The signs have been there, we should have seen it coming

p_phelps

As for "should've seen the signs all along".....just how bad was our schedule last season? 

(Quick math) The average W/L record of the FBS teams we beat last year was 3.75-8.25. So for our wins, the team we beat was on average, an under 4 win team last year. The only team we beat that had a winning record was USM (6-5) at home. Now...we can't do anything about our schedule and you play the team in front of you...I get that. However....

Since beating USM last season, Littrell (one of the top 10 highest paid coaches in G5) is 5-7 vs G5 competition. 

Yes he won 9 games last season but with that schedule he should've won more...

12 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Pay top dollar, expect top product. Pretty simple. 

Except we are not top dollar. Coaches get hired and fired in a market that includes all of the NCAA, promotions from HS, and guys wanting a break from the NFL.

We exist in this Difficult middle ground where we want the best possible coach out there, but we aren’t in the best position to get it every time.

there are a million coaches out there that would love to give us a chance.  But - for most of them - we are taking some kind of chance on them too.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

As for "should've seen the signs all along".....just how bad was our schedule last season? 

(Quick math) The average W/L record of the FBS teams we beat last year was 3.75-8.25. So for our wins, the team we beat was on average, an under 4 win team last year. The only team we beat that had a winning record was USM (6-5) at home. Now...we can't do anything about our schedule and you play the team in front of you...I get that. However....

Since beating USM last season, Littrell (one of the top 10 highest paid coaches in G5) is 5-7 vs G5 competition. 

Thank you! As some of you might recall, I confessed that I may have jinxed the team last year when I told Tony at the first tailgating event that if we beat both SMU and Arkansas we should go 12-0. Tony looked at me (and for good reason) like I had just said "hail Satan". 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I said this last year--that schedule was the easiest one I have ever seen us play in 29 years of following North Texas football. We had an OOC of Lamar, SMU, @ Arkansas, and @ Liberty. Then, you add in CUSA West, which had the three Texas teams that were just putrid, especially UTEP and Rice, and Old Dominion. Only FAU, La Tech, UAB, and USM were teams we thought would be really tough to beat going into last year, along with Arkansas. In the end, if you could play physically, like LT, UAB, and ODU did against us on both sides of the ball, we folded like a cheap tent.

This year, I felt like the SMU game would tell us a lot about who we would be, but in retrospect, it was the UH game that was really the one to tell us all what we needed to know. We got punked hard by both, but UH made us look like we are truly inferior to most G5 teams right now. They lose their QB and top WR the week before, come up here with all of this chaos for a road game at a packed Apogee, and just maul us all night long in a game where we were never really competitive on the scoreboard and saw our QB get the $hit beat out of him all night. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I said this last year--that schedule was the easiest one I have ever seen us play in 29 years of following North Texas football. We had an OOC of Lamar, SMU, @ Arkansas, and @ Liberty. Then, you add in CUSA West, which had the three Texas teams that were just putrid, especially UTEP and Rice, and Old Dominion. Only FAU, La Tech, UAB, and USM were teams we thought would be really tough to beat going into last year, along with Arkansas. In the end, if you could play physically, like LT, UAB, and ODU did against us on both sides of the ball, we folded like a cheap tent.

This year, I felt like the SMU game would tell us a lot about who we would be, but in retrospect, it was the UH game that was really the one to tell us all what we needed to know. We got punked hard by both, but UH made us look like we are truly inferior to most G5 teams right now. They lose their QB and top WR the week before, come up here with all of this chaos for a road game at a packed Apogee, and just maul us all night long in a game where we were never really competitive on the scoreboard and saw our QB get the $hit beat out of him all night. 

Good assessment.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I agree 100%

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cerebus said:

Special Case. 

They not only were able to get transfers without them losing a year of eligibility, all of their transfers and recruits had their eligibility clock paused while the program was shut down for two years. 

OK, then, this years SMU and (depending on their most vital need.....usually QB) La Tech. 

15 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Special Case. 

They not only were able to get transfers without them losing a year of eligibility, all of their transfers and recruits had their eligibility clock paused while the program was shut down for two years. 

UAB this year is us last year....their schedule has been an absolute joke.

We'll see what they do this week against Tennessee

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Except we are not top dollar. Coaches get hired and fired in a market that includes all of the NCAA, promotions from HS, and guys wanting a break from the NFL.

We exist in this Difficult middle ground where we want the best possible coach out there, but we aren’t in the best position to get it every time.

there are a million coaches out there that would love to give us a chance.  But - for most of them - we are taking some kind of chance on them too.

We are not top dollar? This doesn't even make sense. Your analogy applies to everyone, everywhere. But, we actually pay the most money to have our coaching staff coach our team. The most money should, by minimal standards, get us to 6-6 bowl eligibility year in and year out. Arguing the basis of that is just being a SL homer without the willingness to look at our situation with realism. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, p_phelps said:

Good god stop with the we sucked forever so it's okay to suck again... hell no, we are putting money into the program like never before and expect to see results that follows... you have the wrong attitude 

It's not okay to suck again, but the point I have been trying to make is to be realistic in our expectations in regards to what SL took over, what needed to be done, and where we are headed.  What killed us was the immediate results, finding FIne and a few others thus accelerating the process.  Recruiting was the most difficult to turn around and we have done that with our last two classes.  The unfortunate part of the equation is that this will probably catch up to us next year and possible the year after, depending on how fast our young talent progresses.

• Downvote 1

Just now, UNTLifer said:

It's not okay to suck again, but the point I have been trying to make is to be realistic in our expectations in regards to what SL took over, what needed to be done, and where we are headed.  What killed us was the immediate results, finding FIne and a few others thus accelerating the process.  Recruiting was the most difficult to turn around and we have done that with our last two classes.  The unfortunate part of the equation is that this will probably catch up to us next year and possible the year after, depending on how fast our young talent progresses.

Ahhh, yes. Be patient. Time will get us settled in...It might take until year 7, but it will happen...Maybe...Hopefully. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2

37 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Just now, UNTLifer said:

Ahh, yes, making a stupid assumption again.  

What am I assuming? I have frustratingly stated that things will not be looking promising again until 2022 granted there is not a push for JUCO/transfers. You come in and second that opinion in a different form of verbiage in a light that makes it seam OK to be 'meh' until 2022. What am I assuming here? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

It might take until year 7, but it will happen...Maybe...Hopefully.  That assumption.

So many like to talk about Mike Leach when discussing coaches that lead turn arounds.  Well, Leach was 23-16 in his first three seasons at TX Tech and 8-5  in his fourth year.  At WSU, he was 12-25 his first three years before going 9-4 in his fourth.  Littrell is 23-18 through three years and probably on his way to a 6-6 season.  Fairly close to Leach, but based on the recent reactions around here, Leach would have never been given a fourth year (where he went 9-4 at WSU).  These takeovers take time to build, and our early success has spoiled people.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

My hope after we get thru this patch (& we will) is that SL closes what 24-7 says is a top recruiting class & then for the next 4 years shakes & bakes this thing into that vaunted next level. ❇️ WE ALL DESERVE FOR THAT TO HAPPEN NO MATTER YOUR DECADE AT OUR FAVORITE SCHOOL.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Travis said:

This years SMU wasn’t filled with juco. It was filled with transfers. And same with la tech, no?

transfers are a bit different than juco. 

Well, technically jucos are transfers. We didn't plant those guys in our garden and then two years later go pick them. Anyone not signed as a freshman is, in some form or fashion, a transfer. Loren Easley comes to mind first on our current roster. 

I just want us to do a better job of addressing our most pressing need(s) with transfers.

Of course I want us to do a better job of assessment with all our signings.......like La Tech has done for years, and SMU has done this year. 

On 10/28/2019 at 4:36 PM, UNTLifer said:

It might take until year 7, but it will happen...Maybe...Hopefully.  That assumption.

So many like to talk about Mike Leach when discussing coaches that lead turn arounds.  Well, Leach was 23-16 in his first three seasons at TX Tech and 8-5  in his fourth year.  At WSU, he was 12-25 his first three years before going 9-4 in his fourth.  Littrell is 23-18 through three years and probably on his way to a 6-6 season.  Fairly close to Leach, but based on the recent reactions around here, Leach would have never been given a fourth year (where he went 9-4 at WSU).  These takeovers take time to build, and our early success has spoiled people.

Yes, after Portland State we did (in the following years) have what some would consider as a dramatic turnaround.  
What SMU did after last year when we kicked their Pony butt all over Apogee Stadium (now considered ancient history on GMG) & when SMU didn’t even get “1“ first down in the 1’st half is almost an NCAA recruiting freak of nature.  Still wonder how other schools who have been light years ahead of SMU for half a century didn’t pull off that portal transfer thing themselves. Most of us wouldn’t have minded if we’d come in a close 2’nd place in portal transfer recruiting to fill some positions that could have made a difference in our W/L record this Fall—just like it has SMU.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen