and Joe’s.  Sometimes it’s just time for some new blood. It can give these guys a fresh outlook and focus.

Sumlin just fired his DC yesterday, after 3 straight weekends of allowing 45 points. I actually think if you’re going to make a change mid-season, this could be a good time for us. Get the new blood a chance to prep for La Tech and show us what he can do.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

This might be the dumbest thread I've seen on here in a while. The head of the defense is not responsible for the recruitment, mismanagement, and ill-preparedness of the defense? Save yourself the embarrassment and delete this thread.

I think what Andy is saying is, getting rid of Ref is not necessarily going to get rid of the problem.

having said that, I think it’s still time to move on and try someone else.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

I think what Andy is saying is, getting rid of Ref is not necessarily going to get rid of the problem.

having said that, I think it’s still time to move on and try someone else.

Fair enough. And I agree with your assessment above my comment and gave you the up-vote. I have seen quite a few times this season where a head coach gets rid of an under-performing coordinator and they see a resurgence on that side of the ball with new blood and new ideas. While that is not a guarantee with these current players, now is the time to try something new and prepare for next season. What we currently have hasn't worked for years.

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I really like Ref, too, and the 3-3-5. It’s fun to see guys flying around and throwing all the possibilities of blitzes at the opposing QB. But we’ve seen enough to know how rough the ride is when you cant find some reasonable talent at nose tackle.

Novil is doing GREAT at nose tackle.  He's recorded numerous TFLs, which is impressive considering he's usually double teamed.  Dion's not the problem.  It's the scheme.  If you don't have a backfield that can run it you get burned bad, which is what we saw in 2017 and is what we are seeing this year.

• Upvote 4

Just now, peanuts104 said:

Novil is doing GREAT at nose tackle.  He's recorded numerous TFLs, which is impressive considering he's usually double teamed.  Dion's not the problem.  It's the scheme.  If you don't have a backfield that can run it you get burned bad, which is what we saw in 2017 and is what we are seeing this year.

It might be interesting to dig up Refs coaching history, isolate the successful seasons and see the stats associated with the NT position. It could give us an idea of what is expected from Novil if we want the defense to succeed.

• Upvote 2

Also it's absolutely absurd to say that Reffett isn't responsible for the horrible tackling technique. They're using their arms, not their bodies. It's like they're afraid of contact. It is obvious the defensive coaching is the culprit here and we had some outstanding players in the backfield that really bailed us out last year and if they got their hands on a poorly thrown pass, they would get the INT.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

Unless something has changed recently, coaches recruit by territory.   You may be the running backs coach, but you'll try to recruit anyone in your area, regardless of that recruit's position.

Now the actual position coaches will often have say into whether or not a recruit is worth the offer, the coordinators will have more, but the final decision to offer that scholarship or not is up to the HC.

Coordinators have a lot of input into the process because all the coaches are recruiting to their scheme. 

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I guess Central Arkansas, McNeese State, Incarnate Word and Lamar are all outrecruiting us since they all held Abilene Christian to fewer points than we did?

father roof GIF

Rick

I’ve never seen a gif that more perfectly sums up being a UNT fan than this one...only thing missing is being surrounded by fellow UNT alumni in P5 t-shirts or ones that are cheering wildly for our struggles because they hate football.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

I really like Ref, too, and the 3-3-5. It’s fun to see guys flying around and throwing all the possibilities of blitzes at the opposing QB. But we’ve seen enough to know how rough the ride is when you cant find some reasonable talent at nose tackle.

The 3-3-5 is basically saying the DBs aren’t good enough so they have to put another LB to help in coverage. It works for good teams with good DCs unlike here.

Ref needs to be gone. He has a big part in this seasons failure

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

What drives me crazy is watching Hambone trying to attack out of a terrible two point stance.

That’s the least of my concerns. The main one is when the DBs don’t turn their head when the balls in the air. Yes I know it’s been said before a lot

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

That’s the least of my concerns. The main one is when the DBs don’t turn their head when the balls in the air. Yes I know it’s been said before a lot

And we're positive this is being coached into them?   Or are the players just blowing it?

Coach Jennings: "Hey, when you're covering someone, just make sure your eyes are looking at their chest the whole way... then when you see their arms go up to attempt a catch, flail your arms around wildly and run through the receiver."
Coach Reffett: "Yeah, if I see anyone turn their heads to look for the ball and attempt to make a play, I'm benching you."

That makes no sense.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

The 3-3-5 is basically saying the DBs aren’t good enough so they have to put another LB to help in coverage. It works for good teams with good DCs unlike here.

Ref needs to be gone. He has a big part in this seasons failure

So, inversely, is the 4-3 saying 3 linemen isn’t good enough? I’m not sure that’s how this topic should be framed.

The 3-3-5 is a variation of the nickel package, IIRC.  Created in part to match up better with the offensive variety you see in the college and HS games.  I think Urlacher was a big part of validation for this scheme, when Franchione/UNM gave his position it’s own name, the Lobo.  You don’t really see it in the NFL because the speed from front to back at every part of the field neutralizes a lot of things for you.  The same reason you don’t see a pure-Air Raid or true wishbone at that level.

Ref has also had a hand in successful defensive outputs.  Let’s not paint the guy like he has no idea what he’s doing.

This is really a mixed pot of Several things, including chemistry and recruiting.  however you look at it, it’s time for a change.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2